UK Economy

World news discussion forum
GT93
udonmap.com

Re: UK Economy

Post by GT93 » September 20, 2019, 2:09 am

Perhaps AlexO could start a thread on that one. I expect quite a few readers might love the opportunity to thrash the EU with spin.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 20, 2019, 1:12 pm

The Pound is Slightly UP Again To-Day.......38.20 For 50 Pound Notes IF you've Got ANY !!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 20, 2019, 2:59 pm

Sterling jumps over a cent after European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker tells Sky News that he has no special attachment to the Irish backstop and he thinks that the EU and the UK could reach a deal. The pound is currently at $1.2575.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 22, 2019, 7:35 am

I suppose many Brits in Thailand are more attached to the value of the pound than the Brexit politics. That's understandable. It's moved so much it really affects people's lives.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 22, 2019, 9:21 am

Wow , i never realised that . Less income affecting peoples lives . Thats shocking .

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » September 22, 2019, 10:30 am

Brexit and the value of Sterling are linked. I am one who believes, (rightly or wrongly) that a clean break from the dictats from Brussels will see Sterling thrive. The finacial capital of the world, London, already deals with the major share of Euro buying and selling.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 22, 2019, 10:57 am

joudon wrote:
September 22, 2019, 10:30 am
Brexit and the value of Sterling are linked. I am one who believes, (rightly or wrongly) that a clean break from the dictats from Brussels will see Sterling thrive. The finacial capital of the world, London, already deals with the major share of Euro buying and selling.
Agree.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 22, 2019, 5:15 pm

GT93 wrote:
September 20, 2019, 2:09 am
Perhaps AlexO could start a thread on that one. I expect quite a few readers might love the opportunity to thrash the EU with spin.
This was posted by someone living in Holland, it’s worth a read.
Earlier today I asked the question " Would you vote Remain or Leave now you know more about the EU?" and a friend of mine posted this comment .... I've typed it out word for word as I believe that everybody, needs to know whats really happening in Europe by somebody who has lived in Holland for almost the past 4 decades.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS REGARDLESS OF WHAT SIDE OF THE BREXIT FENCE YOU FIND YOURSELF BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW WHATS NOT BEING GIVEN NEWS COVERAGE.

My friends own words ... not mine.

"I wish the Brits would take the time to see whats going on here. ... I'm a scouser living in Holland getting on 40 years now. .... It is just as bad, in some ways worse than in the UK. For example, Health Insurance is compulsory whether working or unemployed. My wife and I pay 250 euros per month and that is basic, no dentals, physios or extras. 2 major hospitals have shut down - there are no beds - the A&E is the same as the UK, families are asked to look after their parents because of shortages in Care.

The immigration problem is a laughing stock, food banks are noT coping, people in work are not making ends meet and are relying on food banks. .... Belgium, Germany and France have the same problems. Angela Merkel is stepping down as Prime Minister (Chancellor) but has forgot to tell everyone she has a secure high position in Brussels. .... Why would you want to be a member of a gang of pocket-filling thieves who do not care about their people? ... As for Junker ... don't get me started.

The EU countries are crumbling and no f*cker gives a"dangle-doo-dandy", so GET OUT while you can and maybe others will follow suit". .... They are scaring and flexing their muscles and hoping that it will turn around, because the membership fee the UK puts in every year will have to be put up by the remaining countries. .... Holland will have to double their fee we've been told. ... What other countries can afford this?

Spain, Greece, Italy all bankrupt, so you see the EU does not want to lose the UK and will bully any way to try to win it over by threatening the Northern Ireland deal, the fishing deal, giving back Gibraltar and whatever else they can get their grubby hands on, so don't be fooled, it's not a bed of roses, things are bad here and like I said, in some matters its worse.

The riots in France are not just about fuel tax, its about living standards. .... Belgium and Holland have also taken up the baton with the Yellow Jacket Demonstrators because they're tired of it. .... Take the time to find out yourselves, then you will be glad of Brexit, and like I've said, with sense, holland will follow suit" ....
BELIEVE EVEN MORE NOW WE MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO LEAVE LETS JUST HOPE BORIS GETS IT DONE.

Well, well, Mr Expert on all things, from the Land of Meth. What's YOUR SPIN on this. I watched Junker saying it will be Catastrophic for all the EU and the UK. Other remainer's have used "disastrous", "life threatening" etc etc. But absolutely no real evidence. These are all SPIN based on a dictatorship not wanting to lose a very large part of their budget. Come up with some real facts (like Black Swan and Kingfisher?????) that helps you gloat over happenings many thousands of miles from your sphere of knowledge.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 24, 2019, 4:43 am

thomas cook travel agency apparently floundered. didn't they see this coming several months ago?
now 150,000 u.k. nationals abroad on busted trips

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 24, 2019, 3:54 pm

mech_401 wrote:
September 24, 2019, 4:43 am
thomas cook travel agency apparently floundered. didn't they see this coming several months ago?
now 150,000 u.k. nationals abroad on busted trips
That is almost unbelievable. Almost.

Just up and shut down? Amazing. Saw today that all those stranded flyers are on their own to get to their next destination.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » September 24, 2019, 4:09 pm

Wrong as usual LS planes have been loaned to bring home all stranded passengers. No 1 will be left by the Collapse of Thomas Cook.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 25, 2019, 6:22 am

vlad wrote:
September 24, 2019, 4:09 pm
Wrong as usual LS planes have been loaned to bring home all stranded passengers. No 1 will be left by the Collapse of Thomas Cook.
The flyers are on their own to their next destination if it's not a return trip to the UK -- according to CNN. If that has changed since yesterday, so be it.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » September 25, 2019, 1:31 pm

Who cares what CNN Report ALL Thomas Cook tourist's will be repatriated. Incidentally the biggest repatriation since ww2. All Thomas Cook aircraft are grounded so no 1 is flying on. More fake news from yours Truly.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » September 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

I believe the Chinese were major shareholders in Thomas Cook . Probably why the Government didnt want to bail them out .
Im not hearing them offer any support to the stranded customers !!!
Now Merkel is having to bail out a German airline connected to Thomas Cook to save 5000 German jobs , But get this , she has to get it passed by the E U . Globalism at its very best .

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

"I believe the Chinese were major shareholders in Thomas Cook . Probably why the Government didnt want to bail them out ."
According to Wikipedia Ownership is
Invesco (19%), Standard Life Investments (10%), and the business magnate and investor, Guo Guangchang (7.03%). The remainder of the stock floats freely
So sorry Saint only 7% owned by some Chinese Billionare
Hope this helps

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 25, 2019, 6:13 pm

Lone Star wrote:
September 25, 2019, 6:22 am
vlad wrote:
September 24, 2019, 4:09 pm
The flyers are on their own to their next destination if it's not a return trip to the UK -- according to CNN. If that has changed since yesterday, so be it.
LS. are you serious???, how many people buy chartered flight tickets to fly to onward destinations. Jeez. And CNN think that is news?? Must have not been a mass shooting in the last couple of days in the good old US of A.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 25, 2019, 6:51 pm

AlexO wrote:
September 25, 2019, 6:13 pm
. . .
Is that you, Mr. Doodoo???

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

Wouldnt you like to know

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 25, 2019, 11:16 pm

And today the UK's last bus manufacturing company is now in the hands of the receivers. They used to make the 'Boris bus'.
Wrong. Why have all the banks set up European subsidiaries since the referendum? Because some financial services in the EU can only be done by EU companies, So Brexit was bad news for banks.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 26, 2019, 1:52 pm

The collapse of Fosun Group’s flagship European investment, Thomas Cook, is proving to be a reality check for the Chinese conglomerate’s ambitions to create a global travel empire via flashy acquisitions.
After months of talks to hammer out a $1.1 billion bailout package, Shanghai-based Fosun -- the biggest shareholder in Thomas Cook Group Plc -- decided against committing any more money toward rescuing the British inventor of the package vacation. For want of an additional 200 million pounds ($249 million) demanded by creditors, the indebted tour operator filed for liquidation this week.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/coll ... 00996.html

Return to “World News”