Wall type

General Udon Thani topics only!
gprit
udonmap.com

Wall type

Post by gprit » September 15, 2019, 8:15 pm

I asked about the roof in another post. This concerns the wall construction.

What's the best for insulation? Q-Con block? Red brick? Breeze block (what type of breeze block?
How does the price of each compare m2?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Wall type

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 15, 2019, 9:06 pm

gprit wrote:
September 15, 2019, 8:15 pm
I asked about the roof in another post. This concerns the wall construction.

What's the best for insulation? Q-Con block? Red brick? Breeze block (what type of breeze block?
How does the price of each compare m2?
If you are going for a single skin then AAC (Q-Con is one brand) is hands down the best and also fastest, so saving on labour, to put up. As the walls are flat you don't need a thick render so saving on materials and labour again.

The only time that cinder blocks can do as well as AAC is if you have a double skin wall and add insulation it then is at least as good and less expensive

The R value for a 7cm thick AAC block is 3.25, the grey block has an R value of only 1. Red brick has an R value of 0.4. Lastly 20cm AAC has an R value of 8.7

To break down the pricing per square meter the cost of an R value of 1

AAC 7.5cm 87 Baht per sm - r value 1
AAC 20cm 84 Baht per sm - r value 1 [old price]
Red brick 505 Baht per sm - r value 1 [old price]
Cinder block 179 Baht per sm - r value 1 [old price]

Of course the actual R number for AAC is 3.25 so the cost per square meter is divided by 3.25 and for red bricks you need to multiply the price by 2.5

This is from a posting from 2012 that is where the [old price] comes from and as I remember it was on Teakdoor.

I have broken down the calculation to give as cost equivalent of the R value as 1 because just giving a cost per square metre is deceptive. If you don't care about insulation and just want a wall then cinder blocks are the cheapest.

If you want insulation and to be able to hang anything anywhere on the walls then AAC is an easy choice.

I have a room with cinder blocks and hate fitting things to it, in contrast to the AAC blocks in the workshop where I just drill and put in a wall plug anywhere, after I learned to get the hole size correct rather than allowing for the plug to expand, I've not had a plug come out and have some significant heavy stuff on just a couple of screws.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 15, 2019, 9:25 pm

Best suggestion is to Google each and find out what their R Value is. The greater the number the greater the insulation value But also is a Plastic vapor barrier
So Google is you savior

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » September 16, 2019, 3:08 pm

Cavity wall is the only way to go and not expensive
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Just use AAC blocks. Brilliant heat insulation, brilliant ease to install. We had a lovely looking bungalow in Laos but could not go into before 10pm while the walls cooled down because of bricks retaining heat. Cavity sounds good but a great place for all the wee beasties (some not that wee). 150mm ACC Blocks for all external walls. Just be careful our builder insisted on brick walls in the Hong Nam's (wet rooms) maybe not that good in permanent wet areas. Best of luck with your build.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”