Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Dual-pricing for foreigners now legal at Thai public hospitals

Post by semperfiguy » September 9, 2019, 9:13 am

At the end of October I will be going to the Army Hospital for my 90 day check-up and purchase of additional meds, so I'll report back on the status of prices of services and medications. Perhaps others can do that as well and then we can see if these farang price increases are actually being implemented, and to what degree the prices go up if at all.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 9, 2019, 9:24 am

semperfiguy wrote:
September 9, 2019, 9:13 am
At the end of October I will be going to the Army Hospital for my 90 day check-up and purchase of additional meds, so I'll report back on the status of prices of services and medications. Perhaps others can do that as well and then we can see if these farang price increases are actually being implemented, and to what degree the prices go up if at all.
Does your health insurance not cover outpatient costs, or do you not have insurance.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » September 9, 2019, 9:49 am

semperfiguy wrote:
. . . the Army Hospital for my 90 day check-up and purchase of additional meds
. , .
I was under the impression from one of your previous posts that you were going to Bangkok Udon Hospital and had great results from there. Did I misread your post?

I'm not being critical. I was just enthused about your results.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 9, 2019, 10:14 am

semperfiguy wrote:
The announced increases were/are for public hospitals and clinics.

Does the Army Hospital fit into that category, as it already seems to set its own prices?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 9, 2019, 6:33 pm

Lone Star wrote:
September 9, 2019, 9:49 am
semperfiguy wrote:
. . . the Army Hospital for my 90 day check-up and purchase of additional meds
. , .
I was under the impression from one of your previous posts that you were going to Bangkok Udon Hospital and had great results from there. Did I misread your post?

I'm not being critical. I was just enthused about your results.

Yes, I did exit the ER at the Army Hospital when I had my heart problem in 2016 since they were ill-equipped to treat me, and I went directly to BHU and was cared for beautifully, but for minor emergencies and annual health check-ups I still use the Army Hospital. You really can't beat the service and prices for the annuals. I also have to have 90 day check-ups for my INR readings related to my taking a blood thinner medication. I pay only 50 baht for the doctor visit and 70 baht for the blood test, and the 3mg Warfarin tablets are only 4.75 baht each. At BHU I had to pay 900 baht for the doctor and blood test, and the meds were through the roof. I have to wait a few hours at the Army Hospital, but I have nothing but time on my hands, plus I've made great acquaintances with the docs and nurses over the past 9 years and I get VIP treatment. They now have a "fast track" queue for those over 70 years old, so the typical wait time for me is substantially reduced.

Actually, I'm not sure if the Army Hospital is considered a public hospital, but I will find out in late October and report back here if the prices have changed for farangs.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 9, 2019, 9:39 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 7, 2019, 9:01 am
Lone Star wrote:
September 7, 2019, 6:17 am
eagle wrote:
September 6, 2019, 8:43 pm
I just wonder…

An European coming to Thailand using visa of any kind. He must pay medical cost and sometimes have a medical insurance, not always.

A Thai going to Europe using a visa of any kind. He must always have medical insurance to cover medical costs.

So...?

An European coming to Thailand and after got residence permit. He must pay medical cost, but with lower price as Thai people do.

A Thai going to Europe and have residence permit. He has to pay medical costs, no insurance and cost is same as locals pay.

So...?

Key word is resident (or visitor using only visa). Resident can get cheaper medical coverage, someone using visa or extension of visa not. Same rule applies in Europe and in Thailand.

Why we say that in Thailand it is not good, when in Europe it is good?

I live in Thailand and my address is in Thailand. If I go to my home country, I have to pay exact the same fee as any Thai pays. Social security and prices based on that are only for people who are resident in that country. My nationality is based on that country, but nationality does not matter, because it has to be resident, not citizen.

I would like to see how many of us claiming this system to be unfair are really resident of Thailand. With visa extension we are only visitors and we should not have same rights, because our own home countries do not give those to visitors either.

Our home countries have dual pricing and will have in the future also. Most of us just do not see that, because we are citizens there.
Excellent Analysis!
The issue here maybe is, how easy is it to get resident status in Thailand? Why can't expats be extended this courtesy if they are living here long term. Seems like we a being kept on visas, so we can be overcharged.
I think it is all about control, the real powers in Thailand keep the Thai population down, foreigners who would become citizens or residents would be harder to control and manipulate as we have come from countries with more freedom and rights and not be so willing to go along with the B.S.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » September 10, 2019, 8:46 am

Treatment costs in Finland for foreign patients
In Finland, you must pay either the municipal resident’s client fee for treatment received in public health care or all costs of the treatment. The payment is affected by the country from which you came to Finland, whether you have fallen suddenly ill during your stay in Finland or whether you have travelled to Finland for the express purpose of utilising the health care services.
https://www.choosehealthcare.fi/what-yo ... -patients/

Foreign patients get resident´s client fee, if they reside in Finland or are citizens of EU/EEA. Like Thai people and citizens of ASEAN in Thailand. Usually working in Finland means medical insurance paid by employee and no need to use public healthcare. In Thailand working and paying tax means cheaper healthcare for foreigners. And then there is almost all the rest who pay all the costs for service. Sounds fair, because that group has never paid anything to fund that service. Applies to many countries.

Not strange to me. If want to get service funded by tax money, you have to pay tax. If not, you pay more.

So we can forget racism card, because foreigners can get cheaper price, if work or pay tax. If not contributing the system, public hospital fee in Thailand is 50% more expensive than for taxpayer.

I am sorry to be from European Union country. Based on EU, we have different price for citizens of EU and people coming from outside of EU. So dual-pricing is normal in Europe.

Same applies i.e. to Australia. If I get sick there, I can get cheap public healthcare. If someone from Germany goes there, he pays full costs (RHCA/Medicare). So, also Australia has dual-prices for foreigners.

In NZ and China one must work to have a possibility to get public healthcare -or be a citizen of Australia for NZ. If not working, pay full price. Dual-price for foreigners also there.

I repeat my point: Why this is not good in Thailand, when back in our home countries this is an acceptable and common way to do?

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » September 10, 2019, 8:53 am

eagle wrote:
September 10, 2019, 8:46 am
Treatment costs in Finland for foreign patients
In Finland, you must pay either the municipal resident’s client fee for treatment received in public health care or all costs of the treatment. The payment is affected by the country from which you came to Finland, whether you have fallen suddenly ill during your stay in Finland or whether you have travelled to Finland for the express purpose of utilising the health care services.
https://www.choosehealthcare.fi/what-yo ... -patients/

Foreign patients get resident´s client fee, if they reside in Finland or are citizens of EU/EEA. Like Thai people and citizens of ASEAN in Thailand. Usually working in Finland means medical insurance paid by employee and no need to use public healthcare. In Thailand working and paying tax means cheaper healthcare for foreigners. And then there is almost all the rest who pay all the costs for service. Sounds fair, because that group has never paid anything to fund that service. Applies to many countries.

Not strange to me. If want to get service funded by tax money, you have to pay tax. If not, you pay more.

So we can forget racism card, because foreigners can get cheaper price, if work or pay tax. If not contributing the system, public hospital fee in Thailand is 50% more expensive than for taxpayer.

I am sorry to be from European Union country. Based on EU, we have different price for citizens of EU and people coming from outside of EU. So dual-pricing is normal in Europe.

Same applies i.e. to Australia. If I get sick there, I can get cheap public healthcare. If someone from Germany goes there, he pays full costs (RHCA/Medicare). So, also Australia has dual-prices for foreigners.

In NZ and China one must work to have a possibility to get public healthcare -or be a citizen of Australia for NZ. If not working, pay full price. Dual-price for foreigners also there.

I repeat my point: Why this is not good in Thailand, when back in our home countries this is an acceptable and common way to do?
If this post is accurate,then it's a excellent information for all of us living here in Thailand fulltime.I agree 110%..but what about me/anyone married to a Thai and SHE pays tax,should I be included or excluded in the double pricing...just a thaught.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 10, 2019, 1:12 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
September 10, 2019, 8:53 am

If this post is accurate,then it's a excellent information for all of us living here in Thailand fulltime.I agree 110%..but what about me/anyone married to a Thai and SHE pays tax,should I be included or excluded in the double pricing...just a thaught.
Assuming you have some form of pension, are you paying Thai taxes on it? Probably not. US pensions/social security payments are taxed by the US government, not by the Thai government

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 13, 2019, 11:37 am

This morning I went to the Military Hospital for a routine blood test and chest X-ray. Got there at about 7:45, the waiting room is full. The waiting time was about hour ( last time 10 min wait). My itemized bill show the very same cost structure as the one displayed, in Thai, on the nurse desk at the reception desk. So I would like to believe that there is no DUAL pricing here. BTW excellent service by smiling staff and at a very good price...
[attachment=0]BLOOD-2-CR-.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
BLOOD-2-CR-.jpg

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 13, 2019, 6:46 pm

Has anyone used a bill such as shown by the-monk to file a claim with a U.S. insurance company for reimbursement?

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » September 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Just an update on the military hospital current charges. Went there yesterday, suspected appendicitis, saw Dr after about an hour waiting, sent me for blood and urine test then back to Dr, suggested ultra sound and possible CT scan , have to go back next week for them .The bill for today was ,blood test, 270bht, urine test 70bht and Dr 50bht , so no double charging there .The big thing they warned me the CT scan is expensive, around 10, 000bht and they were quite apologetic about it. they needn't have worried when I got home I checked both local private hospitals and they quoted in excess of 40,000bht .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » September 18, 2019, 12:46 pm

Good news Mr. Old Grumpy, but maybe we should keep this quiet, i don t want to end up with HORDE of falang at my next visit. Have a nice day.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » September 18, 2019, 2:43 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
September 18, 2019, 12:03 pm
Just an update on the military hospital current charges. Went there yesterday, suspected appendicitis, saw Dr after about an hour waiting, sent me for blood and urine test then back to Dr, suggested ultra sound and possible CT scan , have to go back next week for them .The bill for today was ,blood test, 270bht, urine test 70bht and Dr 50bht , so no double charging there .The big thing they warned me the CT scan is expensive, around 10, 000bht and they were quite apologetic about it. they needn't have worried when I got home I checked both local private hospitals and they quoted in excess of 40,000bht .
Coming pricing will be effective on September 29th (link in 1st message: The new rates come into effect Sept. 29.).

There is also a link to prices and a note that foreigner will be classified to his price group by local healthcare unit. If not get so called normal price, i.e. CT scan for full paying foreigner would be 15 000 thb instead of 10 000 thb (Foreigner price is 150% of Thai price). If pay tax based on earnings or pension, gets of course Thai price based on Social Security.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » October 17, 2019, 3:05 pm

Back to the Military hospital this morning for a blood test and to see the doctor in the afternoon.
Blood test charges: each test same as before.
New Charge: Administration charge 50 THB.
Consultation with the doctor in the PM. No medical issues, all ok, no prescription. min chat. NO FEE.
[attachment=0]50thb.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
50thb.jpg

Return to “Health & Beauty”