Chiang Mai

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
mally
udonmap.com

Chiang Mai

Post by mally » August 26, 2019, 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,

My GF wants to visit Chiand Mai for a week ... it's never interested me, especially with what I've read about the air quality and influx of Chinese, but it looks like I'll have to spend a little time there, so -
Any recommendations for which area to stay in ? She will want things to visit during the day, and I like a drink at night time.
I'm well past the back packer adventure things, so I'm looking for somewhere a little interesting for her, and not too quiet at night for me.

On a different topic - I applied for the GF (Lao, but lives in Thailand) a Visa to come and stay with me in the UK for a while. First attempt, and she was granted a Multi Entry 6 month Visa, (much to my surprise as I've read elsewhere how many people have had problems). So, if anyone is interested, I can tell them how we went about it and what documents we supplied. I'm not going to do a post about it, unless there's someone looking for guidelines.

The main thing is where to book a hotel in Chiang Mai.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: Chiang Mai

Post by Lone Star » August 26, 2019, 3:10 pm

mally wrote:
August 26, 2019, 2:38 pm
Hi Guys,

My GF wants to visit Chiand Mai for a week ... it's never interested me, especially with what I've read about the air quality and influx of Chinese, but it looks like I'll have to spend a little time there, so -
Any recommendations for which area to stay in ? She will want things to visit during the day, and I like a drink at night time.
I'm well past the back packer adventure things, so I'm looking for somewhere a little interesting for her, and not too quiet at night for me.

On a different topic - I applied for the GF (Lao, but lives in Thailand) a Visa to come and stay with me in the UK for a while. First attempt, and she was granted a Multi Entry 6 month Visa, (much to my surprise as I've read elsewhere how many people have had problems). So, if anyone is interested, I can tell them how we went about it and what documents we supplied. I'm not going to do a post about it, unless there's someone looking for guidelines.

The main thing is where to book a hotel in Chiang Mai.
It's not my favorite city either, but I've been there a lot in the recent past.

Anywhere between the Ping River (on the east side of ChM) and the Old City Square will have lots to do -- including the Night Bazaar and places to eat and drink. Lots of good hotels in that area too.

Highly recommend the River Market Restaurant on the Ping River for great meals and a good place to have some drinks and watch the world go by.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+R ... authuser=0

Decent Mexican restaurants there. Loco Elvis is one of the best. Other than having a need for good Mexican food since moving here, I usually eat Thai food and eat at the River Market Restaurant.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels on the east side.

- Hotel M Chiang Mai is on the east side of the city and next to the Tha Phae Gate. It's close to a lot of things to do.

Good luck!
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 26, 2019, 3:15 pm

Forgot one.

Last time I was there, went to a restaurant out west of the city: Galae

It was fabulous.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Galae ... authuser=0

I also stayed at the Dusit Princess a couple of times.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dusit ... authuser=0

I've never had a bad experience at any of the Dusit hotels.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » August 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

Duangtawan off Loi Kroh is close to the night market and is value for money, serving excellent breakfast. Chang Mai has some great drives out in the country, superb golf and adult entertainment along Loi Kroh. The previous recommendation of the Rivermarket restaurant is right on the money. If you have transport, the an individual gardens are beautiful. Hope you enjoy the stay.

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » August 27, 2019, 3:01 am

Some good info there - thanks Lads

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » August 28, 2019, 3:50 am

Mally,
Previous post should have read an individual gardens

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » August 28, 2019, 3:57 am

Mally,
For some reason when l type in the name of the botanical gardens at Mae Rim it defaults to ‘individual gardens’ given that the gardens are named after a member of the royal family, unsure why. Having said that, they are well worth the drive, if a senior (60+) no charge for admission.

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » August 28, 2019, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info lads, but .... as I'm sure you will all have experienced .... the GF has changed her bloody mind !
She wants to go somewhere else - not sure where yet, but anything for a quiet life.
But the info is there for me now, if (and it's a possibility) she changes it back again
:roll:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 28, 2019, 8:24 pm

You were making going to CM too easy mally ........... she's probably feeling that she hasn't WON anything, so therefore it lost it's appeal :lol:

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 29, 2019, 2:06 pm

trekkertony wrote:
August 28, 2019, 3:57 am
Mally,
For some reason when l type in the name of the botanical gardens at Mae Rim it defaults to ‘individual gardens’ given that the gardens are named after a member of the royal family, unsure why. Having said that, they are well worth the drive, if a senior (60+) no charge for admission.
The Map's a real hoot on that one. The next individual of Australia is individual Charles III.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Travel & Transport”