Special Dining for Mother's Day +1

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
tamada
udonmap.com

Special Dining for Mother's Day +1

Post by tamada » August 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

There are three mums in the tam household and I want to treat them to dinner for Mother's Day. Pretty sure that most places would be busy TODAY so planning the outing on Tuesday or Wednesday when it will be quieter.

So I am looking for members recommendations for wholesome, tasty, Thai cooking, nothing pretentious, just good tasting local food, fresh fish and seafood with good service. Decent parking a plus.

Ta
tam

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Special Dining for Mother's Day +1

Post by Doodoo » August 12, 2019, 9:08 pm

The Barbecue restaurants all you can eat places are usually a hit shrimp, pork some have music

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 12, 2019, 10:55 pm

tamada wrote:
August 12, 2019, 7:46 pm
There are three mums in the tam household and I want to treat them to dinner for Mother's Day. Pretty sure that most places would be busy TODAY so planning the outing on Tuesday or Wednesday when it will be quieter.

So I am looking for members recommendations for wholesome, tasty, Thai cooking, nothing pretentious, just good tasting local food, fresh fish and seafood with good service. Decent parking a plus.

Ta
tam
Bueng Mai Hom Restaurant
East ring road between Big C and Global House headed north.

I can't say enough good things about this place. Food, service, prices, parking, staff. Live music, but you can still have a conversation.

Very popular with families and special occasions.

Highly recommend.

BMH 01.jpg
BMH 02.jpg

Pictures on Google Map.

We do Mothers Day and birthdays here every year.

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 13, 2019, 5:44 am

Agreed , Very nice place and not over the top on prices , which i guess Tam being a Jock will appreciate .

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 13, 2019, 5:47 am

saint wrote:
August 13, 2019, 5:44 am
Agreed , Very nice place and not over the top on prices , which i guess Tam being a Jock will appreciate .
Yes, and there are outdoor tables and a covered area with tables.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say I've been there over 100 times in 15 years. I've never had a bad meal or a bad experience there.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2019, 10:58 am

Doodoo wrote:
August 12, 2019, 9:08 pm
The Barbecue restaurants all you can eat places are usually a hit shrimp, pork some have music
Good call but they can also be a bit of a miss. I guess the busy ones are best value?

Anyway, all-you-can-eat will make sister-in-law very happy but ya isn't one for traipsing back and forth. Good idea when feeding the kids and teenagers though.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2019, 11:01 am

Lone Star wrote:
August 12, 2019, 10:55 pm
tamada wrote:
August 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

Ta
tam
Bueng Mai Hom Restaurant
East ring road between Big C and Global House headed north.

I can't say enough good things about this place. Food, service, prices, parking, staff. Live music, but you can still have a conversation.

Very popular with families and special occasions.

Highly recommend.

BMH 01.jpg

BMH 02.jpg

Pictures on Google Map.

We do Mothers Day and birthdays here every year.

This is virtually across the street and we've probably eaten there 3 times in 15 years. I can honestly say that the last time was maybe 12 years ago and we weren't too impressed. Maybe time to give it a reprise.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2019, 11:05 am

I did some google searches and came up with the place where the last big family outing maybe 8 years ago was a success and all were impressed. It's ภัตตาคารระเบียงพัชนี or Rabiang Patchanee with tables overlooking Prajak lake. I recall they had off-road parking back then but that looks like it's no longer an option with all the building around it. Anyone dined there recently?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rabia ... 02.7846017

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

About 6 months ago . Park on street now , food and service as ever excellent .

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 13, 2019, 1:50 pm

tamada wrote:
August 13, 2019, 11:05 am
I did some google searches and came up with the place where the last big family outing maybe 8 years ago was a success and all were impressed. It's ภัตตาคารระเบียงพัชนี or Rabiang Patchanee with tables overlooking Prajak lake. I recall they had off-road parking back then but that looks like it's no longer an option with all the building around it. Anyone dined there recently?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rabia ... 02.7846017
Let me add my recommendation although it has been a good while ago since I last ate there. My experience was unique as our table was near the road and a small elephant appeared for us to buy food (sugar cane?) and feed. :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2019, 9:56 pm

With evening rain always a threat, we opted for Bueng Mai Hom. I was mistaken when I said earlier that previous visits hadn't been great. I had confused Bueng Mai Hom with the smaller, lakeside place same side but a bit further south towards the traffic lights. We had eaten several times at Bueng mai Hom and it's always been good.

Total of 11 adults and 3 kids so doubled up on the orders of around 6 dishes + a fish so that each half of the long table didn't have to stretch too far. No beer so the bill came to only 4040 baht. Great service

One of the waitresses is truly stunning so that eye-candy did me for dessert.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 14, 2019, 5:10 am

. . .
I was mistaken when I said earlier that previous visits hadn't been great. I had confused Bueng Mai Hom with the smaller, lakeside place same side but a bit further south towards the traffic lights.

. . .
I went to that same one about 11 years ago -- once -- never returned. Food was okay, service not so hot; but there's nothing there.

I'm glad you had a good experience at Bueng Mai Hom. It's my favorite restaurant in Udon Thani.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”