Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: and you thought prices were high in Udon

Post by Marcosteffano » August 11, 2019, 4:11 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 11, 2019, 8:44 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
August 9, 2019, 7:28 pm
Udon isn't cheap.nws market isn't cheap compared to makro.thailand isn't cheap.for instance.magners 105bt in Chinese cash n carry.20b in Sainsbury's uk.beer 18 large cans for 740b or 24 small cans of crap Leo ,good loaf of bread 90b,uk 27b.dirty electricity that blows things up and have black outs the same price as proper electricity here in the uk.anything farang costs 2-5 times the price even though the pound has lost almost 30% against the baht since brexit morning.the best one I've come across is furniture polish at 8 times the price of uk.cars are just as bad.im just about to buy a car here in the uk and I can say it would be 8 times the price there.slazenger tshirts 3 for 220b and 125-150 each in Thailand but don't last a dozen washes.the only real things I see as cheap in Thailand is chicken,rice,petrol and house tax..i came back here for 6 months but it's so cheap,clean,safe ive kissed goodbye to my return flight and not coming back for the foreseeable future.i do feel for quite a few of the friends in udon as they are on set pensions and must be going through hell with the rate of the baht.oh and my local does a nice real pint of Abbott ale for 145b or 120b for lager.sorry to say this but Thailand has had its day.ps I've got a house land,car,scooter for sale cheap and I'll throw in me wife.😃
I don't usually write a book on this forum but I think this needs a few extra words.

I don't know where you live in the UK but down in Essex the cost of living exceeds by far the cost to live in Udon.
Unless you own your property in the UK to rent a 3 bed detached house would cost you 30000 bht a month plus Council tax, another 3000bht, Udon 10000bht. Utilities, gas, electric, water and sewerage a total rip off since privatisation, UK about 5000bht, Udon 2000bht/month, my Electric bill is about 500bht, water is free. Food I find cheaper in the Uk. Diesel currently twice the price. Building materials alot cheaper, Labour? To have someone cut your grass, UK, 500 bht an hour, Udon, 400bht a day. Vehicle maintenance and repair, by far cheaper in Udon. Motorcycles cheaper.
When you take in all the other crap such as Car Parking everywhere you go/Traffic Wardens/Cctv, congestion charges, emission charges, etc, 20% Vat on most stuff, not cheap. Air fares no great change in my 15 years of travel.
I also can't help noticing, who buys furniture polish?
2nd hand motors have always been expensive over here, I still don't know why?
I don't know who you fly with but I remember paying £299 with Phuket air back in 2005.this time I paid over £700 with BA and that was the cheapest by far.i use furniture polish but I wouldn't if I had to buy it in Thailand.
To put thing into perspective if I said my daily outgoings were 2,500b a day for house and car I'm left with 5,000b a day.if I worked in Thailand for say 40,000b a month which we all know is mega salary after renting a house and running a car I would be lucky to have 5,000b left after the month and also a better quality of life including not eating pesticides,drinking chemically enhanced beer and being able to use the roads safely.lets not even go into free medical care and emergency services.when things like Internet cost roughly the same here and Thailand but you earn 20 times the wage,theres the answer.

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » August 11, 2019, 4:15 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
noosard wrote:
August 11, 2019, 12:46 pm
Craft beers to me are homebrew at premium prices
Not had one I would buy a second of.
Coukdnt agree more .. craft beers have become popular the world over obviously including Thailand but IMO.they are all.to same same most bAsed on an ipa style just with a different flavour and daft name ..tried many but only one i could say i would buy was Fresh Squeezed Ipa by Deshuttes USA ...

I think the craft beer craze was just that a fad as now seeing a slow down in the market and less being produced .

Cant comment on the quality of the brewing procedues but i dont sell.em or drink em.so.not fussed.

Earlier post reclected on the many add on costs in the uk like council.tax tv license sewage bill... etc i had forgotten about stuff like that ..can add up.to a big chunk of cash to factor into.the basic cost of living in blighty

Dm
Budget at least £200 per month + for these bills / 7500THB

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 12, 2019, 7:59 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
August 11, 2019, 4:11 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Marcosteffano wrote:
Udon isn't cheap.nws market isn't cheap compared to makro.thailand isn't cheap.for instance.magners 105bt in Chinese cash n carry.20b in Sainsbury's uk.beer 18 large cans for 740b or 24 small cans of crap Leo ,good loaf of bread 90b,uk 27b.dirty electricity that blows things up and have black outs the same price as proper electricity here in the uk.anything farang costs 2-5 times the price even though the pound has lost almost 30% against the baht since brexit morning.the best one I've come across is furniture polish at 8 times the price of uk.cars are just as bad.im just about to buy a car here in the uk and I can say it would be 8 times the price there.slazenger tshirts 3 for 220b and 125-150 each in Thailand but don't last a dozen washes.the only real things I see as cheap in Thailand is chicken,rice,petrol and house tax..i came back here for 6 months but it's so cheap,clean,safe ive kissed goodbye to my return flight and not coming back for the foreseeable future.i do feel for quite a few of the friends in udon as they are on set pensions and must be going through hell with the rate of the baht.oh and my local does a nice real pint of Abbott ale for 145b or 120b for lager.sorry to say this but Thailand has had its day.ps I've got a house land,car,scooter for sale cheap and I'll throw in me wife.😃
I don't usually write a book on this forum but I think this needs a few extra words.

I don't know where you live in the UK but down in Essex the cost of living exceeds by far the cost to live in Udon.
Unless you own your property in the UK to rent a 3 bed detached house would cost you 30000 bht a month plus Council tax, another 3000bht, Udon 10000bht. Utilities, gas, electric, water and sewerage a total rip off since privatisation, UK about 5000bht, Udon 2000bht/month, my Electric bill is about 500bht, water is free. Food I find cheaper in the Uk. Diesel currently twice the price. Building materials alot cheaper, Labour? To have someone cut your grass, UK, 500 bht an hour, Udon, 400bht a day. Vehicle maintenance and repair, by far cheaper in Udon. Motorcycles cheaper.
When you take in all the other crap such as Car Parking everywhere you go/Traffic Wardens/Cctv, congestion charges, emission charges, etc, 20% Vat on most stuff, not cheap. Air fares no great change in my 15 years of travel.
I don't know who you fly with but I remember paying £299 with Phuket air back in 2005.this time I paid over £700 with BA and that was the cheapest by far.i use furniture polish but I wouldn't if I had to buy it in Thailand.
To put thing into perspective if I said my daily outgoings were 2,500b a day for house and car I'm left with 5,000b a day.if I worked in Thailand for say 40,000b a month which we all know is mega salary after renting a house and running a car I would be lucky to have 5,000b left after the month and also a better quality of life including not eating pesticides,drinking chemically enhanced beer and being able to use the roads safely.lets not even go into free medical care and emergency services.when things like Internet cost roughly the same here and Thailand but you earn 20 times the wage,theres the answer.
With respect Sir your figures
Marcosteffano wrote:
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Marcosteffano wrote:

With Respect Sir your figures are way out, using your own numbers, 40000bht salary in Udon, you can earn 20 times that? 800,000bht a month or 21,600 pounds a month, average UK yearly salary is about 30,000 pounds a year.
As for flights, I've never paid over 600 pounds return, use different airlines, always off peak, at least twice a year for 15 years. My current ticket cost me 450 pounds return with Swiss Air.
Nhs is very good but rapidly deteriorating, I use travel Insurance, long term residents I guess have health insurance.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 12, 2019, 10:21 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 12, 2019, 7:59 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Marcosteffano wrote:

With respect Sir your figures
Marcosteffano wrote:
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Marcosteffano wrote:

With Respect Sir your figures are way out, using your own numbers, 40000bht salary in Udon, you can earn 20 times that? 800,000bht a month or 21,600 pounds a month, average UK yearly salary is about 30,000 pounds a year.
As for flights, I've never paid over 600 pounds return, use different airlines, always off peak, at least twice a year for 15 years. My current ticket cost me 450 pounds return with Swiss Air.
Nhs is very good but rapidly deteriorating, I use travel Insurance, long term residents I guess have health insurance.
Yes I actually earn up to 20 times what a Thai does 3-400b a day.i also don't fly around the earth the wrong way to get back to the uk.£299 in 2005..£700 now and that was after song kram in low season.your either in self denial or have been stuck in a dark room for years because your trying to say prices haven't changed over the last decade.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 12, 2019, 11:18 am

With Respect Sir your figures are way out, using your own numbers, 40000bht salary in Udon, you can earn 20 times that? 800,000bht a month or 21,600 pounds a month,

Really ?? Doing What ? Are YOU A Brain Surgeon ????

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 12, 2019, 2:59 pm

Budget at least £200 per month + for these bills / 7500THB

Plus anything you use or buy with the exception of uncooked food and children's clothing has a massive VAT (Value Added Tax. I truly wish I could get my hands on the halfwit who came up with that one) charge of 20% imposed most of which goes to keeping the hugely expensive EU organisation in Brussels and Strasbourg funded. Then they can tell us that the money they give us back (around 30%) to do what 'they' want in your Country is actually a grant from the EU who know better how to spend your money rather than you, a silly wee Member State. Biggest con game in town.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 13, 2019, 5:37 am

Niggly wrote:
August 11, 2019, 9:15 am
I’ve still not managed to teach Mrs N the difference between want & need
Be careful what you wish for !
I taught my Mrs that lesson a long time ago , and she is now very frugal , buys what she needs ,and occasionally the odd luxury item she wants , but does way up the want and need question in her own head .
However it can come back to bite your sorry arse .
I recently saw a really nice car i fancied , just for a change .
Spoke to her about it , and was flatly told i do not need a new car . [-( [-(

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 13, 2019, 5:40 am

I just think our Marco isnt that good with sums !
But he must be a whizz with a duster .

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 13, 2019, 6:23 am

I agree Saint, just to make sure that I'm not in denial or dreaming in that dark room, I just looked up the flight for my next planned trip on Skyscanner, out on 27/11/19, return 25/02/20, Thaiairways ticket for 473 pounds direct.
You have to wonder also for such a "high flyer" on the income front why Marco didn't fly business class.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 13, 2019, 6:57 am

Some good information on this thread. If someone new to Thailand is considering long vacations in or retiring to Udon Thani, in my opinion a reasonable single man can find several dozen or more comfortable and well managed hotels with rates of 400 to 500 baht a day and in convenient locations (within and about Ring Road). Automobile purchases are similar in price to those in your home country. Car and bike rental rates can be estimated by looking at the rental ads in the home page.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 13, 2019, 7:52 am

I accept that used cars are expensive here compared to the U K , but the high price also applies when you sell .
You only have to look at the classifieds on here to see that .
Here they do not rust , and maintenance is far , far cheaper in Thailand .
So once purchased they are far cheaper to run , including go juice !!!!
Compare cost per kilometer to run a car here , including , fuel , depreciation , insurance , road tax and maintenance , and its got to be a lot cheaper .
I wont get started on housing costs .
I also flew Phuket Air in 2005 3 weeks after the sunami for 265 pounds , in a clapped out ex KLM jumbo that was subsequently grounded at Heathrow about a month later for being un airworthy . Shortly after they went bust .
We can all massage figures to prove our point , but to be realistic , you must compare like for like . =;

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 13, 2019, 8:13 am

Thailand is still way cheaper than abroad ....it is maybe nice for someone who is planning to move to make the comparison with abroad , but once you live here stop comparing with abroad but compare your prices only within LOS,
for many people Thailand has become expensive because they never could leave their falang habits from abroad , fe regarding food , (or way of building a home, buying unnecessary luxury items ....enc...)still needing too expensive imported falang food products, if you rely on all of these than yes Thailand is expensive ,i have changed my preferences to what the country has to offer without investing in the exuberant taxes invented by some greedy government , so many local things you can buy that aren't labeled with excise tax ...,only those imported goods i compare with prices abroad to know the difference , although it is becoming rarely , as i do not need them anymore fe , i always bought local wines but due to the crazy alcohol taxes (boxed wine going from 150baht/L to 300?) implied to fill the government pockets i simply stopped drinking wine ..., and having no problem with this , but we all are different ... ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 13, 2019, 9:58 am

Buy ..want ..need ..or as stated adapt as your own budgets and mindset allow .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 13, 2019, 11:39 am

Seems to be 2 camps here when talking basics, retired and still working.

1) Those Retired... then your bed is made, some have less now and unfortunately are struggling because of exchange rates(don't worry guys that will come good) some have more in the piggy bank and aren't concerned with the exchange rates for now and will whether this short storm and adjust accordingly month to month. Don't know if I could follow kopkei's lead and give up wine totally?

2) Those Still working and living in Thailand....its not outside the realms that some are able to earn 200K to 500K a month. That large range depends on the currency you are paid in, and at this point in time are maybe able to keep money off shore for a while till things improve. They still have to budget like everyone but have the advantage of working.

Maybe a 3rd camp, those who live overseas with the intention of moving to Thailand permanently and for now just visit and financially support loved ones on a regular basis, not holidays, They are most likely following the monetary trends and able to learn from the current situation and adjust their savings plan for the future move.

I suppose another factor is educating and asking one's Suay tillak to understand how things are not as good as they were in the past, and adjusting to do the same with less. The ladies may never have really had to manage long life savings before. And those who have taken on the new family with the additional expense of young kids or newborns, will also have to hold back.

Overall IMO its way cheaper to live in UT than the majority of places.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 13, 2019, 1:52 pm

Only time will tell,the baht-pound today is at a low ive never seen before (Bkk bank fx) and it don't look like stopping.
Yes Thailand is cheap if you go native and live like a Thai but most of us haven't moved to Thailand to do so.
I'm sorry but I think there are more people moving out of Thailand than in and even the tourists with their bags of cash are giving it a miss.
I think most of us who moved to Thailand done so because of love and how cheap it was but that's come to an end.
I class myself as lucky because I have a nice home and small business in Thailand but enough is enough and I've come back to the uk where there's lots of work and high wages.the only problem is I won't be changing it into baht when I come back.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 13, 2019, 2:36 pm

Thinking about high prices: If you or someone in your family had been considering selling a gold asset, this may be a good time to examine and track the spot price of gold. In the last twelve months the spot price of gold has increased by about twenty five percent. My guess is that the recent gold price increases are being driven by India's, Iran's, and a host of other's military posturings. :(

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 13, 2019, 3:21 pm

TJ wrote:
August 13, 2019, 2:36 pm
Thinking about high prices: If you or someone in your family had been considering selling a gold asset, this may be a good time to examine and track the spot price of gold. In the last twelve months the spot price of gold has increased by about twenty five percent. My guess is that the recent gold price increases are being driven by India's, Iran's, and a host of other's military posturings.
I think gold has risen due to the US- china trade war and people are looking for a solid investment at the moment.hence the rise in crypto money rising too.this trade war will be in for a long time as it's not just about trade with china.they have some underlying plans and trump ain't having none of it,god bless the man.hes the only one with balls to stand up to the red bar stewards.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

I think the real question for a lot of people and especially them from the uk is how much does the baht have to appreciate before they say to themselves enough is enough im out of here.ive seen 5 baht rise in the last 4 months and it's not stopping even though the government has jumped in and tried to halt it soaring.i think a lot of people are hoping on brexit going through and saving the day but it could also go the other way and we could easily see sub 30b to the pound what with the trade war,global economic down turn and the EU stabbing us in the back because we don't want to be part of their un democratic gang of dictators with all their laws and rules.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”