udonmap.com

and you thought prices were high in Udon

Post by Barney » August 9, 2019, 3:53 pm

GT93 wrote:
noosard wrote:
June 17, 2019, 9:53 am
Having just been to NZ this year, I disagree on the price of beer
Thai beer is way cheaper
Even with the bad exchange rate here in Thai about 2.50 to 3 dollars nz for a large bottle lucky to get a stubbie for that in NZ
There are quite few brands where the price of a single large bottle of beer is 75 to 80 baht in a supermarket or liquor store. Some of those bottles are a bit larger than the Thai large ones. The price of beer in a bar here is pretty steep.
Why are you providing false information by providing prices from supermarkets in NZ when prices mentioned for Udon are bar prices. It’s at least 100bht minimum for a beer in a NZ pub. 5 NZD.
Maybe you don’t go out to much. Being lonely in a bar is the pits. Eh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: and you thought prices were high in Udon

Post by Marcosteffano » August 9, 2019, 7:28 pm

Udon isn't cheap.nws market isn't cheap compared to makro.thailand isn't cheap.for instance.magners 105bt in Chinese cash n carry.20b in Sainsbury's uk.beer 18 large cans for 740b or 24 small cans of crap Leo ,good loaf of bread 90b,uk 27b.dirty electricity that blows things up and have black outs the same price as proper electricity here in the uk.anything farang costs 2-5 times the price even though the pound has lost almost 30% against the baht since brexit morning.the best one I've come across is furniture polish at 8 times the price of uk.cars are just as bad.im just about to buy a car here in the uk and I can say it would be 8 times the price there.slazenger tshirts 3 for 220b and 125-150 each in Thailand but don't last a dozen washes.the only real things I see as cheap in Thailand is chicken,rice,petrol and house tax..i came back here for 6 months but it's so cheap,clean,safe ive kissed goodbye to my return flight and not coming back for the foreseeable future.i do feel for quite a few of the friends in udon as they are on set pensions and must be going through hell with the rate of the baht.oh and my local does a nice real pint of Abbott ale for 145b or 120b for lager.sorry to say this but Thailand has had its day.ps I've got a house land,car,scooter for sale cheap and I'll throw in me wife.😃

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » August 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

i agree with most of your post,but does anyone actually still buy slazenger tshirts?oh and leave your wife out the deal,much better chance of a sale

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 10, 2019, 8:04 am

How can you sell anything in Thailand if you if you have no intention of coming back ?
Assuming everything is in your name , which of course the land is not .

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 10, 2019, 8:54 am

go the supermarket here in Thailand and large bottles about 50 to 55 baht
and bar prices start about 80 baht for large bottle
Go to Oz next month so will see the prices there for a drop of ale or two

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 10, 2019, 11:51 am

A lot of selective truths about prices.

It always strikes me that there is a direct corellation on this forum between those who talk about beer and those who complain. Maybe lay off the booze and you wouldn't be depressed....just a thought

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 10, 2019, 3:17 pm

noosard wrote:
August 10, 2019, 8:54 am
go the supermarket here in Thailand and large bottles about 50 to 55 baht
and bar prices start about 80 baht for large bottle
Go to Oz next month so will see the prices there for a drop of ale or two
330ml stubby of Leo about 35b a pop when bought by the dozen at my local Aldi. Pot of Carlton or VB at the local club over 110b a pop. Pint of craft beer 280b - 350b a pint in a city pub. I still feel like I'm getting value for money in LOS.
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 10, 2019, 4:52 pm

Beer prices Aussie bottlo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 10, 2019, 5:06 pm

The new currency converter is beer ..love it ..

Corona is a dam.fine bevvy but was alway pricy here

Dm.will.stick.to.chang promo.at accoustic 3 big uns for 200.

Never compared prices here to.UK.... so cant comment on utilities shopping clothes etc. The only thing i miss from.blighty is a cold crisp frosty morning ..super fresh clean air .. as the stuff we breath here is a tadge different .

Dm.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 10, 2019, 5:48 pm

saint wrote:
August 10, 2019, 8:04 am
How can you sell anything in Thailand if you if you have no intention of coming back ?
Assuming everything is in your name , which of course the land is not .
If you read my post properly I have no intention of coming back in the near future,not forever.as for selling my property I have a usufruct on it and just because it's in my wife's name doesn't mean I can't sell it.she is my wife and does as she's told.i possess the dreeds and my name is on the deeds so she can't sell nothing without me and wouldn't anyway.
I take it your wife owns your property or you rent and can toss you out at anytime.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 10, 2019, 5:58 pm

I seem to remember there's a scale that is used to give an general cost of country by country where they use the cost of the Big Mac meal.most of us probably use beer prices as we drink and at Thai prices it's a big part of the budget.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 10, 2019, 6:07 pm

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
August 9, 2019, 8:17 pm
i agree with most of your post,but does anyone actually still buy slazenger tshirts?oh and leave your wife out the deal,much better chance of a sale
I would rather wear a Slazenger t shirt than a his and hers matching shell suit soft lad.😃

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » August 10, 2019, 6:31 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 10, 2019, 5:06 pm
The new currency converter is beer ..love it ..

Corona is a dam.fine bevvy but was alway pricy here

Dm.will.stick.to.chang promo.at accoustic 3 big uns for 200.

Never compared prices here to.UK.... so cant comment on utilities shopping clothes etc. The only thing i miss from.blighty is a cold crisp frosty morning ..super fresh clean air .. as the stuff we breath here is a tadge different .

Dm.
I think comparing prices form the uk and Thailand is just looking at the value of the item especially when you get paid by the pound.i call chang,Leo and singa dirty beer as I get a nasty hangover and it's fattening where as here in the uk I don't suffer from these problems.no frost here today but it feels like April with the wind and rain.roll on oct and spot on about that crisp clean oxygen.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » August 10, 2019, 11:55 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
August 10, 2019, 6:07 pm
TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
August 9, 2019, 8:17 pm
I would rather wear a Slazenger t shirt than a his and hers matching shell suit soft lad.😃
can remember someone having his and hers matching scooters riding around NWS,like a xxxxx version of posh and becks :D anyway ive got a business idea for you keep your head down earn some cash while in uk,but on your return instead of flying back,drive back in your newly purchased car but fill the boot with slazenger t shirts and furniture polish,small stall on NWS market, bobs your uncle this time next year rodders you could be a millionaire :D

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 11, 2019, 8:44 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
August 9, 2019, 7:28 pm
Udon isn't cheap.nws market isn't cheap compared to makro.thailand isn't cheap.for instance.magners 105bt in Chinese cash n carry.20b in Sainsbury's uk.beer 18 large cans for 740b or 24 small cans of crap Leo ,good loaf of bread 90b,uk 27b.dirty electricity that blows things up and have black outs the same price as proper electricity here in the uk.anything farang costs 2-5 times the price even though the pound has lost almost 30% against the baht since brexit morning.the best one I've come across is furniture polish at 8 times the price of uk.cars are just as bad.im just about to buy a car here in the uk and I can say it would be 8 times the price there.slazenger tshirts 3 for 220b and 125-150 each in Thailand but don't last a dozen washes.the only real things I see as cheap in Thailand is chicken,rice,petrol and house tax..i came back here for 6 months but it's so cheap,clean,safe ive kissed goodbye to my return flight and not coming back for the foreseeable future.i do feel for quite a few of the friends in udon as they are on set pensions and must be going through hell with the rate of the baht.oh and my local does a nice real pint of Abbott ale for 145b or 120b for lager.sorry to say this but Thailand has had its day.ps I've got a house land,car,scooter for sale cheap and I'll throw in me wife.😃
I don't usually write a book on this forum but I think this needs a few extra words.

I don't know where you live in the UK but down in Essex the cost of living exceeds by far the cost to live in Udon.
Unless you own your property in the UK to rent a 3 bed detached house would cost you 30000 bht a month plus Council tax, another 3000bht, Udon 10000bht. Utilities, gas, electric, water and sewerage a total rip off since privatisation, UK about 5000bht, Udon 2000bht/month, my Electric bill is about 500bht, water is free. Food I find cheaper in the Uk. Diesel currently twice the price. Building materials alot cheaper, Labour? To have someone cut your grass, UK, 500 bht an hour, Udon, 400bht a day. Vehicle maintenance and repair, by far cheaper in Udon. Motorcycles cheaper.
When you take in all the other crap such as Car Parking everywhere you go/Traffic Wardens/Cctv, congestion charges, emission charges, etc, 20% Vat on most stuff, not cheap. Air fares no great change in my 15 years of travel.
I also can't help noticing, who buys furniture polish?
2nd hand motors have always been expensive over here, I still don't know why?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 11, 2019, 9:01 am

[quote=Marcosteffano post_id=551277

I think comparing prices form the uk and Thailand is just looking at the value of the item especially when you get paid by the pound.i call chang,Leo and singa dirty beer as I get a nasty hangover and it's fattening where as here in the uk I don't suffer from these problems.no frost here today but it feels like April with the wind and rain.roll on oct and spot on about that crisp clean oxygen.
[/quote]

Whatever whereever we buy anything the value of the item is paramount ..by that .. value as in how much do we really want or need to make the purchase ..
Lots of price comparisions to be nade between the uk and Thailand but if i had to place a bet i would say overall its less expensive to.live here on most things... obviously a few exceotions such as second hand cars etc

Good point made earier .. general.labour costs maintaince repairs n gardening etc ...no chuge all.out charges fir plumbers n sparkies .. gardeners n cleaners big difference

Btw thai beers are more or less chemically produced / brewing is a word used loosely here ..various chemicals are added to.prolong the shelf life and the humidity n heat ..hence a stinking hangover after a decent session .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 11, 2019, 9:15 am

I’ve still not managed to teach Mrs N the difference between want & need.
Last edited by Niggly on November 12, 2019, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » August 11, 2019, 9:55 am

I think we are all in that box Niggly.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 11, 2019, 12:46 pm

Craft beers to me are homebrew at premium prices
Not had one I would buy a second of.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 11, 2019, 1:22 pm

noosard wrote:
August 11, 2019, 12:46 pm
Craft beers to me are homebrew at premium prices
Not had one I would buy a second of.
Coukdnt agree more .. craft beers have become popular the world over obviously including Thailand but IMO.they are all.to same same most bAsed on an ipa style just with a different flavour and daft name ..tried many but only one i could say i would buy was Fresh Squeezed Ipa by Deshuttes USA ...

I think the craft beer craze was just that a fad as now seeing a slow down in the market and less being produced .

Cant comment on the quality of the brewing procedues but i dont sell.em or drink em.so.not fussed.

Earlier post reclected on the many add on costs in the uk like council.tax tv license sewage bill... etc i had forgotten about stuff like that ..can add up.to a big chunk of cash to factor into.the basic cost of living in blighty

Dm

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”