Ashes 2019

General sports news and discussions.
Barney
udonmap.com

Ashes 2019

Post by Barney » July 31, 2019, 5:46 pm

Tomorrow is the big day for the ashes series to start.
5 tests in all.
Rumour out of England is the weather should be ok for the 5 days.
Will be a shock if Australia do not pick Mitchell Starc first game. Hoping Warner and Bancroft to have a huge impact opening for the series.
England’s dilemma appears to be in the openers and where Roy will bat.
Good luck to all players and both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samster
udonmap.com

Re: Ashes 2019

Post by samster » August 1, 2019, 9:54 am

Barney wrote:
July 31, 2019, 5:46 pm
Tomorrow is the big day for the ashes series to start.
5 tests in all.
Rumour out of England is the weather should be ok for the 5 days.
Will be a shock if Australia do not pick Mitchell Starc first game. Hoping Warner and Bancroft to have a huge impact opening for the series.
England’s dilemma appears to be in the openers and where Roy will bat.
Good luck to all players and both teams.

Cant see it being a classic series to be honest. England have left out Archer which surprises me but, maybe resting him for later in the series.

Batting confidence will be a big thing and, whoever gets a good start will go on to win the series comfortably. I hope its England but am not convinced.

Mentioning Warner and Bancroft reminds me that, even if the Aussies win we will have the moral victory. :D :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Ashes 2019

Post by Barney » August 1, 2019, 12:17 pm

Nice first thrust of the Sabre samster but easily deflected in the early stages.
Ben Stokes the well known British kiwi thug had come out and stated as part of sandpapergate that it’s weird “the Aussies being so nice” and further commentators have realized the Aussies may kill England with kindness as smiling assasins.
But I think we will quietly revert back to verbally advising England how well they are doing each session.
The usual nasty aggressiveness of the English will come on the first day from the Parocial crowd at edgebastion with lots of heckles for Bancroft, Warner and Smith, naturally egged on by the other thug in the England team, bairstow who loves to lead off with a “ Liverpool Kiss” as per his antics in the last 4-0 loss series in Australia.
Archer must be injured not to be picked as he was fast tracked from the Windies into the England team to take on the Aussies.
Jimmy Anderson could be the difference once again, he has certainly been a warrior in English conditions with his swing ability.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 1, 2019, 5:20 pm

Early gloat.

Poetic justice for one of the cheats early doors. Didn’t review one that was missing the stumps. The Pakistani is in early

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 1, 2019, 7:58 pm

Didnt even get time to "rough up" Warner.

Bancroft, they say, got a "thick edge" suppose that means sandpaper thick instead of fagpaper thick

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 2, 2019, 5:31 am

What a knock. What a batman. Got more talent in his little finger than the other 21 players who took part yesterday put together. Those dick heads Warner and Bangcroft cost him up to 10 test centuries in the last 18 months. And the old fella broke down - what a tragedy.
Watch Me!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 2, 2019, 7:12 am

Yes his batting has improved soooooo much since Sir Alister and the Essex coaches took him under their wing.
A number 10 that can come in at "crisis time" and match an already "set" batsman, Smith, (44 out of 88) is a rarety indeed.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 2, 2019, 12:01 pm

The kid that played a couple of club seasons at Hopper's Crossing and learned how to be a man and a cricketer bowled ok too... until Smith got hold of him of course.
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 3, 2019, 6:08 am

Great knock and excellent concentration from Burns last night. Luck on the side of the hosts with the bails staying on for Root and the umpires all of a sudden very gun shy after firing them on day 1. England should have a healthy first innings lead and wrap it up on day 4.
Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 3, 2019, 10:22 am

Agree, a great knock by Burns but, still dont see him as a long term test batter.

Just reviewed the weather for Brum and, it looks like there might be some rain in the air for the next few days. Might save the convicts from a hammering.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 3, 2019, 10:34 am

Im sure i read somewhere that the Colonials expected to beat England 5 nil .
Is it not going according to plan then ?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 3, 2019, 11:21 am

saint wrote:Im sure i read somewhere that the Colonials expected to beat England 5 nil .
Is it not going according to plan then ?
Of course we expect to win 5-0, who goes into a game not thinking they will win. Only those who have never played sport I suppose.
I have been traveling for the past 24 hours and now see that Mr Burns has posted a maiden test century. Well done to him. Not many have achieved that.
Not knowing much about the local England weather, only that it is mostly dark and gloomy, I hope the rain holds off.
At only the 2nd day still a lot of time to go.
Umpiring is 2nd rate for both sides so far.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 3, 2019, 1:40 pm

"Of course we expect to win 5-0, who goes into a game not thinking they will win. Only those who have never played sport I suppose. "

Which is probably why football is not a major sport down under ........... As a Newcastle Utd supporter I cant remember the last time I watched a game that I didn't expect to lose ............ it makes the occasional win much more satisfying :lol:

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 4, 2019, 5:49 am

We have a game as long as a couple of donkeys can hang in with The Steve for a few hours. Would love to set 220 plus because the pommy and world 11 middle order looks to be as brittle as a biscuit (minus the kiwi crim scumbag of course).
Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 4, 2019, 9:46 am

I reckon a lead of 150 would be enough. Burns wont score big again and, Root apart, we have no-one with a Test Match mentality.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 4, 2019, 10:10 am

samster wrote:I reckon a lead of 150 would be enough. Burns wont score big again and, Root apart, we have no-one with a Test Match mentality.
C’mon Samster,
Your not conceding are. Thought you were made of tougher metal than our Newcastle soccer supporter who gives in before the whistle has blown.
There’s still a possible 180 overs to go. Get out of the 50 over game mindset, as I have said before a long way to go and test matches can change by the hour.
If the weather holds out a favourite will appear by or just after lunch.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 4, 2019, 10:16 am

Not giving up Barney. Your lot are not Test batsmen either. I reckon we will chase down about 100 (Roy 70 NO) with the 5th day redundant for the colonists to lick their wounds

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » August 5, 2019, 5:46 am

samster wrote:
August 4, 2019, 10:16 am
Not giving up Barney. Your lot are not Test batsmen either. I reckon we will chase down about 100 (Roy 70 NO) with the 5th day redundant for the colonists to lick their wounds
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Normal transmission resumed. Your lot are a fkn rabble and the non test batsmen make 500 on a day 4 wicket that is turning square. The soap dodgers bowling pies and dropping catches for fun. The Steve continues with his Bradman impressions and even Matty Wade gets a ton. Only the rain can save the world 11 and if you don't resort to your usual doctoring of wickets I just can't see any way that you will be competitive in this series.
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 5, 2019, 6:08 am

Samster
I did smile when you posted your predictions.
Unfortunately not one have or will come to fruition but credit must be given for having a crack.
Leading contender for man of the series Steve Smith had a blinder again with his blade. The other 21 blokes on the field are in a much lower sphere at this point in time. Why did England wait so long to bring Woakes into the attack?
385 to get for England today and a major cricketing historical event will have to be made to reach that target.
Forgetting wickets, having to score at over 4 an over all day for the 90 overs is almost mission impossible. Roy will try to provide some 50 over style bravado.
Crystal ball says a very interesting day but all roads lead to an Aussie victory with the Aussies having a couple of quiet pints in the local before a healthy ploughman’s lunch for dinner with England licking their wounds for the last session.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 5, 2019, 9:52 am

Cant see us getting 380+ in a day so, will have to settle for a draw. No pace in the pitch and, I've just seen Garry's 4th innings bowling stats which are pretty poor. Would be quite an achievement if, after losing an important toss, the world 10 (minus our best player) salvage something against 10 Aussies and an Asian.

Return to “World Sports”