Udon Thani International Airport

General Udon Thani topics only!
pal52
udonmap.com

Udon Thani International Airport

Post by pal52 » July 17, 2019, 7:31 am

Maybe Udon will get a International Airport next Year.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1713 ... l-airports

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Thani International Airport

Post by FrazeeDK » July 17, 2019, 8:37 am

ICAO certification, Thai government support to "fix" any issues at Udon, additional budget for Immigrations and Customs officers to staff arriving/departing International flights and of course, airlines that see a profit to be made.. AOT
Dave

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 17, 2019, 9:04 am

the question is will udon infrastructure (roads)be able to handle more ? it is all getting congested already ...
and meaning more people higher prices again ? ...i liked udon better 15 years ago .. :(

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » July 17, 2019, 10:36 am

Does Udon Thani truly suffer from the lack of an international airport? Is there a recognizable demand for such a facility? It may seem reasonable that it would benefit seaside cities that are tourist attractions. But Udon Thani?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 17, 2019, 10:40 am

kopkei wrote:
July 17, 2019, 9:04 am
the question is will udon infrastructure (roads)be able to handle more ? it is all getting congested already ...
and meaning more people higher prices again ? ...i liked udon better 15 years ago .. :(
Me too . As for roads , they could start with the one that runs alongside the terminal building . :roll:

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 17, 2019, 11:14 am

A parking garage would be nicer than the muddy field. Ahh paradise.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 17, 2019, 1:14 pm

Seems there's been a few attempts at direct international flights......?Bangkok Air? to Seoul......another airline to Singapore. Both were short lived.....I thought because of a lack of demand.
It's only a matter of time before it happens.....the newer generation isn't going to want to fly south to Bangkok so they can fly north to China.
For now, having direct flights to Phuket and Chiangmai.....and to be able to choose over 20 flights to Bangkok per/day.....I'm a happy camper.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » July 17, 2019, 1:32 pm

The growth in popularity of the airport over the last 10 years is crazy. My first flight to Udon in around 2007 only had a handful of people on it and on arrival I stood outside waiting to be picked up and don't remember seeing many cars, if any, outside. Now you struggle to see spaces.
The airport's use has grown through domestic flights and as much as I'd like to see international flights back again I can't see the demand being high enough to make it last.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 17, 2019, 2:29 pm

I may be one of the few here on UM who has used Udon Airport internationally.

In April 2007, when I moved full time to Udon, I flew from Singapore to Udon on Tiger Air. The flight was pretty much full - mainly I think with locals returning home from their labouring jobs in Singapore for Songkran.

I then did a trip the other way that year, and that flight was also full(ish). Again, the cabin seemed to be made up mainly of Isaan men flying to work in Singapore.

I was very happy to be able to miss Bangkok (I think Swampy had just opened), and cut a fair bit of time and cost off the full trip from/to Oz. I was therefore disappointed when the route was cancelled - to my understanding, not because of load factors, but because Tiger Air wanted the planes for their newly opened operation in Australia.

I would certainly welcome a re-opening of the Udon/Singapore route.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

My first time in Udon was 1996, and Thai operated a morning and an evening flight. I believe there is a demand for international flights, especially Singapore, Hong Kong and mainland China. IMO they have been prevented for political reasons. The powers in Bangkok do not want an international gateway through Udon as it might be a bit more difficult to control. People in the NE( Issan) are still viewed negatively by the ruling elite.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » July 17, 2019, 2:55 pm

Anything is better than going via either of the BKK airports - also flying to Hanoi or Luang Prabang as examples, you fly down to BKK only to fly back over Udon, what a waste !
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 17, 2019, 4:13 pm

parrot wrote:
July 17, 2019, 1:14 pm
Seems there's been a few attempts at direct international flights......?Bangkok Air? to Seoul......another airline to Singapore. Both were short lived.....I thought because of a lack of demand.
It's only a matter of time before it happens.....the newer generation isn't going to want to fly south to Bangkok so they can fly north to China.
For now, having direct flights to Phuket and Chiangmai.....and to be able to choose over 20 flights to Bangkok per/day.....I'm a happy camper.
I tend to disagree. Udon is not ready for International flights even to China. Somewhere along the line there will be a re-connection required so and if a direct flight can obtained in Bangkok to that destination why not take advantage of the numerous flights down there and reduce the stopover time?

I tried the Tiger option Jack was talking about to PER via SIN once = never sat on another Tiger plane to this day. IMHO Flights to BKK then direct to PER on Thai International is and was the much better option!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 17, 2019, 4:22 pm

joepai wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:55 pm
Anything is better than going via either of the BKK airports - also flying to Hanoi or Luang Prabang as examples, you fly down to BKK only to fly back over Udon, what a waste !
So what percentage of the Thai and/or Expat population, in Udon and surrounds, would you expect want to fly to Hanoi or Luang Prabang directly on a - daily - weekly - monthly basis? A matter of economics has ALWAYS been the demise of the UTH International route attempts!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 17, 2019, 8:10 pm

Anyone wishing to fly to Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City, Luang Prabang etc can do so very easily by simply crossing the border and flying from Vientiane. 2 years ago 4 of us cyclists flew to Hanoi with our bikes from Vientiane. It definitely beat flying to Bkk and then to Hanoi. We're heading to Taiwan with our bikes this year leaving from Vientiane once again for another cycling adventure.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 20, 2019, 4:35 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 17, 2019, 2:29 pm
I may be one of the few here on UM who has used Udon Airport internationally.

In April 2007, when I moved full time to Udon, I flew from Singapore to Udon on Tiger Air. The flight was pretty much full - mainly I think with locals returning home from their labouring jobs in Singapore for Songkran.
And yet, last year Thai Airways told me I'd have to run through Immigration at Bangers as UTH was not international. So it sounds like they've had one crack at it in 2007 but not been successful. What are the blockers, readers?

How are you, Jack, I hope you're keeping well.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

Earnest wrote:
July 20, 2019, 4:35 pm

How are you, Jack, I hope you're keeping well.
I'm doing fine, thanks westers. Still fighting the good fight.

You don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping the loonies in line, on the other side. 8-[

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 20, 2019, 5:51 pm

I posted before my views, 'blockers' you say, well IMO Udon airport has been prevented from becoming a successful international hub becacuse Udon was and is the home of the opposition to Bangkoks rule. A one man one vote democratic system wold see the party that took Issan ALWAYS in power as happened on 4 occasions. I have seen Udon and the people go from relative prosperity to downright poverty and they are now reaping the cruel wrath of the Bangkok elite.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 20, 2019, 6:09 pm

Yes, as good a theory as any, I suppose. Although, if I use my wife's modest property renting portfolio as a measure then I would say prosperity is picking up this year? But yes, opening up UTH as an international hub would open up more business for the region.
jackspratt wrote:
July 20, 2019, 5:45 pm
You don't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping the loonies in line, on the other side. 8-[
OK, I'll try harder, old chap. :D
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » July 20, 2019, 6:16 pm

I live in a farming village most of the time and I haven't seen much 'picking up ' unfortunately. It is a sorry state when people can work and work but cannot work themselves out of poverty.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 20, 2019, 6:23 pm

Agreed but hasn't it always been like that in the rural areas of Isaan?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”