World Cup

General sports news and discussions.
Manxlad
udonmap.com

Re: World Cup

Post by Manxlad » July 15, 2019, 11:03 am

Well said marjamlew... as a neutral ( I’m manx not English )
It was a great game, worthy of a final and a game no team deserved to lose
My heart goes out to the kiwis as they must be devastated, and no words of commiseration will ease their pain
Looking forward to the ashes now, but got to admit test cricket lacks the thrills, twists and turns of ODI and the all out bash and thrash or 20/20
But love watching the sheer passion of both great cricket nations ply their trade in the ashes series

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 15, 2019, 12:32 pm

Now you blokes have finished with the BS and congratulating each other, I doubt there was one Aussie who was supporting the Poms, especially when there was a mistake on the Pom run count, should have been 5 not 6 when the ball hit stokes bat, so don’t forget the other World Cup just completed which the Aussies won.
Australian rowers Crowned World Cup Champions in Poland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

What a weekend for sports fans , and im not just saying that cuz England won, just !!!!
You had a fantastic final in the cricket . Mens final in the tennis was just epic , The scottish open went to a playoff , and Hamilton won the British G P for the record sixth time , with relative ease . Great viewing all of it .

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » July 15, 2019, 2:02 pm

England win Cricket World Cup: A golden hour ends in a champagne super over,for those who hadn't noticed.
1966: football world cup
2003:rugby world cup
2019:cricket world cup

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 15, 2019, 3:14 pm

goodison wrote:England win Cricket World Cup: A golden hour ends in a champagne super over,for those who hadn't noticed.
I’ll give you this much goodison, looking at those stats you Poms are certainly proving to be a patient lot when waiting to win a first or subsequent world trophy. In England’s self perceived best at sports. ImageImage
Thanks for the trip down that long memory lane it was ‘66 I started to follow MU devils. Was around that 66 World Cup time. They were the only team that ever got any news in Aussie all those many decades ago.
Good luck to the Aussies in chasing 5-0 whitewash next cricket tournament.

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » July 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Barney...who actually gives a F... what you Aussies think or support ( apart from Aussies )
The run count was not the England teams fault or error, it was an umpires error..so get over it
As ever the traditional Aussie bad loser..if beaten fair and square then result to nit picking and irrelevant playground ---- stirring

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 15, 2019, 9:16 pm

So who actually won, I know it wasn't Scotland so actually doesn't really matter.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 16, 2019, 8:43 am

goodison wrote:
July 15, 2019, 2:02 pm
England win Cricket World Cup: A golden hour ends in a champagne super over,for those who hadn't noticed.
IMG_0002.jpg
Actually you left out Seniors World Cup, played in Udon 2009. :lol: The result will keep both England and Aussie fans happy - the final was abandoned, following a torrential downpour, England leading at the time if I recall correctly. Agreed to share the trophy. Great fun, all players very committed.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 16, 2019, 10:48 am

Barney wrote:
July 15, 2019, 12:32 pm
Now you blokes have finished with the BS and congratulating each other, I doubt there was one Aussie who was supporting the Poms, especially when there was a mistake on the Pom run count, should have been 5 not 6 when the ball hit stokes bat, so don’t forget the other World Cup just completed which the Aussies won.

Barney I'll go as hard as anyone with the BS, banter and all out abuse while the game is still alive but in the true Aussie spirit once the game is over and the result known I'll happily shake hands and have a beer and a laugh with the opponent win, lose or draw. Poms didn't make up the rules or interpret them incorrectly so I reckon they won fair and square. Kiwis proved the old adage that in sport as in life you don't have to be dead to be stiff, but they have there very own world cup to play with later in the year if I am not wrong (I'm an Aussie rules man and know very little about the bum sniffing).
Look forward to the Ashes and in the true spirit of Glen McGrath the 5 zip result.
Watch Me!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 16, 2019, 10:50 am

Barney wrote:

Extract: ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Former ICC elite panel umpire Simon Taufel said England should not have been awarded 6 runs for the overthrow in the final over of their chase against New Zealand in the World Cup final at Lord's on Sunday. =; =;

What does the ICC rule say 19.8 Overthrow or willful act of fielder: "If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the willful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side and the allowance for the boundary and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act."

Barney: So true, you just have to wonder how these Umpires can get it so wrong in such an important event at such a crucial point in that game.

I just can’t see, why the TMO upstairs could not interject/call down, to that Ump and say its 5 runs not 6. :confused: :confused:

The important part of Rule 19.8 (if we are playing by the rules) is....... "together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the INSTANT OF THE THROW OR ACT''. If the Umpires were not looking at the Fielder at that time of throw, then they should have gone up to the TMO and the TMO should have reviewed the Video Replay, to see exactly where the two batsman were, at the time ball was thrown by the Fielder, and then advised the Umpires accordingly. [-X [-X

There will be a day when some sports fan or someone who wagered a bet on that game, decides after an Umpires error to take the Umpire to the Civil Court and claim for Financial Losses/Damages. The sporting elite/governing bodies cannot stop this happening and as the right of an individual to lodge a complaint with a civil court, remains absolute.

Both the Umpire as an individual and the Sporting Body governing that event, are mean to know what their own rules say and abided by them during that match and if they dont, then they can be held liable for the financial losses of others,if their in-actions has resulted in that loss. It will be an interesting court test. :-k :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
July 16, 2019, 10:50 am
Barney wrote:

Extract: ICC Cricket World Cup 2019: Former ICC elite panel umpire Simon Taufel said England should not have been awarded 6 runs for the overthrow in the final over of their chase against New Zealand in the World Cup final at Lord's on Sunday. =; =;

So true, you just have to wonder how these Umpires can get it so wrong in such an important event at such a crucial point in that game.

I just can’t see, why the TMO upstairs could not interject/call down, to that Ump and say its 5 runs not 6. :confused: :confused:

There will be a day when some sports fan or someone who wagered a bet on that game, decides after an Umpires error to take the Umpire to the Civil Court and claim for Financial Losses/Damages. The sporting elite/governing bodies cannot stop this happening and as the right of an individual to lodge a complaint with a civil court, remains absolute.

Both the Umpire as an individual and the Sporting Body governing that event, in my view, can potentially be held liable for the financial losses of annother if their actions are in error. It will be an interesting court test. :-k :-k

pipoz4444
It is not as clear cut as the Aussie Umpire states.
The rule is not really clear & could be interpreted as the umpires decided.

What does the law say?
Law 19.8 - overthrow or willful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the willful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:
Any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
the allowance for the boundary; and
The runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
There is some potential for ambiguity in the law, because "act" could be interpreted as the moment the ball deflected off Stokes' bat.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » July 16, 2019, 12:45 pm

aussies an kiwis as always full of st1t ...

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Hi pal52

It’s just a view from someone who has been in the game more than me. He and others in the ICC, should know how to read their own rules, rather than leave them open to interpretation. It will be interesting to see if the ICC come out with their own formal statement, on that umpire decision.

If they (the ICC) don't come out with a formal statement on it, (an the stay silent on the matter), then it will suggest that the ICC's concurs with Mr. Simon Taufel's view, but doesn't want to acknowledge it.

If however the ICC does come out with a formal statement, presenting their own view and rejecting that of Mr. Simon Taufel, then it may demonstrate otherwise. It will be interesting to see how long the ICC officially stay silent on the matter. :-k :-k [-( [-(

Also the Umpire concerned in making that on field decision, Mr. DK, didn't exactly have a good game 2 days earlier, did he?? [-X [-X

Two days earlier the Pom’s wanted to lynch him over Jason Roy incident.

pipoz4444

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

And you lot have the audacity to call us whinging poms .Coming from experts i suppose we should all be flattered !
England won , and you colonials lost . In a nutshell .

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 16, 2019, 1:12 pm

Maybe in matches, such as this, when one man’s decision can have such a profound effect on others (in this case the whole team of the losing side), the ICC should think about having two (not one) TMO’s upstairs, who do have the ultimate authority to interject and so overrule the Field Umpires, given the TMO’s have the benefit of the slow motion Video Replays

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 16, 2019, 1:14 pm

saint wrote:
July 16, 2019, 1:12 pm
And you lot have the audacity to call us whinging poms .Coming from experts i suppose we should all be flattered !
England won , and you colonials lost . In a nutshell .
Who used the word "whinging" :

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2019, 1:23 pm

pal52 wrote:
July 16, 2019, 12:14 pm

What does the law say?
Law 19.8 - overthrow or willful act of fielder:

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the willful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be:
Any runs for penalties awarded to either side;
the allowance for the boundary; and
The runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act.
There is some potential for ambiguity in the law, because "act" could be interpreted as the moment the ball deflected off Stokes' bat.
Without wanting to enter into the overall argument (because I don't really care one way or the other), I wonder how the deflection off the bat could be considered an act of the fielder, let alone a willful one - unless of course the fielder deliberately aimed his throw at the batter/bat. :-k

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » July 16, 2019, 2:28 pm

The way the umpire ruled is that the 4 extra runs were caused by the act of the ball hitting the bat at which point the players had crossed.

It is the rule which is not clear & I would doubt the ICC will criticize the Umpire because he called as he saw it.

It was not the last ball of the game so if only 5 runs were given who knows what Stokes would have done with the next ball knowing he needed 2 more runs.

It is all supposition as to what might have happened but the fact is the Umpires decision stood & the game went into a super over which was also drawn.

England then won on scoring the most boundaries.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 16, 2019, 5:02 pm

So In your own options who should have actually won

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 16, 2019, 5:40 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 16, 2019, 5:02 pm
So In your own options who should have actually won
Score-book says the Poms won.Winners are grinners and losers can punch on in the car park. My opinion is that Australia should have won (because we usually do) but in this case opinions are like arseholes - the result is settled.
Watch Me!!

Return to “World Sports”