World Cup

General sports news and discussions.
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: World Cup

Post by Barney » July 12, 2019, 4:54 am

The Aussies certainly saved the worst till last.
Final should be a good one.
Both trying for a first World Cup win. Plenty of incentive to play well

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 12, 2019, 7:10 am

Did England win ? Are they in the final ? No that cant be true . You colonials had England written off weeks ago !!!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 12, 2019, 9:13 am

Well, I'm happy to say it looks like I was very wrong about England's chances of winning the World Cup.
I think the big difference is the return of Roy and also just playing one spinner which gives the team a better balance.
Sad to see Smithy going for 21 in his only over, including 3 consecutive sixes. :D
Why did he even bowl? It was as if the Aussie's had already given up.
But can't take anything for granted. India were red hot favourites against NZ and Australia favourites yesterday and look what's happened.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2019, 11:52 am

marjamlew wrote:
June 26, 2019, 5:41 am
We expect to win GT (the difference between us and them). Every 4 years we put a decent team together. Those pommy (and world 11) impostors thrashed us 5 - 0 twelve months ago but now that the real games are being played the cream rises and the chokers spit and swallow as has always been the way.
You just can't expect grade cricketers like Vince, Morgan (makes runs against nobody and in meaningless games) Woakes and Ali to compete with best in world cricket like Smith, Warner, Finch and Stark.
GT the only decent one day cricketer they have is the basher from Christchurch. What a win. What a win. What a win.
Great to see the cream rise to the top whilst the chokers spit and swallow

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 12, 2019, 2:22 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
July 12, 2019, 11:52 am
marjamlew wrote:
June 26, 2019, 5:41 am
We expect to win GT (the difference between us and them). Every 4 years we put a decent team together. Those pommy (and world 11) impostors thrashed us 5 - 0 twelve months ago but now that the real games are being played the cream rises and the chokers spit and swallow as has always been the way.
You just can't expect grade cricketers like Vince, Morgan (makes runs against nobody and in meaningless games) Woakes and Ali to compete with best in world cricket like Smith, Warner, Finch and Stark.
GT the only decent one day cricketer they have is the basher from Christchurch. What a win. What a win. What a win.
Great to see the cream rise to the top whilst the chokers spit and swallow

Another soap dodger out from under his rock when they have a win. Been very quiet up until now ya flog but front runners are like that. Well you muppets invented the game. You started the world cup. There have been 11 of them. You have hosted 4. We have won 5. You have won sweet FA and you are calling us chokers \:D/ \:D/ Anyway there will be a first time winner one way or the other this Sunday. Best of luck to the Kiwi's (on both sides), the Irish, the West Indian, the Paki, the South Africans (on both sides) the poms and the Aussie coach. If the Kiwis don't get up then everyone's a winner =D> Shame the English can't compete on their own merits but I guess they realise they couldn't be competitive against the world best without poaching the worlds best.
Watch Me!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 12, 2019, 2:58 pm

Twas you that used the term cream and chokers :D I Just reminded you :-$ surprised smiffy didnt burst into tears AGAIN having shamed his mummy once more. :cry: congrats to both NZ and England

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 14, 2019, 7:25 am

Big day today for the kiwis. Can they confirm their favouratism and finally hold he cup aloft.
The bad sport South African Jason Roy was lucky not be outed for his disgraceful act of dissent to the umpires and cricket in general when given out. Some commentators have say d he has been watching to much EPL soccer with the players emotional crying habit of verbally rushing up and challenging the refs decision .
All in all will be a good final and we will see later if the curator sets the pitch to favour the home team.
Again the toss may have an outcome on the result.
Once this tournament is concluded we can look forward to an Aussie Ashes 5-0 whitewash with the English men once again asking the question of how do we get Smith out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 14, 2019, 10:10 am

Barney wrote:
July 14, 2019, 7:25 am
Big day today for the kiwis. Can they confirm their favouratism and finally hold he cup aloft.
The bad sport South African Jason Roy was lucky not be outed for his disgraceful act of dissent to the umpires and cricket in general when given out. Some commentators have say d he has been watching to much EPL soccer with the players emotional crying habit of verbally rushing up and challenging the refs decision .
All in all will be a good final and we will see later if the curator sets the pitch to favour the home team.
Again the toss may have an outcome on the result.
Once this tournament is concluded we can look forward to an Aussie Ashes 5-0 whitewash with the English men once again asking the question of how do we get Smith out.
Strange case that of Roy, the petulant South African, as under the rules of cricket in relation to on field behaviour:
2.1 Show serious dissent at an umpire’s decision by action or verbal abuse. Dissent should be classified as serious where dissent is expressed by a specific action such as shaking of the head, snatching a cap from an umpire, pointing at the pad or the inside edge, other displays of anger or abusive language directed at the umpire or excessive delay in resuming play or leaving the wicket. Penalty: Level 2 Offence
Penalty Range: Ban of 3 or 4 matches
Why don't the rules apply to South African's who play for England? Seems it's only us Aussies who discipline our players for breaking the rules. A reflection of the English win and all cost attitude and a belief that they are above the rules. I guess when you never win and you are desperate you will go to any lengths regardless of the rules :-" :-" Will be a tainted title should they get over the Kiwis.
Watch Me!!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 14, 2019, 11:36 am

Those grapes must be really sour .

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

I hope England win today as, in my opinion, they have been the best all round team. They have the best balanced bowling attack, destructive batters and excellent fielders. Expectation and the pressure it brings to bear is the only thing that will beat us.

Incidentally, I love the banter but, we all know this is an English team in the same way that the Australian team with Khawaja in their ranks is an Australuan one: :D

By the way, it's raining at Lords at the moment!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 14, 2019, 6:37 pm

Game very well set at 108 - 2 after 24. Would love to see the world 11 chase 250ish on what is a bit of a green top. Commentators said before the start of play that it may be a good toss to lose. We'll see.
Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 14, 2019, 8:20 pm

Got to love the fighting spirit of these Kiwis. If the Aussies has shown the same application instead of finding excuses for why other sides were better, it might have been a different World Cup. Still fancy ENGLAND though. :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 14, 2019, 8:43 pm

Surely the world 11 will get these in 30 overs. Think I'll watch the tennis and check out the result in the morning.
Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 15, 2019, 2:23 am

Well we were very very lucky on the day but overall ENGLAND are worthy world champions - the first country to win world cups at football, rugby and cricket!

The only thing that would have made me feel better would be if Warner and not Boult had stepped on the boundary to give us 6 and Smith had been the fielder when the ball deflected off Stokes bat for overthrows :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 15, 2019, 5:52 am

Absolutely amazing that a World Cup Final is decided by the number of boundaries scored... you couldn't make it up!
But congrats to England that they even got to that stage, looking dead and buried at 86-4.
Star men on the day, undoubtedly Stokes and Buttler.
Yes, the first country to be world champions at football, cricket and rugby.
Commiserations to the Kiwis who,understandably,must feel pretty p I s s e d off.
Overall a decent tournament. And even though they lost every game Afghanistan weren't disgraced. A surprise that one of the Aussie's and India didn't make the final with both struggling in their semi finals.... but that's the beauty of sport.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » July 15, 2019, 6:54 am

So, Cricket is really coming home even though it took a "penalty soot-out" to make it happen! What a Sportsman and a gent. Kane Williamson is, Something his Northerly neighbour's could certainly take on board.

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » July 15, 2019, 7:17 am

He’s a bit of info for you Marjamlew

Overall there have been eleven English-born cricketers to play Test cricket for Australia.

Below is a list of 25 Australian Test cricketers born overseas.

England (11): Charles Bannerman, John Hodges, Tom Kendall, William Midwinter, Percy McDonnell, William Cooper, Henry Musgrove, Hanson Sammy Carter, Tony Dell, Andrew Symonds and Matt Renshaw.
New Zealand (3): Tom Groube, Clarrie Grimmett and Brendon Julian.
India (2): Bransby Cooper and Rex Sellers.
Ireland (2): Tom Horan, Tom Kelly.
Malaysia (1): Stephen O’Keefe.
Scotland (1): Archie Jackson.
South Africa (1): Kepler Wessels.
Pakistan (1): Usman Khawaja.
Portugal (1): Moises Henriques.
Sri Lanka (1): Dav Whatmore.
Zimbabwe (1): Hilton Cartwright.

Charles Bannerman played the first ball in Test cricket on 15 March 1877, scored the first run (off the second ball) and went on to record the first Test century. His domination in that innings (165 retired hurt, out of Australia’s total of 245; 67.35 per cent) remains a Test record even after 140 years.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 15, 2019, 8:33 am

Well done to the victors. It would be slightly hollow feeling but I’m sure the pints were flowing last night.
Now that tournament is complete we can concentrate on the real World Cup tournament being staged in sunny Liverpool. 16 teams fighting it out till the final on the 21st July.
The world champs have been on fire and looking strong to take another title. Challenges will once again come from NZ and 2nd stringers England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 15, 2019, 10:36 am

What a beautiful game cricket is. Well done to England for being the best team in the comp and worthy world champions. Real commiserations to the vanquished Kiwis who could not have done any more. Couldn't get a better final or more worthy winners. Been fun. See you for the ashes.
Watch Me!!

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » July 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Well said marjamlew... as a neutral ( I’m manx not English )
It was a great game, worthy of a final and a game no team deserved to lose
My heart goes out to the kiwis as they must be devastated, and no words of commiseration will ease their pain
Looking forward to the ashes now, but got to admit test cricket lacks the thrills, twists and turns of ODI and the all out bash and thrash or 20/20
But love watching the sheer passion of both great cricket nations ply their trade in the ashes series

Return to “World Sports”