World Cup

General sports news and discussions.
marjamlew
udonmap.com

Re: World Cup

Post by marjamlew » July 3, 2019, 8:07 pm

277 - 7 the hosts atm. Shaping as a very interesting run chase for the kiwis. Wicket has become low and slow since the hardness has left the balls. Will the kiwis chase down the 300 odd that will be posted? Only if the captain get 150 of them I reckon.

Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 4, 2019, 2:16 am

Maybe England aren't so bad after all :D

Looks to me like an England final against one of the colonies.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 4, 2019, 3:32 pm

Given the makeup of the current "England 11," the colonies will be very well represented no matter who makes the final :D . England will need to get a flat track, win the toss and bat first if they are to get close to whoever it is they play in the semi. But since Bairstow's whinge about the wickets giving the bolwlers a 50 - 50 chance and not being the roads he needs to bat on things have gone very well for the best team in the world. Not in their DNA to win though is it? 8)
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Well what a shocker by NZ. I did say earlier they were back where they should be in the ratings.
Only thing left is to decide 1 and 2. If Australia defeat SA the the Poms will play India. It’s 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd.
Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 6, 2019, 1:02 pm

Huge day today to see who comes on 1st or 2nd. NZ and England are sitting nervously waiting who they will have to play for a spot in the final. Both India and the Aussies are in form and on paper should win their respective games.
England being the pre tournament favourites will be most nervous, they have saved some face at the end if what looked like a early back door exit.
Looking like an India Australia final.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 7, 2019, 1:04 pm

samster wrote:
June 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
2 outstanding balls by Starc to Root and Stokes were the difference yesterday.

I still think that England will qualify, particularly if Roy returns, and, will beat the Aussies in the semis.
Thought I would just repeat my post of a week or so back.......

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

samster wrote:
samster wrote:
June 26, 2019, 3:44 pm
2 outstanding balls by Starc to Root and Stokes were the difference yesterday.

I still think that England will qualify, particularly if Roy returns, and, will beat the Aussies in the semis.
Thought I would just repeat my post of a week or so back.......
You could be correct Samster especially if Starc commenced with 1st ball 5 wides. That would have to be the worst first 2 over start by the Aussies supposed 2 world class bowlers ever in our history. Our batsmen had a shocker but those first 2 overs of more than 20 runs straight up killed us.
My money is naturally on an Aussie win in the final. But would not be surprised to see 2 teams who have never held the cup aloft in the final.
I’ll call the final after the semis. Will polish my little crystal ball tonight while alone in my little Mongolian construction camp room. ImageImageImage
Good luck to all 4 teams.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 7, 2019, 6:10 pm

Aussies ordinary yesterday with bat and ball but got 300 batting second with only two of the guns firing. Can't see us having two bad games in a row and don't think the opposition have to ticker to compete with so much at stake for them. Got to remember we have won 4 world cups since they last appeared in a semi final so business as usual for us and them and I assume we'll play the Indians (who are looking awesome and unstoppable) in the final. Best of luck to our kiwi mates, the poms and the Indians.
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

The English weather might yet have a big hand to play. I heard on the radio that rain is forecast in Manchester for much of this week.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 8, 2019, 3:54 pm

GT93 wrote:
July 8, 2019, 12:21 pm
The English weather might yet have a big hand to play. I heard on the radio that rain is forecast in Manchester for much of this week.
Nothing that should disrupt the cricket. Who cares about a one sided game in Manchester anyway, the big game is in Birmingham :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Samster can you call the winner of the final yet?
I’m trying not to factor India into calcs and calling Australia which won’t fit your thinking. Both the Pom and Aussie teams have good fast bowling attacks and tremendous big hitters. It’s time for maxwell to unleash. Hoping he is the difference. Smith is also due and will hold the innings together. Roy and the bair to go early. The toss will be crucial.
With the weather in all 3 finals both teams must bat 20 overs to be declared a game and there is a spare Day now in all the finals.
If a worst case was to happen and the heavens opened up and no finals get a result even with the extra days then Aussie and India share the trophy.
Good luck.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 8, 2019, 10:06 pm

I personally think India will beat either England or Australia after destroying NZ.

You're right about Maxwell who can win a game on his day but, England have Buttler who is as destructive and has been poor this WC. I think England might sneak it if we get through Starc in the first few overs as our back up bowlers are better. I am biased though!!

Just mentioning those 2 Aussies reminds me that they both learnt all they know playing for Gods County......Yorkshire :D :D

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 9, 2019, 9:06 pm

Looks like the weather may get the kiwis off the hook today and give them another crack tomorrow. Today's winner looks to be the rain although the commentators are saying they can play until 8pm if the rain stops.
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 10, 2019, 6:56 pm

Indians in a spot of bother at 5-77 chasing 240. Can Dhoni do it again. Hope not. Come on the kiwis...
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 10, 2019, 9:06 pm

Gotta love cricket. Well done to the kiwis. What a game. All antipodean final once again \:D/ \:D/
Watch Me!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 11, 2019, 7:58 am

I expect changes to the format in future World Cups to help the Indians make the final. Gotta keep the Indian fans and corporates happy.

There was always around a 20% chance NZ would beat India. Put India under significant pressure during a game and the chance jumps to 40% plus. It's probably a similar situation if NZ is facing Australia or England.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Manxlad
udonmap.com

Post by Manxlad » July 11, 2019, 5:01 pm

Nice and fitting result for Warner

To the tune of Another Brick In The Wall:

He still needs some education
He still needs some self control
No gold sandpaper in his pocket
Warner, leave those balls alone
Hey, Warner, leave those balls alone
All in all he’s just another cheat like them all...

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 11, 2019, 5:13 pm

Manxlad wrote:
July 11, 2019, 5:01 pm
Nice and fitting result for Warner

To the tune of Another Brick In The Wall:

He still needs some education
He still needs some self control
No gold sandpaper in his pocket
Warner, leave those balls alone
Hey, Warner, leave those balls alone
All in all he’s just another cheat like them all...
First post on this thread :D . Didn't take you long to get from under ya rock. 3 - 20 :shock: World 11 wouldn't want to choke from here 8) surely they have it in the bag.
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 11, 2019, 9:57 pm

95 - 0 at drinks. Bairstow and the South African fella are smashing us all over the park. No Shane Warne or Glenn McGrath to throw the ball too today. All over. Well done to the Poms totally outplayed us today and well done to Samster for tipping your country and sticking with then through the tournament. Go the Kiwis (well the ones playing for New Zealand) in the final on Sunday. And bring on the Ashes and another 5 nil retention.
Watch Me!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 11, 2019, 11:47 pm

I had to be right one day!

5-0 might be the right score for the Ashes but, not a retention.

Return to “World Sports”