Boonthavorn

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

Boonthavorn

Post by parrot » June 17, 2019, 2:38 pm

I've been in Boonthavorn a few times, but never really explored it....until today. I needed a few small things and, while there, decided I may as well take the opportunity to put in a few thousand of my 10,000 step goal.
The place is beyond huge. And then there's the second floor! The selection is incredible........but how many times I thought, "I'm glad I'm not building a house in Udon these days." The urge to go full-western would be too great. We built back in the days before Global, Home Pro, DoHome, Home Hub, ThaiWatsadu....really no sizeable home supply stores to speak of. There are pluses and minuses both ways, I suppose.
Beyond Cafe in Boonthavorn is a nice place to relax. Lots of seating and pleasant views. There were 20 or so Thai/Singapore AF people there along with a dozen or so other customers. 11AM......prime hot coffee time for me.......but everyone had a cold drink in their hand.
The highlight.......a stop in the men's room and the ?70,000+? Baht Toto toilet all hooked up with the seat already unnaturally warmed up. All the bells and whistles of a $2000 toilet........I can see more utility with such a device than the $2000 Lazyboys on display upstairs.
If you're looking to kill time trying to get in a few thousand steps, Boonthavorn บุญ = Boon = Merit ถาวร = Thavorn = everlasting/permanent

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Re: Boonthavorn

Post by RLTrader » June 17, 2019, 4:14 pm

Ya, stop by Boon last week, parking lot was full, but found a spot. On the inside noticed everyone was at coffee shop, noses into their smart phones, enjoying the AC, since outside it was 100º in the shade, didn't seem to have ordered anything. That part of store otherwise empty.

Went to the other part, also was empty, looking for what I came for, a auto closing door hinge, figured if anyone would have, they would, but wrong, had less selection than the old Global House, had only one type. Don't ask how a self closing door hinge got broke, found it that way while making morning coffee. Ask wife, but got no answer. Did find one at Lazada, but hard to tell if size is the same. Lazada has lots, but they all seem to be the same size. Guess will need to order one and see if it will fit without to much of a problem.

But did find drains to fix my outside double kitchen sink, can't just buy the drain strainer, but the whole thing. So bought 2. Only other thing I noticed was that they had some nice looking tiles.

Left the way I came pass the coffee shop, spotted a nice butch block table top, ask if could order, told No, had to buy the whole display. Saw another one that would work, but same story.

Shocked myself and a couple of days later installed the drains. Now to install the replacement ceiling fan I bought maybe 6 or 8 months ago, or just procrastinate a little longer. :D

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 17, 2019, 4:42 pm

it is an easy one boonthavorn = bloody expensive unless (even?)items on sale ...
you are able to buy the same items cheaper in other shops ...
we did bought our kitchen there at a good discounted price as some very nice tiles i could not find in other shops , their granite prices (kitchen counter tops ) are way to high ...
nice coffee shop , when you lucky you can enjoy a quiet coffee and cake when the fighter jets of the army are not flying over ...i not frequently visit this shop because overpriced ... ;)

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 17, 2019, 4:56 pm

kopkei wrote:
June 17, 2019, 4:42 pm

you are able to buy the same items cheaper in other shops ...
Hmm, paid 185฿ each for drain, had looked at other places and think they were higher.
kopkei wrote:
June 17, 2019, 4:42 pm

their granite prices (kitchen counter tops ) are way to high ...
About a year ago was looking at there granite, but never acted on it. But back then seem to be priced about the same as shops I bought other granite. They do have a big difference between choices. I was looking at lower priced pieces.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 17, 2019, 5:03 pm

RL Trader "Went to the other part, also was empty, looking for what I came for, a auto closing door hinge"

Several months ago the bracket that'd been holding up a large wall cabinet started coming loose. I did the same things as you....all the ?likely? places didn't have it. Then I remember one of the first Udon kitchen cabinet custom shops......and went there. The owner's name is Apple. She speaks good English. She had exactly what I needed.....for 80 Baht. I was willing to pay a few hundred....rather than risk a cabinet come crashing down.
As you're going around the fountain circle, take the exit immediately after the clock circle exit. Apple's shop is immediately next to the Aroma Coffee shop, probably 100m past the fountain circle. Bring the bad hinge to show her.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 17, 2019, 5:09 pm

Thanks will give it a try later this week.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 17, 2019, 5:37 pm

as said bought the kitchen there but not the granite , boonthavorns quote was 52.000 baht bought the same quality for 18.000 baht at the granite shop... but it is as i always say ...as long as you are happy ,but more important stay happy ... ;)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

I bought our rain showers in Boonthavorn. They were as comparatively priced as everywhere else I looked at.
I find the little "hardware" section at the back has reasonably priced stuff. Its just the big items out front on display that seem really expensive.
Last edited by Niggly on November 12, 2019, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 18, 2019, 3:22 pm

parrot wrote:
June 17, 2019, 5:03 pm
RL Trader "Went to the other part, also was empty, looking for what I came for, a auto closing door hinge"

Several months ago the bracket that'd been holding up a large wall cabinet started coming loose. I did the same things as you....all the ?likely? places didn't have it. Then I remember one of the first Udon kitchen cabinet custom shops......and went there. The owner's name is Apple. She speaks good English. She had exactly what I needed.....for 80 Baht. I was willing to pay a few hundred....rather than risk a cabinet come crashing down.
As you're going around the fountain circle, take the exit immediately after the clock circle exit. Apple's shop is immediately next to the Aroma Coffee shop, probably 100m past the fountain circle. Bring the bad hinge to show her.
Well went today and she checked in back room and was able to match size (maybe), but not auto close. Problem I have is can't figure out how to open to attach together. Bet its simple but beyond me. Guess will need to go back for help. Total cost 0฿ so can't complain. Might also try wood shop near Bangkok Bank main office, Friday.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 19, 2019, 1:19 pm

Been shopping a Boonthavorn a lot for my Build

Floor Tiles: I found their selection of floor tiles (for texture, sizes and colors) to be the best in Udon. For me they had some nice large floor tiles 100cm x 60cm and 90cm x 60cm. Where I could find like for like, I compared their prices to Homepro and there wasn't too much difference in price between the two Stores.

Same with Wall tiles, where I bought some Marble Effect wall tiles, (90x 60cm). Bought them on special at Boonthavorn and their price per m2 was TB 100 less than the price at Homepro at that time. So you can find the odd good special.

Light Fittings: The Light Fitting place at the far end, is also very good, which a very large selection and the Staff speak good English. It was hard to compare like for like light fitting prices with other stores, because they all carry different styles/ranges of fitting, but those light fitting that I bought from Boonthavorn, seemed reasonably priced for me.

Granites: I looked at the Boonthavorn granite selections, for my kitchen benchtops, and yes they have a lot of options, but I was put off by their Sales people just telling me that the longest benchtop piece that they could give me was 200cm. It was their standard response and I wanted longer benchtop pieces. So I went to the shop on the road to Nong Khai and got the granite color I wanted cut to the size that I wanted. I would skip buying granite from Boonthavorn and shop elsewhere.

pipoz444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
June 19, 2019, 1:19 pm

Granites: I looked at the Boonthavorn granite selections, for my kitchen benchtops, and yes they have a lot of options, but I was put off by their Sales people just telling me that the longest benchtop piece that they could give me was 200cm. It was their standard response and I wanted longer benchtop pieces. So I went to the shop on the road to Nong Khai and got the granite color I wanted cut to the size that I wanted. I would skip buying granite from Boonthavorn and shop elsewhere.

pipoz444
You are right on the length of 200cm, but way back when I was building had a very hard time finding anything longer and when I did, was left with "that's the only color for that length we have". Times have changed? Maybe?

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”