Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
User avatar
semperfiguy
udonmap.com
Posts: 1854
Joined: July 16, 2010, 12:49 pm
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand

Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by semperfiguy » June 12, 2019, 3:05 pm

Yesterday I was shopping for one of those cheap extension cords with a 10 meter long cord, and I couldn't find one in Big-C or Amarn Electric downstairs. In the past one could find them by the truckload in either of those places. I was told to go to Big Lots Hardware on Nittayo Road down from Big-C, so today I went by and their selection was extremely limited to only the better brands which were pretty expensive. My guess is the government finally cracked down on those cheaper brands since they are so flimsy and dangerous. I can only imagine how many house fires and market fires and electrocutions it had to take before the government finally took some action. That's what scares the crap out of me when I shop at the night markets around Thailand. All the extension wires laying across the walkways are nothing but a death trap, and nobody seems to pay them any attention even when it's raining or they're laying in a puddle of water. Be careful out there guys!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". - George Orwell

User avatar
Giggle
udonmap.com
Posts: 870
Joined: October 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by Giggle » June 12, 2019, 5:31 pm

All part of the charm of living in a third-world paradise.

User avatar
kopkei
udonmap.com
Posts: 1308
Joined: August 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by kopkei » June 12, 2019, 5:37 pm

why not by good cable and plugs to assemble your own extension cord? i always do this ,
never had problems with them ... ;)

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3045
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 12, 2019, 5:42 pm

kopkei wrote:
June 12, 2019, 5:37 pm
why not by good cable and plugs to assemble your own extension cord? i always do this ,
never had problems with them ... ;)
Yes .. i bought a roll of good quality rubber coated cable and some strong out door sockets and made my own to use in garden.

I was led to believe all out door sockets and those in bathrooms kitchens etc should be ran thru an RCBO breaker in the fuse box which offer greater protection in use and against the chance of water ingress.

DM

the-monk
udonmap.com
Posts: 567
Joined: August 20, 2012, 4:56 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by the-monk » June 12, 2019, 5:47 pm

I agree with you, make your own with quality components. The other day i was going to make an extension cord, i went to Global House and Thai Watsadu to find 3-prong plugs like the one shown, but i got the BO ME... Where to get them ? Thanks Have a pleasant SAFE evening.
[attachment=0]plug.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
plug.jpeg
plug.jpeg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 506 times

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1342
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by RLTrader » June 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

It seems that all the big places like Global House sell some quality cords in different lengths, but all are really 2 wire, even though they will accept 3 wire plugs. I have made some, but just not the same.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1258
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 12, 2019, 7:38 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 12, 2019, 5:42 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 12, 2019, 5:37 pm
why not by good cable and plugs to assemble your own extension cord? i always do this ,
never had problems with them ... ;)
Yes .. i bought a roll of good quality rubber coated cable and some strong out door sockets and made my own to use in garden.

I was led to believe all out door sockets and those in bathrooms kitchens etc should be ran thru an RCBO breaker in the fuse box which offer greater protection in use and against the chance of water ingress.

DM
The current regulations from the PEA require the whole house to be protected by an RCBO. AFIK there has never been a requirement just for the areas you list in Thailand. That is a requirement for the USA.

However anyone who wants to be safer should retrofit their house with an RCBO as older installations often don't have one.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1438
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by glalt » June 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

The small village shop near where I live has several different sizes of three wire cable and the grounded three prong plugs. I make mine to what ever length I want. Those cheap ones you buy with a three prong plug and receptacle that use two wire cable should be illegal.

bluejets
udonmap.com
Posts: 791
Joined: March 17, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by bluejets » June 13, 2019, 4:20 am

glalt wrote:
June 12, 2019, 9:05 pm
The small village shop near where I live has several different sizes of three wire cable and the grounded three prong plugs. I make mine to what ever length I want. Those cheap ones you buy with a three prong plug and receptacle that use two wire cable should be illegal.
Many items one buys these days are double insulated and no earth required.
In fact should never be earth referenced.
Hence no requirement for any earth pin.
As a quick example , plug pack for the phone charger.
Obviously the 2 core extensions should be banned. Single insulation and no earth.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1258
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 13, 2019, 7:12 am

bluejets wrote:
June 13, 2019, 4:20 am
glalt wrote:
June 12, 2019, 9:05 pm
The small village shop near where I live has several different sizes of three wire cable and the grounded three prong plugs. I make mine to what ever length I want. Those cheap ones you buy with a three prong plug and receptacle that use two wire cable should be illegal.
Many items one buys these days are double insulated and no earth required.
In fact should never be earth referenced.
Hence no requirement for any earth pin.
As a quick example , plug pack for the phone charger.
Obviously the 2 core extensions should be banned. Single insulation and no earth.
Nothing wrong with an extension with 2 core cable, as long as there is a 2 pin plug and 2 pin socket.

I completely agree that a 2 core cable with a 3 pin plug and sockets should be banned.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com
Posts: 1438
Joined: January 14, 2007, 10:35 am
Location: Nong Hin, Loei

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by glalt » June 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Two of my extension cords are for a rice mill, drill press, bench grinder, power washer and an air compressor. I feel a lot better having that third ground wire.

My desktop Dell computer was shocking me. I put in a grounding stake and the computer case is wired directly to it. No more shocks.

bluejets
udonmap.com
Posts: 791
Joined: March 17, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Australia

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by bluejets » June 13, 2019, 3:43 pm

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with an extension with 2 core cable, as long as there is a 2 pin plug and 2 pin socket.


[/quote]

Well, actually there is.
As I pointed out ,only single insulation.

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 1258
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 13, 2019, 5:11 pm

bluejets wrote:
June 13, 2019, 3:43 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 13, 2019, 7:12 am
Nothing wrong with an extension with 2 core cable, as long as there is a 2 pin plug and 2 pin socket.

bluejets wrote:
June 13, 2019, 3:43 pm
Well, actually there is.
As I pointed out ,only single insulation.
There are very few, if any, premade extension cables that are not double insulated even the cheapest.

It is now quite difficult to find multi strand cable that is single insulated.

It is far more important to buy cables that have copper cores rather that copper coated steel or copper coated aluminium

So I stand by my statement that 2 pin and socket extensions on 2 core cable are perfectly safe and acceptable.

Certainly buying the cheapest extension you can is a poor idea as there are few regulations ensuring quality products
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

fdimike
udonmap.com
Posts: 1589
Joined: July 7, 2005, 10:11 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by fdimike » June 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

High quality plugs like those pictured in Monk's post are available at Tool Pro Plus on the Ring Rd and Seritom electrical supply downtown on Makang Rd just north of Prajak Rd.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

User avatar
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com
Posts: 212
Joined: October 28, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: Extension Cords Hard to Find Now

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 13, 2019, 11:25 pm

While we have the-monk's Plug picture to hand, I've often wondered why the flat pin Plugs have holes drilled in the pins, I've used the holes myself to piggy back another cable onto the plug when I've run short of plugs or been too lazy to fit one. There must be another sensible, safer reason for having them?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Post Reply

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests