Sad News: German electrocute ...

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Post Reply
RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1491
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by RLTrader » June 11, 2019, 9:04 am

Sad News
Wife just informed that her friends husband (German) was electrocute yesterday, while working on his water pump.

I'm not sure if I had met him being the recluse that I am, but his wife use to drop off bread when he baked.

I don't have name or any other info, but if I do will post.



User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9087
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by parrot » June 11, 2019, 12:46 pm


User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9087
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by parrot » June 11, 2019, 1:19 pm

Sorry about the name.........as reported in one Thai newspaper. I believe the correct name is:
Verker Klaus Roscoff, 78 years old, at the house number 5/40 Moo 1, Chiang Phin Subdistrict,
https://www.77jowo.com/contents/125300

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 266
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by choi choi » June 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

Sad news. Have to be so careful here! Last year I nearly had same ! Cutting grass with electric mower.
The male/ female lead connecter came disconected.Although was not been raining, there was dew on the grass.
I picked up the connector and joined it back .Zzzzzz! Took me down! The whole right of my body locked,could not move a muscle!
With my left hand I whipped out the connector! Horrible experience!
That was just a damp plug FFS!

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1491
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by RLTrader » June 12, 2019, 8:03 am

choi choi wrote:
June 11, 2019, 6:37 pm
Sad news. Have to be so careful here! Last year I nearly had same ! Cutting grass with electric mower.
The male/ female lead connecter came disconected.Although was not been raining, there was dew on the grass.
I picked up the connector and joined it back .Zzzzzz! Took me down! The whole right of my body locked,could not move a muscle!
With my left hand I whipped out the connector! Horrible experience!
That was just a damp plug FFS!
I have Safe-T-Cut and it seems to work, but I personally never tested it. But it seems to have saved a couple of people, one my electrician.

He needed to do something in the attic, ask him if should shut power, he said "no problem". A little later power cut off. Came down with smile, OOPS.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com
Posts: 972
Joined: August 13, 2009, 8:35 am
Location: Canada, Hua Hin

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by jai yen yen » June 12, 2019, 8:06 am

Safety and electricity in Thailand. I remember awhile back 2 young male tourists sitting outside a bar in Phuket, rain started coming down and they were electrocuted from a plug in on the floor.

choi choi
udonmap.com
Posts: 266
Joined: March 5, 2018, 10:35 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by choi choi » June 12, 2019, 2:47 pm

I had some electric work to do in the house.I shut off the electric, Went up the steps to put new cable in. but forgot tool. Went though to the kitchen, fooking light still on!
Someone previously wired up a cable bypassing the Junction box! FFS!

yartims
udonmap.com
Posts: 822
Joined: July 23, 2018, 11:14 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by yartims » June 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

the correct circuit breaker is essential for such items ..been happening for many years [-X
the only good Tory is a lavatory

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1491
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by RLTrader » June 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

choi choi wrote:
June 12, 2019, 2:47 pm
I had some electric work to do in the house.I shut off the electric, Went up the steps to put new cable in. but forgot tool. Went though to the kitchen, fooking light still on!
Someone previously wired up a cable bypassing the Junction box! FFS!
Just goes to show you, always check even if you think you cut the breaker. I have a drawing showing what breakers are for where, which I always check. Problem I noticed was that electrician didn't quite follow the layout, back outdoor lights are not on outdoor breaker, but on inside kitchen breaker. Not a problem.

User avatar
maaka
udonmap.com
Posts: 2830
Joined: October 9, 2007, 6:03 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by maaka » June 13, 2019, 6:37 am

had a workshop / bungalow built just away from the house, with power coming thru the house system, have a cutout switch..all was off, looked out the window at night at a mysterious light, to see all the workshop lights are on, even with the cut out off, and light switches off..
then next day I noticed the wire running across from the house to the workshop was touching the house tin roof..with abit of wind and wear and tear, the whole roof would have become live, and there is a part of roof that is shoulder high, so anyone touching it, poof...
I remember when I was a kid, I had this slot car..a little motorized toy thing..I was sticking two wires in to the wall plug trying to make the little engine go, and bang, thru me across the room, and blew all the house fuses, dear mother, ' what the bloody hell was that. what were you doing. ' Nothing '...bloody secret killer is electric

User avatar
kopkei
udonmap.com
Posts: 1390
Joined: August 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by kopkei » June 13, 2019, 8:11 am

first rule in fixing electric , if you do not have any knowledge in fixing electric leave it to those who have...
second rule , always shut of power on the line you need to fix or when no knowledge what line ,shut main breaker
rule 3 , always use the appropriate insulated tools to work with including this
IMG_20190613_080217[1] (Copy).jpg
it will not kill you to buy it (20baht) but maybe kill you not using it ....
even all should be closed check the wires you need to work with for live wire ..
what makes rule 4, always double check everything , before ,during and after work ...good luck to all....

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2946
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by Barney » June 13, 2019, 8:40 am

kopkei wrote:first rule in fixing electric , if you do not have any knowledge in fixing electric leave it to those who have...
second rule , always shut of power on the line you need to fix or when no knowledge what line ,shut main breaker
rule 3 , always use the appropriate insulated tools to work with including this
IMG_20190613_080217[1] (Copy).jpg
it will not kill you to buy it (20baht) but maybe kill you not using it ....
even all should be closed check the wires you need to work with for live wire ..
what makes rule 4, always double check everything , before ,during and after work ...good luck to all....
That’s the worst advice any one could give. Unbelievable.
If you are not an electrician don’t touch it at all is the correct advice.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
kopkei
udonmap.com
Posts: 1390
Joined: August 27, 2010, 6:55 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by kopkei » June 13, 2019, 9:19 am

comprehensive reading , barney try to read the first rule again...
people can have knowledge about many things without having the degree for it .... ;)

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 11328
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by stattointhailand » June 13, 2019, 9:27 am

Unfortunately here in LOS getting an expert in, usually involves wifey ringing Khun Sparks in the next village, who is the local "expert" but has less knowledge than your average part time DIY guy back home [-X

RLTrader
udonmap.com
Posts: 1491
Joined: June 3, 2007, 8:49 am

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by RLTrader » June 13, 2019, 10:11 am

parrot wrote:
June 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
Sorry about the name.........as reported in one Thai newspaper. I believe the correct name is:
Verker Klaus Roscoff, 78 years old, at the house number 5/40 Moo 1, Chiang Phin Subdistrict,
https://www.77jowo.com/contents/125300
Verker Klaus Roscoff is now at the Watt next to VT Restaurant on (I think) posi road (sp) and will be taken on 15th @ 2PM

pipoz4444
udonmap.com
Posts: 612
Joined: April 8, 2011, 1:33 am
Location: All Over the Place

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by pipoz4444 » June 13, 2019, 10:43 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 13, 2019, 9:27 am
Unfortunately here in LOS getting an expert in, usually involves wifey ringing Khun Sparks in the next village, who is the local "expert" but has less knowledge than your average part time DIY guy back home [-X
Possibly, but i think you can always find a good/knowledgeable Electrician in the Udon Thani area

Start with word of mouth from someone you know that has used one. Then when the sparky gets to your place just ask him a few basic questions (you don’t have to be a Sparky to ask the right questions) and then watch what he does, for the first 5 -10 minutes. That will give you a pretty good idea as to how knowledgeable he really is.

pipoz4444

User avatar
Barney
udonmap.com
Posts: 2946
Joined: November 1, 2012, 5:51 am
Location: Outback of Nong Samrong Udon Thani

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by Barney » June 13, 2019, 11:59 am

kopkei wrote:comprehensive reading , barney try to read the first rule again...
people can have knowledge about many things without having the degree for it .... ;)
Exactly
So why encourage others with further rules.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPa41000
udonmap.com
Posts: 17
Joined: June 4, 2019, 1:13 pm

Re: Sad News: German electrocute ...

Post by iPa41000 » June 13, 2019, 9:35 pm

Better to have a differential circuit breaker ( 30mA ).
There was none in my house, I installed it.
Just need to replace the main standard breaker by the same model with the differential feature.

Post Reply

Return to “Udon Thani News”