Blood Pressure Monitors

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Blood Pressure Monitors

Post by Chriss » January 18, 2011, 11:39 am

Has anyone used or does anyone still use a blood pressure monitor, the sort that wraps around the wrist? I have just be sent one but there are no instructions, all I need to know is does the monitor go on the outside or inside of the wrist. I have tried both and there are definite differences. The outside gives a higher reading than the inside.....

The monitor I have been sent is from Boots so I have emailled them, also looked on the Boots Thailand site and it doesn't look like they sell them.

Any ideas

21again
udonmap.com

Re: Blood Pressure Monitors

Post by 21again » January 18, 2011, 11:42 am

Has it got a model number on it??

davecryan
udonmap.com

Post by davecryan » January 18, 2011, 12:15 pm

It goes on the inside of the wrist,as high as possible without encroaching on the hand. Fasten it with the Velcro as tight as you can.

maikauzai
udonmap.com

Post by maikauzai » January 18, 2011, 12:37 pm

The monitor is placed on the palm side of your wrist, because the sensor is below the monitor. Lot of people complain the accuracy of a wrist BP monitor. IMHO it's quite accurate as long as you keep consistent position when using it, ie. sit upright with the monitor at heart level.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 18, 2011, 12:48 pm

hi chriss,
i have one but it is not really wrist type, i think same system only apply more high at your arm ,anyway maybe this also helps you out...

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 18, 2011, 1:02 pm

maybe also use full....,sorry not so clear but i think can do ....

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 18, 2011, 1:19 pm

Next question. Which arm?
Reason I ask, my Father was in hospital last week. They discovered he had normal BP in one arm and high in the other.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 18, 2011, 1:20 pm

21again wrote:Has it got a model number on it??
I agree with 21 this is the place to start. The Boots site shows quite a few different models. I would find the exact one that matches the one you have & then make note of exactly what it is called & then advanced Google search for 'instruction manual for Boots Intellisense Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor' - for example.
There will be a frustrating large number of sites come up that are trying to sell you the product rather than giving details on how to use it, but you will find some help with a little patience - like this site I found on the second page of results on the above query.

http://bloodpressurequestions.org/blood ... ing-sensor

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » January 18, 2011, 1:24 pm

Thanks all, I was hoping it was inside of the wrist, the outside figures would have sent me straight to the doctor... I have hypertension which is medicated (thats why the monitor was sent to me) and I agree I'm not sure these monitors are 100% accurate but a very good indicator that all is or isn't well..
Thanks again.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » January 18, 2011, 1:27 pm

I see Bobs link shows the monitor placed on the top (thumb side) edge of the wrist, maybe its just this particular model...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 18, 2011, 1:30 pm

Chriss wrote:I see Bobs link shows the monitor placed on the top (thumb side) edge of the wrist, maybe its just this particular model...
Yes Chriss that is why it is important that you find the instruction for your exact model....

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » January 18, 2011, 3:49 pm

Hi,
According to the one i use. You put it on the left wrist while sitting upright in a chair and your arm, from elbow to hand parallel (excuse spelling) to to floor. On a table.
I find mine verry good and accurate. When i first got it 7 years ago, took it down to my doctor. Got him to do my B.P. with his, and then checked with mine, both the same.
Do not use when just done work, running, or after sex. Doctors words. I do mine every day at the same time. It keeps a record of the last 30 reading, if you want, and displays them in the form of a graph.
The most awkward thing i found on mine was setting the date and time. Had to get wife's 8 year old daughter to do it.
The instructions are on the inside of the lid that covers the display.
It also has what the readings mean.
Normal Systolic Less than 130. Diastolic Less than85.
High Normal " 130 to 139 " 85 to 89
Hypertension " More than140 " More than 90.
Forgot to say it also gives pulse rate.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » January 18, 2011, 4:28 pm

I have got a Boot's one, had it 10years. It always gives a lower reading than the one they use in AEK though . I put that down to all those nubile nurses in their little white socks. :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » January 18, 2011, 8:35 pm

trubrit wrote:. I put that down to all those nubile nurses in their little white socks. :lol:
:shock: Whatever rocks your boat TB. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

BP and Urban myths

Post by wazza » January 19, 2011, 10:48 am

Ok, there are quite a few urban myths floating around about BP and where to take it, whats the best monitor , and are prices an indicator of a better unit etc.

Blood Pressure is the measurement of pressure - Cardiac Output ( blood from your left side of your heart) against the peripheral resitance of the blood vessels - so if your cholesterol is high, the veins are smaller in diameter therefore the heart must work harder to pump the blood through, thus ur BP is higher. BP is a measurement of the pressure to overtake the Aortic valve at the L Ventricle to eject blood into an already full aorta ( known as systolic pressure ) and the resting pressure left after a ventricular contraction is called diastolic pressure. The measurement is in milli metres of mercury, and should be read at sea level for 100% accuracy .

Most hospitals / clinics will take ur BP over your brachial artery at the cubital fossa region ( elbow ) why, well the artery is easier to palpate and u also need to take the BP in the same place for consistency etc its easier etc

Now the " wrist " readings will be different as the blood flow to the radial artery in the wrist has longer to go, thus the pressure will drop off slightly , can be by 10 mm HG !

In medicine , we take a radial pulse and we know its over 80 mm Hg, if its gone, its below 80 mm Hg, so u then test the brachial artery , and if the pulse cant be found then, the systolic BP is less than 70 mmHg. We dont take BP is a major trauma patient immediately, we use this rule of thumb !

The 2nd issue for the wrist monitors is the radial artery is protected by the radius bone, and can be a little harder for then sensor to pick up.

So when u go to your local clinic / hospital for your BP the amazing thing to ask the staff is " When did u last calibrate your BP Cuff " they wil look at you in suprise, shock and Horror ! . If its a hospital based electronic unit, it will or should have a bio medical sticker to say its been done within the last 6 months.

I did a medical research project years ago on mannual BP cuffs in the ambulance service. Both fitted units in the vehicle and the hand held portable units that the Paramedics use on the road in all sorts of environments and they get dropped, smashed etc regularly.

There was from memory a difference of up to 30 mmHg which means that many drugs that have BP limitations were still being used ! due to the error margins etc

Every mannual BP cuff still needs to be calibrated against a mercury unit, to ensure its accurate and I bet ur local Dr doesnt do it or even know how to do it.

Thats why ur local clinic / hospitals will have different readings . Its not the NUrse ! its the BP cuff they carry !

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 11, 2019, 3:49 pm

There's been some discussion (on another thread that I couldn't find) about one blood pressure reading at home and another in the hospital.
If you want to calibrate your blood pressure with the hospital's, it'd be easy enough to take yours along on your next visit. If there's a wide difference in readings, then one of the two is off. If your reading at home is low but at the hospital on the same home device it's high, then maybe white coat hypertension is at play
This article may be of interest:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/10/heal ... index.html

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

parrot wrote:
June 11, 2019, 3:49 pm
There's been some discussion (on another thread that I couldn't find) about one blood pressure reading at home and another in the hospital.
If you want to calibrate your blood pressure with the hospital's, it'd be easy enough to take yours along on your next visit. If there's a wide difference in readings, then one of the two is off. If your reading at home is low but at the hospital on the same home device it's high, then maybe white coat hypertension is at play
This article may be of interest:
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/10/heal ... index.html
One small cause, IMHO, of White Coat higher blood pressure is when they take the blood pressure. It is normal to have an increase after walking into exam room and having check as soon as seated. My doctor will recheck if shown high, maybe 10 mins later, and pressure is lower by then. I also agree to take your home monitor to Dr office for comparison, I did that and mine registered 3 or 4 points difference which I consider to be close enough for home monitoring.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 11, 2019, 5:44 pm

I’ve got 2 BP monitors. Left one at home when on job assignment and purchased a 2nd unit. Any way have often compared the 2 at the almost the same time. Whether high or normal they are fairly much the same. Previously I was asked by the doctor to take random checks at no particular time and note down what I was doing just before the check, noting resting, walking, gardening, riding the bike or driving ect ect.This aligns with the memory function within the units and I was able to share with the doctor. You may be surprised how riding a scooter or big bike to the doctors can elevate BP when taken as soon as you walk in. I actually don’t trust the manual pump up BP units some doctors use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

a chap i know with hereditary heart disease has a fitbit on his wrist and connected to his iphone app which rings for a doctor and ambulance if he has a heart attack .cant recall the name of his complaint as its a long name
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Return to “Health & Beauty”