Price of Soup

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Price of Soup

Post by parrot » May 10, 2011, 1:54 pm

The surest sign of rising prices is a notice that the price of your bowl of noodle soup is going up! We've eaten at the same Vietnamese noodle shop since 1997......originally 25 Baht back then for a 'special' bowl, the price is going up from 35 Baht to 40 effective 15 May.
Likewise, our favorite lahb shop (Uncle Mustache's Lahb) finally raised their prices....his first increase in over 8 years.
I found it interesting that the noodle shop owner would be nice enough to advise her customers of the pending price increase.

The sign says: (more or less)
NOTICE

To our customers: due to the price increase of raw materials that are used in our food, the price for our products will rise from 30 Baht to 35 Baht and from 35 Baht to 40 Baht, effective 15 May 2554
Thank You
Attachments
DSC00183.JPG

trubrit
udonmap.com

Price of Soup

Post by trubrit » May 10, 2011, 2:01 pm

Yes its the same story every where. In the food hall in Centra yesterday, Cowman gai, chicken on rice up from 30 to 40bht. A large Leo up from 60 to 65bht . Not significant in our book but for a Thai family of four it must hurt .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Price of Soup

Post by parrot » May 12, 2011, 2:51 pm

I had another bowl of soup today....same spot.......no more signs on the wall. I inquired. The owner told me she thought it too chancy to raise prices just as the school term begins as most folks are struggling with the cost of school supplies/tuition. So, for the time being, she's put the price increase on the back burner.
Goes to show you what a difference 5 baht can make in a business decision.
I'm glad I'm buying the soup, not selling it.

lee
udonmap.com

Price of Soup

Post by lee » May 12, 2011, 3:05 pm

Speaking of price rises, the parking lot near us have increased their monthly rates by 20%. Also noticed Black Canyon Coffee at Tesco have a new menu and have increased everything by 20-20%.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Price of Soup

Post by parrot » June 6, 2019, 2:06 pm

I found this thread from a couple of price rises ago. In 2011 my 'jumbo' bowl of noodle soup went up to 40 baht and somewhere between then and now (at least 3 years ago), the same bowl went up to 50.

Today I stopped to get a bowl of khao biek (ข้าวเปียก) across from the satellite post office. New sign......60 Baht for the special......used to be 50 Baht. I'll play maw dew หมอดู for the day and predict the early stages of the next set of price rises is upon us. Head for the hills!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2019, 7:45 am

well indeed prices have gone up a lot if you want to eat out ,surely in Udon where the prices of food and drinks are becoming ridiculous high compared to other city's in Los , i just got a video from a friend in Nonthaburi of a new evening market where you hardly see any falang and you still can eat standard Thai dishes starting at 5-?? baht ,and even drink a chang for 65 -70 baht..., Udon is becoming one of the most expensive city in Los, one of the reasons we mostly eat and drink at home ....so to us not much has changed in the last 10 years only we not go out to eat or drink so much due to the exaggerated prices here , but enjoy good food at home ... ;)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2019, 8:37 am

I blame you kopkei [-X

TIT, If you and others dont eat/drink out, the establishment puts its prices up to cover for the loss of custom. Standard Thai business practice.

Similar scenario is the cost of a haircut. When I first came there was a barber opposite TWD nightclub where it cost B25. Since then the amount of hair on my head has diminished, but the cost of cutting it has risen to B30 then B40 then B60 then B80 and yesterday B100 :evil:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 7, 2019, 9:57 am

All might just have something to do with these street vendors now have to pay taxes . Also if they are renting a unit somewhere , then guaranteed rents would of doubled in the last 10 years as have property and land prices .Its a common misconception that only Farangs get ripped off by landlords .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 7, 2019, 10:28 am

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2019, 8:37 am
I blame you kopkei... :lol: good joke \:D/
and indeed it will have to do with (too)high rent prices , also surely an Udon problem ...everything here seems to have become gold ...if you know what i mean .... :-k

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 7, 2019, 5:05 pm

The Royal Project Store used to have Fresh Premium Seasonal Salad for 45-46 B for quite a few years. What a shocker today to discover the new price is 65 B, an increase of 19 B , or 41 %... Wow.

[attachment=0]SALAD-S-.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
SALAD-S-.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 7, 2019, 6:15 pm

I have found that the cost of pocket money each morning has gone up. Now she is in high school now it seems an automatic rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 7, 2019, 6:15 pm

Barney wrote:I have found that the cost of pocket money each morning has gone up. Now she is in high school it seems an automatic rise.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 7, 2019, 6:45 pm

This post is about soup price? Why buy? I make my own.
No additives, Tomato, mushroom, corn. All good vitamin!
Easy to do.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 7, 2019, 6:56 pm

"Why buy?"
Oh, that's an easy one. I can answer that. "Tomato, mushroom, corn"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2019, 6:56 pm

choi choi wrote:
June 7, 2019, 6:45 pm
This post is about soup price? Why buy? I make my own.
No additives, Tomato, mushroom, corn. All good vitamin!
Easy to do.
Probably coz the Vietnamese noodle shop owner would get pretty narked if parrot buggered of home and came back with home made noodle soup :confused:

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 7, 2019, 8:20 pm

its hard to get the broth just right .some have the right technique most dont ..theres some old bones floating around in the tub but what animals are they i cant say
the only good Tory is a lavatory

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 8, 2019, 8:18 am

yartims wrote:
June 7, 2019, 8:20 pm
its hard to get the broth just right .some have the right technique most dont ..theres some old bones floating around in the tub but what animals are they i cant say
All you have to do is ask. If I go to a noodle shop and enjoy the soup, I will usually ask the owner what makes their soup so delicious. Soup bones, a bit of blood, a bundle of herbs, and secret ingredients. 45 years ago NKPs popular morning soup joint allegedly infused the soup with some marijuana. Not enough to give you a buzz, but it added a flavor that no one else in the town could copy.

Return to “Udon Thani News”