The FLASHING of Headlights

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

The FLASHING of Headlights

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 4:56 pm

I certain countries the flashing of headlights on vehicles indicates to the other driver it is ok to proceed
Whereas in some countries it indicates look out I am coming though

Is there any backgroend why the 2 trains of thought?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: The FLASHING of Headlights

Post by AlexO » June 4, 2019, 5:35 pm

Its not part of the driving test in any nation I know but has just evolved I think. When have you ever experienced a courteous Thai driver allowing anybody to proceed. The whole Thai driving experience is Me First, Look out I am not letting anybody get in my way.

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » June 4, 2019, 7:12 pm

In Aus it means beware coppers ahead or a speed camera.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

macca46 wrote:
June 4, 2019, 7:12 pm
So Aussies use it to stop people breaking the law for a few moments ......... why am I NOT surprised :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 7:45 pm

Using your lights to warn of Police is some countries is also an offence

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » June 4, 2019, 7:48 pm

I would translate it like: Hi there! Please notice… and rest is up to situation.

Flashing lights and reducing speed means usually giving a way, speeding means that here I come. There can be an accident, police or road closed.

So it can mean anything, but always it needs some action from driver who can see those lights. It is not always clear what the other driver means, but situation should tell something.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2019, 8:30 pm

I've tended to find that here in LOS it usually means "I'm impotent and you doing 140kph is not fast enough .... get out of the slow/middle/overtaking lane and let me through"

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » June 4, 2019, 8:38 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:30 pm
I've tended to find that here in LOS it usually means "I'm impotent and you doing 140kph is not fast enough .... get out of the slow/middle/overtaking lane and let me through"
Any ideas on the switching on of hazard lights whilst going through an intersection situation?
Voiceover for hire.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 4, 2019, 8:45 pm

In Thailand I have invariably found that the flashing of lights means I am coming through, or if it comes from a vehicle behind you, - that I am wanting to pass you asap.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2019, 9:07 pm

Raoul Duke wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:38 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:30 pm
Any ideas on the switching on of hazard lights whilst going through an intersection situation?
That ones easy ..... The lights have failed again (probably a few spots of rain) and we are entering a "Russian Roulette" game with those from the other 3 sides \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2019, 9:19 pm

My fav is still the "indicate left when approaching a "Junction" with a duel carriageway" and the indicate right about 50 metres AFTER slamming your brakes on in the overtaking lane and pulling into the right turn slip road..... where the f*** else do you think you are going to go :roll: Letting the other traffic know your intentions BEFORE you pulled into the slip road might have been a help [-X

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 5, 2019, 5:43 am

From my experience it usually indicates the a#*ehole is going to take your half the road = make your own arrangements! Although of late they are warning on coming vehicles of police road block ahead for license checks etc.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 5, 2019, 6:05 am

Raoul Duke

"Any ideas on the switching on of hazard lights whilst going through an intersection situation?"
This means I don't want to stop so lookout I am coming through and hopefully Buddha will look after me
and the person who I will hit

If someone or something is hit when I continue throught the intersection the "Oh my brakes failed " excuse is always available

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 5, 2019, 6:40 am

Doodoo wrote:
June 4, 2019, 7:45 pm
Using your lights to warn of Police is some countries is also an offence
It is .....boys in blue tend to frown on it rather intently.....but these days the radar is either hidden inside an air conditioned van parked on the side of the road or inside an unmarked car.

But the Wallies still speed...go figure. It appears to be the "cost of doing business".

As for what it means in Thailand, probably along similar lines as the horn blowing.
I for one certainly would not treat it as an invitation to pass

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 5, 2019, 6:43 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2019, 7:41 pm
macca46 wrote:
So Aussies use it to stop people breaking the law for a few moments ......... why am I NOT surprised :lol: :lol: :lol:
They only ever slow down for a few moments anyhow, caught or not.
Wallies are Wallies, there is no reasoning.
And I doubt it is limited to just Australia. If you REALLY look they are the same the world over.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 5, 2019, 9:39 am

Here's the big problem with Thais using the flashing headlights to indicate they are coming through in a hurry. Many times I have encountered situations where myself and another vehicle are approaching an unmarked intersection for example, or a car may be in a parallel parking space and is indicating that he wants to enter into the flow of traffic that may be backed up, and I want to show courtesy to let him go first or let him into the traffic flow ahead of me. If I flash my lights, which is common place in the US to indicate "you can go ahead", then how does one indicate the extension of a courtesy here? In those instances it gets very awkward and there is no remedy except to just ignore being courteous and drive like every other idiot here. I generally just wave with my hands in the front windshield to "go ahead", but the Thais simply don't respond to that, or if they do they are very slow to react as if they are not quite sure what it means. Not being able to understand these types of signals can put one into a very dangerous situation. Being courteous here has already caused me one accident when I first arrived in Thailand when a guy hit me from behind because I slowed to allowed someone in front of me. Now, I simply drive offensively like the Thais and less defensively like in the US. It's really the only way to survive here.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 5, 2019, 9:59 am

macca46 wrote:
It quite often has the same meaning here, if it is on the other side of the road and no traffic in front of the other vehicle.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » June 5, 2019, 10:01 am

Semperfiguy hits the nail right on the head here. Likewise I have stopped trying to be courteous, there is simply no point. My wife could not believe the polite way drivers in Scotland behaved, when we lived there.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » June 5, 2019, 5:15 pm

Doodoo wrote:
June 5, 2019, 6:05 am
Raoul Duke

"Any ideas on the switching on of hazard lights whilst going through an intersection situation?"
This means I don't want to stop so lookout I am coming through and hopefully Buddha will look after me
and the person who I will hit

If someone or something is hit when I continue throught the intersection the "Oh my brakes failed " excuse is always available
Thanks Doodoo
I might give it a try.
Voiceover for hire.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 6, 2019, 10:52 am

Semper Fi... a couple of years ago when going by Nong Bua Market I had to slow and stop for a couple of elderly folks jumping over the barrier to cross the road.. My good deed resulted in no issues for me but the guy behind me that slammed his brakes on ended up getting rear ended by the next bad driver in the line of traffic....
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”