Marriage Extension New Rule

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Re: Marriage Extension New Rule

Post by LoneTraveler » May 14, 2019, 10:37 am

tamada wrote:
May 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
Stantheman wrote:
May 13, 2019, 3:13 am
Hoopoe wrote:
May 13, 2019, 12:39 am
Just an update on someone who's just applied for the marriage ext ,All documents in, accepted , he was then given 2 dates to report back to the office ,first date to bring in evidence of his already submitted bank account ,as in proof of usage (as they put it ) he asked ,"did they require a further accompanying bank letter " the answer "NO"
The second date was (if all good with bank account ) to pick up his extension stamp ,
Wonder if usage means deposit or withdrawal activity or maybe both.
I think it's Thaiglish for "proof of non-usage" since the whole purpose is to show compliance with post-application seasoning, ie. don't touch it for 3 months after you've filed for the extension?
Perhaps you can help me understand "since the whole purpose is to show compliance with post-application seasoning, ie. don't touch it for 3 months after you've filed for the extension"? I thought there was no requirement to keep money in Bank after extension approved for marriage. I know 2 months seasoned prior to application and 1 month while waiting for approval status.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Hoopoe wrote:
May 13, 2019, 12:39 am
Just an update on someone who's just applied for the marriage ext ,All documents in, accepted , he was then given 2 dates to report back to the office ,first date to bring in evidence of his already submitted bank account ,as in proof of usage (as they put it ) he asked ,"did they require a further accompanying bank letter " the answer "NO"
The second date was (if all good with bank account ) to pick up his extension stamp ,
Having applied for marriage extension were you required to bring a Thai witness to attest to the marriage? I ask because I was in Udon Immigration for my 90 day and asked if this would be a requirement when I applied for marriage extension (currently retirement). I/O kept asking me what, what you ask. Told me to go to other desk and ask but the place was very busy so I left without the answer.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 14, 2019, 10:52 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 14, 2019, 10:45 am

Having applied for marriage extension were you required to bring a Thai witness to attest to the marriage? I ask because I was in Udon Immigration for my 90 day and asked if this would be a requirement when I applied for marriage extension (currently retirement). I/O kept asking me what, what you ask. Told me to go to other desk and ask but the place was very busy so I left without the answer.
You are required to bring a non family/related Thai person, a neighbour, with you for your second or more extension. If it is your first you are required to bring 2, it is strongly suggested that one be in some official position for example pu yai baan, local government etc. Any thai person will need a copy of their house book and ID card.

Caveat
As with all immigration related information some people may have had a different requirement.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 14, 2019, 11:01 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
... I/O kept asking me what, what you ask. Told me to go to other desk and ask ...
Sounds like 'Wing man' was having a(nother) bad hair day.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 14, 2019, 11:02 am

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 14, 2019, 10:37 am
Perhaps you can help me understand "since the whole purpose is to show compliance with post-application seasoning, ie. don't touch it for 3 months after you've filed for the extension"? I thought there was no requirement to keep money in Bank after extension approved for marriage. I know 2 months seasoned prior to application and 1 month while waiting for approval status.
I have long since given up trying to fathom the purpose of any requirement.

The rule states 2 months at the time of application, there has been no published change to the rule.

Immigration are currently asking for an additional proof after application and sometimes another one after that.

Caveat
As with all immigration related information some people may have had a different requirement.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 15, 2019, 8:15 am

Choices jump thru immigration hoops in town
or my option get multi re entry from Savanahket or Saigon and have a holiday at same time
and do a day trip to the border every 3 months
Too easy

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 15, 2019, 10:31 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 14, 2019, 10:52 am
LoneTraveler wrote:

You are required to bring a non family/related Thai person, a neighbour, with you for your second or more extension. If it is your first you are required to bring 2, it is strongly suggested that one be in some official position for example pu yai baan, local government etc. Any thai person will need a copy of their house book and ID card.

Caveat
I had my Thai wife call Udon Immigration 2 times to ensure I receive the same answer. She told them this would be our first marriage visa extension and asked how many non-relatives to bring, the answer both times is one person. Therefore, I will bring one non relative and have one on standby.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Got mine a month ago or so and only took one non relative. Only spoke to him at the desk . He showed his id card and house book. He wasn't at the desk more than 3 mins. About a 6 days later 2 nice guys came to the house and spoke to deputy Pooyban. Nothing to it!!!!_

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 15, 2019, 12:24 pm

Wee Jimmy wrote:
May 15, 2019, 10:52 am
Got mine a month ago or so and only took one non relative. Only spoke to him at the desk . He showed his id card and house book. He wasn't at the desk more than 3 mins. About a 6 days later 2 nice guys came to the house and spoke to deputy Pooyban. Nothing to it!!!!_
Thank you that confirms what I have been told.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

best to bring as witness the phu jai baan or phu jing baan with id-card and housebook.
they know how to deal with authorities and most important they are accepted by thai Immigration.
500 tip is ok.
stressless…

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 19, 2019, 2:51 pm

Here's more , hope the attachment works this time ,saw this in my friends passport . the photo is in Thai , i've been informed translated it basically say's , must attend immigration office again between 10/12 with further proof of updated bank book ,this will be his third time of showing , then later date to get extension stamp
Attachments
IMG20190519125614.jpg

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » May 19, 2019, 2:55 pm

noosard wrote:
May 15, 2019, 8:15 am
Choices jump thru immigration hoops in town
or my option get multi re entry from Savanahket or Saigon and have a holiday at same time
and do a day trip to the border every 3 months
Too easy

No money in the bank or proof of income required.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 19, 2019, 5:57 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
May 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
….must attend immigration office again between 10/12 with further proof of updated bank book...
can confirm this.
same with a friend of mine last week.
application for extension based on marriage ok with udon thani Immigration.
will have to show updated bank book (400k) again mid june.
will get extension end of june.
seems to be a new practice.
:-k

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 20, 2019, 5:51 am

This report again with new up date on bank book is all well and good ,"once understood" what about those with fixed rate bonds ? eg locked away for a few years, you can't show any recent transactions as you cant debit or withdraw ,every year i've had problems with showing the fixed rate account, which ever officer is dealing with my application ,goes into the back office to get ok'd by higher up ,(i've talked to other people who have this and if believed they don't have a problem ,) can't wait till August ,really looking fwd to more nonsense ,

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2019, 6:54 am

Hoopoe wrote:
May 20, 2019, 5:51 am
This report again with new up date on bank book is all well and good ,"once understood" what about those with fixed rate bonds ? eg locked away for a few years, you can't show any recent transactions as you cant debit or withdraw ,every year i've had problems with showing the fixed rate account, which ever officer is dealing with my application ,goes into the back office to get ok'd by higher up ,(i've talked to other people who have this and if believed they don't have a problem ,) can't wait till August ,really looking fwd to more nonsense ,
If you can't withdraw immediately it is not a suitable account for immigration.

You don't have to withdraw money you can deposit whatever the minimum is, many fixed rate accounts add another term for any money deposited.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2019, 1:41 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
Here's more , hope the attachment works this time ,saw this in my friends passport . the photo is in Thai , i've been informed translated it basically say's , must attend immigration office again between 10/12 with further proof of updated bank book ,this will be his third time of showing , then later date to get extension stamp
He should remember to deposit ฿100 or so, before updating the book and getting a copy of the book, the day he goes to immigration.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 20, 2019, 2:22 pm

samuel wrote:
May 19, 2019, 5:57 pm
Hoopoe wrote:
….must attend immigration office again between 10/12 with further proof of updated bank book...
can confirm this.
same with a friend of mine last week.
application for extension based on marriage ok with udon thani Immigration.
will have to show updated bank book (400k) again mid june.
will get extension end of june.
seems to be a new practice.
:-k
Does this mean that beyond the hand-written note with the pink paperclip, there's possibly no valid stamp or official annotation in the passport that indicates the passport holder's current immigration status? There will be last year's expired extension date stamp and nothing to suggest the passport holder being in officially sanctioned limbo? IIRC, the marriage extension had the official 'under consideration' stamp. Is this still placed in the passport when the application is accepted but with a more distant 'call back' date?

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 20, 2019, 2:54 pm

Every contact is viewed as an opportunity.

They love to have visits from farangs trying to do the right thing. It gives them additional chances to have a payday.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 20, 2019, 3:18 pm

Question:
Must you have an account that has a bank book.
What of the banks that do not have not have a book to update? What can you use? Just a statement?

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 20, 2019, 4:36 pm

tamada wrote:
May 20, 2019, 2:22 pm
…. Is this still placed in the passport when the application is accepted but with a more distant 'call back' date?
same as the years before, under consideration stamp.
only new is the handwritten pink slip with reminder to show again updated bank book on june xx.
date to get the permission is now in 5 weeks - before was within 3-4 weeks.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”