Power cuts coming to Udon ?

Udon Thani news, views and comments
SJP17
udonmap.com

Re: Power cuts coming to Udon ?

Post by SJP17 » May 5, 2019, 7:56 pm

You want the best system then get a generator set up with an automatic change over switch and use a diesel generator.

http://www.generatorsolutions.org/

These guys will provide the full package.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 5, 2019, 8:13 pm

I have a 5,000 watt generator at the farm that runs a 1 HP submersible pump for irrigation. Ii runs fine but the generator quit working. No voltage. It has to be taken to the shop to see what the problem is.

I have a 3,500 watt at the house that will run the submersible pump but the starting surge is very hard on it. Now it sprung a gasoline leak at the tank shut off valve and will not start anyways. I'll take my solar power anytime over a generator regardless of the cost.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 5, 2019, 10:25 pm

SJP17 wrote:
May 5, 2019, 7:15 pm
so that you can run your house safely on generator power.
Some of us don't want to run the entire house on generator power. The electric will be back on in a few hours. Maybe a day in the worst case. Why over-engineer a temporary and relatively (in most cases) infrequent problem?
Anyone running a gennie and plugging straight into the ring main is taking a risk of frying someone or thier self.
Don't think anyone's suggested that. I don't even know what a ring main is. Is it a relative of the ring piece?
Cable reels across the floor arent the best either and would'nt be required with a proper change over switch set up.
Probably true. But so to would be relocating to Siberia. Some of us just want a fan and a computer for 12 hours a year without ISO shipping container out in the back yard back running diesel generators that could power the village.

I've managed well for many years with my Kwai Thong on wheels and extension cord. Perhaps I'll look into some "Tripping Hazard" signs in case the inspectors swing by.

I also have batteries in my flashlight that require special care and attention. Perhaps I'll start a new thread.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » May 6, 2019, 4:26 am

Giggle wrote:
May 5, 2019, 10:25 pm
SJP17 wrote:
May 5, 2019, 7:15 pm
so that you can run your house safely on generator power.
Some of us don't want to run the entire house on generator power. The electric will be back on in a few hours. Maybe a day in the worst case. Why over-engineer a temporary and relatively (in most cases) infrequent problem?
Anyone running a gennie and plugging straight into the ring main is taking a risk of frying someone or thier self.
Don't think anyone's suggested that. I don't even know what a ring main is. Is it a relative of the ring piece?
Cable reels across the floor arent the best either and would'nt be required with a proper change over switch set up.
Probably true. But so to would be relocating to Siberia. Some of us just want a fan and a computer for 12 hours a year without ISO shipping container out in the back yard back running diesel generators that could power the village.

I've managed well for many years with my Kwai Thong on wheels and extension cord. Perhaps I'll look into some "Tripping Hazard" signs in case the inspectors swing by.

I also have batteries in my flashlight that require special care and attention. Perhaps I'll start a new thread.
You could by a manual change over switch for about 120 dollars and use your Kwai Thong with no extension cord lying on the floor, have a bit of gumption giggle.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 6, 2019, 7:51 am

I'm no expert when it comes to electricity and I have a question. My generator is connected to my loop for lights and to the home fridge. All of my lighting is LED an thus really low wattage, the fridge freezer is quite big but probably no more than 1200 watts on start up. My generator is 2.8 kw and after checking it would seem my Samsung air con in the bedroom is only 850w on start up.

After reading some of the above, it would seem that as long as I stagger the fridge freezer and air con start up my generator should be fine to run both? Is this a fair assumption?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 6, 2019, 9:21 am

A safe way to use your generator. I isolated a ten amp breaker that runs essential things. I installed a double throw switch. Down position is grid connected and up position is the generator. No way can the grid and generator be connected at the same time.
Switch.jpg

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 6, 2019, 11:18 am

vincemunday wrote:
May 6, 2019, 7:51 am
I'm no expert when it comes to electricity and I have a question. My generator is connected to my loop for lights and to the home fridge. All of my lighting is LED an thus really low wattage, the fridge freezer is quite big but probably no more than 1200 watts on start up. My generator is 2.8 kw and after checking it would seem my Samsung air con in the bedroom is only 850w on start up.

After reading some of the above, it would seem that as long as I stagger the fridge freezer and air con start up my generator should be fine to run both? Is this a fair assumption?
yes will be fine, so much better than a solar system, a good solar system to do the same will cost hundreds of thousands, no contest

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 6, 2019, 1:05 pm

Had an Hour's Power cut last night in Nongers 7.15pm to 8.15 pm...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 1:13 am

glalt wrote:
May 6, 2019, 9:21 am
A safe way to use your generator. I isolated a ten amp breaker that runs essential things. I installed a double throw switch. Down position is grid connected and up position is the generator. No way can the grid and generator be connected at the same time.

Switch.jpg
Frankly, even considering the picture orientation not matching the description, that looks quite scary. An open knife-switch style mains switch mounted on a wooden window frame.

Is the (disconnected) phone line for emergencies? Like when some poor bugger gets zapped?

Is there a large, dry, wooden stick nearby?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 8:54 am

If you click on the photo, it will magnify and orient itself correctly. That small line is an outdoor sensor for a thermometer, not a phone line. I consider the simple setup safer than a double ended plug.

You sound like my wife complaining about my wire jungle. Here's another photo for you to criticize,
Wires.jpg

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 9:39 am

I happen to know what every wire is for and when I add or take something off, it is in the open and simple. Yes, I could spend a couple days re-routing wires and putting everything in a nice cabinet, but why should I. I have offered to put up a wall so my wife doesn't have to look at the jungle, but she just walks away. She doesn't complain when the grid is down and she has Internet, TV, lights and a fan.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 7, 2019, 11:03 am

Well said Gary all we do is turn main isolator off and plug in generator and start it up so easy, and just reverse when power come back

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 5:04 pm

glalt wrote:
May 7, 2019, 8:54 am
If you click on the photo, it will magnify and orient itself correctly. That small line is an outdoor sensor for a thermometer, not a phone line. I consider the simple setup safer than a double ended plug.

You sound like my wife complaining about my wire jungle. Here's another photo for you to criticize,

Wires.jpg
All manifestations of the double-ended (male-to-male) plug are evil, dangerous and to be avoided.

Your lash-up comes a close second though. I gather you and your good wife have adequate insurance coverages in place, personal and property.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 5:30 pm

minimiglia wrote:
May 7, 2019, 11:03 am
Well said Gary all we do is turn main isolator off and plug in generator and start it up so easy, and just reverse when power come back
Yes, an intrinsically safe changeover option where something is always off (totally isolated) before it's ever plugged in (connected).

Can you post a snapshot of your rats nest?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 6:37 pm

tamada wrote:
May 7, 2019, 5:04 pm
glalt wrote:

Wires.jpg
All manifestations of the double-ended (male-to-male) plug are evil, dangerous and to be avoided.

Your lash-up comes a close second though. I gather you and your good wife have adequate insurance coverages in place, personal and property.
I have absolutely no insurance. I don't remember ever seeing a house fire or injuries caused by a 12 volt battery powered solar system. I'm willing to take my chances.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2019, 7:43 pm

glalt wrote:
May 7, 2019, 6:37 pm
tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:

Wires.jpg

I have absolutely no insurance. I don't remember ever seeing a house fire or injuries caused by a 12 volt battery powered solar system. I'm willing to take my chances.
No worries, it's your funeral. Just remember, it's the current that kills, not the voltage.

Then of course there's always the risk of fire...
hot solar panel (Small).jpg
Rooftop BBQ

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » May 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

tamada wrote:
glalt wrote:

Wires.jpg

Your right and for the sake of a couple of hundred pounds you have it safe.

I know an old guy locally where i live that did the end to end male plug, he had that set up for years though now in his mid seventies he made a mistake and put his main power back on while the gennie was running, thankfully no one was working on the line and the mains power was back on so all that he ended up doing was destroying his honda gennie.

He's now getting a change over switch installed and also forking out for another gennie.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 7, 2019, 8:33 pm

One good thing about isolating a single circuit with a double throw switch is that you always know when the grid comes back on line. You can see everything not on that circuit start working again.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 7, 2019, 9:58 pm

tamada wrote:
May 5, 2019, 3:56 pm
Natas wrote:
May 5, 2019, 2:17 am

To bait ignorant types such as yourself.
pot...

kettle...
Exactly..

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 8, 2019, 7:39 pm

In a few weeks, the perennial issue of power cuts will yield to chronic and everlasting issues of flood prevention, followed soon thereafter by dire warnings of severe drought and heat -- and power cuts.

Can pestilence, famine and war be far off?

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Udon Thani News”