Power cuts coming to Udon ?

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Zidane
udonmap.com

Power cuts coming to Udon ?

Post by Zidane » May 2, 2019, 11:34 am

Tuesday afternoon went to Immigration.Parking always a bit difficult there so park near the Police Station about 3 minutes walk away.
Scorchingly hot but I consoled myself with the thought I would soon be in the aircon.
But no power in the Immigration Office,so no aircon.....fortunately I was only doing a 90 day report so only waiting about 10 minutes.
But I dont think they could do visa extensions because of this.I felt very sorry for the staff who were still there.
But,anyway,yesterday morning the power went off at our home near Tesco Lotus Extra for a couple of hours and I was speaking to a farang who lives near Nong Bua where the same had happened....not storm related.
Apparently,because of the scorching temperatures which have lasted for over a month without a break now,the grid cant always cope with the demand....so pray for rain....quick !

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Power cuts coming to Udon ?

Post by glalt » May 2, 2019, 11:43 am

Amazingly enough, Loei immigration has a battery backup system for their computers. Here in my area of Loei province, the electric grid is horrible. It goes down often, maybe a minute or two five times on many days with long downtimes often. My solar systems may never pay for themselves but it sure is nice to have electricity 24/7. Best money I have ever spent. Not big enough for air con but fans are better than nothing.

Natas

Post by Natas » May 2, 2019, 4:31 pm

If you do not have facts. Do not post hearsay. Seriously posting this..

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 3, 2019, 7:15 am

Just buy a generator, too easy and will run aircon

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 3, 2019, 10:09 am

minimiglia wrote:
May 3, 2019, 7:15 am
What size is your generator? I have a 3,500 watt at the house but it needs some TLC to get it going.

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » May 3, 2019, 11:07 am

Natas wrote:
May 2, 2019, 4:31 pm
that could be why he put a question mark after the title to stop a smart arse like you making a stupid commant...ha ha !
sean

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 3, 2019, 11:27 am

glalt wrote:
May 2, 2019, 11:43 am
Amazingly enough, Loei immigration has a battery backup system for their computers. Here in my area of Loei province, the electric grid is horrible. It goes down often, maybe a minute or two five times on many days with long downtimes often. My solar systems may never pay for themselves but it sure is nice to have electricity 24/7. Best money I have ever spent. Not big enough for air con but fans are better than nothing.
Hi could you enlighten me as to your solar system setup i.e, Kws, cost instillation, where to purchase. I was thinking about a Honda generator but seems cumbersome to operate and I am not comfortable keeping gasoline around the house for months at a time. I have solar lighting around my property and they work fine. I am so tired of sweating in the heat when the power goes off for hours at a time especially at night which seems to be most of the time these outages occur. I am interested in running fans and maybe TV or refrigerator off grid. I do expect the power situation to get worse when rainy season comes.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Thailand is moving backward, it seems, when it comes to providing a regular electric supply. Soon it will be on par with the Philippines with its famous "brown outs."

Good thing they have a multi-trillion high-speed rail network and submarines to guard the coast. Oh, and thousands of new new wats being constructed across the country.

Third-world buffoonery.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 3, 2019, 2:55 pm

glalt wrote:
May 3, 2019, 10:09 am
minimiglia wrote:
May 3, 2019, 7:15 am
What size is your generator? I have a 3,500 watt at the house but it needs some TLC to get it going.
Gary it is 2500 as I have told you many times!!!

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 3, 2019, 2:56 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 3, 2019, 11:27 am
glalt wrote:
May 2, 2019, 11:43 am
Hi could you enlighten me as to your solar system setup i.e, Kws, cost instillation, where to purchase. I was thinking about a Honda generator but seems cumbersome to operate and I am not comfortable keeping gasoline around the house for months at a time. I have solar lighting around my property and they work fine. I am so tired of sweating in the heat when the power goes off for hours at a time especially at night which seems to be most of the time these outages occur. I am interested in running fans and maybe TV or refrigerator off grid. I do expect the power situation to get worse when rainy season comes.
Unbelieveable so easy to run a generator

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 3, 2019, 4:06 pm

I have three systems. I have too may trees for one large system. Any shade kills the solar panel output. The biggest system has four 250 watt panels connected to a solar charge controller, 4 6 volt golf cart batteries connected to input 12 volts to a 1,500 watt inverter. It runs my computer room and house security cameras. the other two systems are smaller. The biggest system might run my inverter air con but it wouldn't fun long on the battery bank.

I'm putting together one very small system for my garage now. One solar panel at about 5,000 baht, a MPPT charge controller at about 1,500 baht, a small deep cell battery at 6,000 baht and an inverter at about 1,800 baht. With the cables it costs about 15,000 baht. The small system will run lights, a fan and a computer but not much else. It's doubtful that the system will ever pay for itself but I don't care. I needed the small system to run my garage security cameras. I want them to run 24/7. There is a lot of information on the Internet that will guide you through installation.

A generator is a hassle for me but by far the cheaper option.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 3, 2019, 5:14 pm

Get a Kwai Thong.

Mine is 2000 W and you start it by turning a key. Fill it with gasoline in the top and you have lektrik for 10 hours or so. Keep the gas can out in the shed with the lawn stuff. Keep the generator in the laundry room on a rolling dolly to wheel outside when the fai daps. Turn the key and it goes. How is this more difficult than solar cells and batteries and wires and cloudy days and ...?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 3, 2019, 5:37 pm

"Thailand is moving backward"

My rose-colored glasses just fogged up. When we moved to the kilo 18 area 20 years ago, power typically dipped to 160 in the evening hours.....power went off during almost every storm, sometimes for many hours. But as the years have gone by, power has slowly improved...to the point where today, our power rarely dips at all and rarely goes off even during storms. The power lines along the Udon-Nongwahsaw highway have all been upgraded and a major sub-station built near kilo 8 from Udon.
Stable power is sort of like what stable internet was some years ago. It all depended where you lived. I think most of the internet problems have been worked out with fiber optic nearly everywhere. I
If your village is having regular power problems, I'd pop into the PEA building on the ring road. Hunt down an engineer......many of them can speak passable English. If you're lucky, he'll look at your problem and tell you if there are any imminent plans to improve the electric grid.
If power is regularly bad, round up 20 neighbors and have them sign a letter stating that the electrical problems are causing damage to their refrigerators/tvs/electronics. Take that letter to the PEA office. You may have to wait a good long while before a transformer is installed, but at least you can make your voices heard.
ngiiap ngiiap (เงียบๆ) will get you nowhere.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 3, 2019, 6:24 pm

Why do you think certain individuals urged self-sufficiency so often?
If you have to rely on the competence and professionalism of others, you will likely be quite often disappointed here.

Buy a generator and avoid the uncomfortable stretches at 40+ degrees when the pros at PEA are unravelling their handiwork.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » May 4, 2019, 1:31 pm

Giggle wrote:
May 3, 2019, 6:24 pm
If you have to rely on the competence and professionalism of others, you will likely be quite often disappointed here.

Buy a generator and avoid the uncomfortable stretches at 40+ degrees when the pros at PEA are unravelling their handiwork.

I am considering buying a Honda 2200i portable generator. I have seen many short videos on how to operate and store long term. What I have not seen and I did an extensive search, is what extension cord to use and how to use it.. I read a post here to purchase a weather proof one from tool pro. Also, I want to run the generator outside but it says not to operate outdoors in wet weather which is when most outages occur.

How do you connect various items to the generator if they are located in different areas of the house. I can see a multi-pronged extension cord but how do I plug in items such as a tv or fan if located in different rooms.I realize I can connect if I limit all hookups to one room which is rather limiting especially if I want to plug in items in both the kitchen and bedroom. And I know I am limited by wattage as to what I can plug into the generator. Can anyone advise?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Giggle wrote:
May 3, 2019, 5:14 pm
Get a Kwai Thong.

Mine is 2000 W and you start it by turning a key. Fill it with gasoline in the top and you have lektrik for 10 hours or so. Keep the gas can out in the shed with the lawn stuff. Keep the generator in the laundry room on a rolling dolly to wheel outside when the fai daps. Turn the key and it goes. How is this more difficult than solar cells and batteries and wires and cloudy days and ...?
What makes it difficult is that the grid goes down for a minute or two often several times a day. That brief outage is enough force you to reset whatever needs reset.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

It's not ideal, for sure, but it beats having no electric.

It must be run outdoors, as it's a gas-powered combustion engine. Put it in a carport or any overhang near the house and it will be fine. It's a little bit noisy and a little bit smelly, but it provides enough juice to power tv, computer, multiple fans, refrigerator, etc. I've never tried to use an air conditioner with it. I use a workman's extension into the center of the house and then individual cords to where I need them.

Remember, this is only a temporary setup, and usually only required a few months a year. They're doing road construction near my house and had a couple full-day, planned outages this winter. This setup worked perfectly.

It's often difficult to tell how long the power will be down and I only drag the generator out if it's unbearably scorching, or it's been longer than 2 hours. Such is the price we pay for living in paradise. ;)

Natas

Post by Natas » May 5, 2019, 2:17 am

souness wrote:
May 3, 2019, 11:07 am
Natas wrote:
May 2, 2019, 4:31 pm
that could be why he put a question mark after the title to stop a smart arse like you making a stupid commant...ha ha !
sean
To bait ignorant types such as yourself.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2019, 3:56 pm

Natas wrote:
May 5, 2019, 2:17 am

To bait ignorant types such as yourself.
pot...

kettle...

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » May 5, 2019, 7:15 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
May 4, 2019, 1:31 pm
Giggle wrote:
May 3, 2019, 6:24 pm

I am considering buying a Honda 2200i portable generator. I have seen many short videos on how to operate and store long term. What I have not seen and I did an extensive search, is what extension cord to use and how to use it.. I read a post here to purchase a weather proof one from tool pro. Also, I want to run the generator outside but it says not to operate outdoors in wet weather which is when most outages occur.

How do you connect various items to the generator if they are located in different areas of the house. I can see a multi-pronged extension cord but how do I plug in items such as a tv or fan if located in different rooms.I realize I can connect if I limit all hookups to one room which is rather limiting especially if I want to plug in items in both the kitchen and bedroom. And I know I am limited by wattage as to what I can plug into the generator. Can anyone advise?
You need to install a change over switch so that you can run your house safely on generator power as it will isolate the mains power.

Anyone running a gennie and plugging straight into the ring main is taking a risk of frying someone or thier self.

Cable reels across the floor arent the best either and would'nt be required with a proper change over switch set up.

Return to “Udon Thani News”