Why I in 20 years av never married a Thai lady...

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mudguard
udonmap.com

Why I in 20 years av never married a Thai lady...

Post by Mudguard » April 16, 2019, 10:26 am

I read today where a married foreigner who has Thai children from that marriage, was told he had to pay foreigner price for entering a water fall tourist area yesterday.....n the Thai family gets in free.....He lives here and is not a tourist..

I worked out 20 years ago when I was teaching here the hurdles n long jumps a married foreigner is persecuted with here by officialdom (immigration is first n foremost on the list)..who seem to hate foreigners married to Thais...

That was the reason I did not want to marry...I had many opportunities to do so....Over the years I av seen the never ending increase paperwork that married friends av to present each year.....n do not forget the family leeches..who think foreigners are a walking ATM Machine...for them to slide the card down your back...

We av an old saying in Australia...Why buy a book when you can join the library...
I enjoy my library membership....and being single, av enjoyed going to IMM every time...

Before you knockers jump in with the usual rubbish in response, "Read the first paragraph again".. 8)

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Why I in 20 years av never married a Thai lady...

Post by 747man » April 16, 2019, 10:46 am

I read today where a married foreigner who has Thai children from that marriage, was told he had to pay foreigner price for entering a water fall tourist area yesterday.....n the Thai family gets in free.....He lives here and is not a tourist..

Mudguard, I've NOT Been asked to pay " Foreigner Price " for anything / attraction here for about 20 Years Now....

IF I Am ever asked this,Simple Answer..............WALK AWAY........... They Lose !!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 10:52 am

AND, the question is; Are you better off than the married expats? Do you get in tourist attractions for the same price the Thai people pay?

I married a Thai lady because I wanted a life partner. I'm one of the people who hates living alone and someday dieing alone.

I certainly didn't get married because I thought the government would treat me better. Thailand has a lot of warts but doesn't every country? Ask yourself why you are here rather than in your home country. I'm not trapped here and could leave anytime. I choose to live here because my life is good.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 10:59 am

At one time we went to a National park. I had a car load of Thai kids and people in the car. The people at the gate wanted to charge just me. I asked the money collector where I could turn the car around because I wasn't paying. I had traffic blocked. Soon there was a group of Thais yelling at the gate keeper. I think he feared that he was going to get beat up. He waved us in and I didn't pay.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » April 16, 2019, 12:10 pm

[quote=glalt post_id=541601 time=1555386772 user_id=3312]
I married a Thai lady because I wanted a life partner. I'm one of the people who hates living alone and someday dieing alone.
I certainly didn't get married because I thought the government would treat me better. Thailand has a lot of warts but doesn't every country? Ask yourself why you are here rather than in your home country. I'm not trapped here and could leave anytime. I choose to live here because my life is good.
[/quote]

I agree 100 %...You hit the nail right on the head. No marriage is perfect because we are not perfect. Every marriage has its own share of problems that can be hard to overcome. What separates the successful marriages from unsuccessful marriages is how we handle those problems. Even though every marriage has its ups and downs, successful couples learn how to manage the bumps and keep their relationship going. We have been married for 46 years and we still have our ups and downs but the down times do not last very long. We plan to stay together and grow old together. Love is a choice even though you may not feel like loving that person when you are going thru those challenging disagreements and tough issues to deal with, you chose to still love that person in spite of what your emotions are telling you. We lived in the U.S. for 40 years and retired in Thailand by choice. She has been by my side thru thick and thin. I would marry her and go thru all of it with her all over again.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 12:40 pm

"We have been married for 46 years and we still have our ups and downs but the down times do not last very long. We plan to stay together and grow old together. "

Compared to you, I'm still on my honeymoon. We have been together for only 15 years.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 16, 2019, 1:35 pm

To answer your question bluntly , im guessing you have trust issues .

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » April 16, 2019, 1:39 pm

saint wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:35 pm
Not really, it's just he's Gay
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

joepai wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:39 pm
saint wrote:
April 16, 2019, 1:35 pm
Not really, it's just he's Gay
LOL! I thought about that myself.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Sometimes you have to sit down and take a close look at yourself. I live in my wife's house upcountry. Before I agreed to try living upcountry I had my wife promise that none of her family would ever live n the house with us and that I value my privacy so I wouldn't want the house to be a gathering pace. It's just the two of us. I still have my condo and could pack a bag and move back in there tomorrow.

Sometime I tease her about finding a rich farang. Her stock answer is that she is now too old to train another farang husband. She has four sisters and tells me to take a look at three of their husbands. She says that they are the reason she would never marry a Thai man.

Like most Thai families they are tight knit. I am a crotchety old fart. She knows better than to ask me to go to weddings, funerals or family get together parties. She is free to do all the family functions and I am content to stay home. YES, she probably could have done better than marrying me. After fifteen years she says she will probably keep me, but, she is a woman and one never knows for sure what they will do. I advise every man who marries a Thai woman to have a plan "B".

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » April 16, 2019, 2:19 pm

Glad your happy with your choice Mudguard.
I've been married here for over 10 years now, and still happy with my choice.
:lol: We do have an extensive library in Thailand but sometimes you find a book that's worth keeping. :lol:
UFF DA!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2019, 2:33 pm

About Thai immigration. I am legally married and stay here with a visa based on retirement. That makes my immigration hassles no different than single guys.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 16, 2019, 2:42 pm

Is it any different in Thailand to living in a relationship, that it is living in one in the West/East?

My view is that if the relationship works for both of you, you stay in it. If it doesn't work, then you simply walk away from it.

This is something that one can do in Thailand, but would probably find more difficult to do in the West/East, due to the legal system, child support obligations/laws and eventual assest split. Eitherway, whether you live with someone (full or part time) or choose to live alone and "Rent a Companion", it's an individual choice.

I would say, from past experience, is that there is no joy in your later years of life, if you live/stay in a relationship that doesn't work. You cant get years of unhappiness back, not at that stage of your life.

Someone once said to me, "I would rather live in a 44 gallon drum on the beach, than live in a relationship with woman that I didn't like". :-k :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 16, 2019, 11:08 pm

I'm only here for the somtam.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Wide Awake
udonmap.com

Post by Wide Awake » April 17, 2019, 12:26 pm

I would never marry again here. Its all about money.
Show up a little short of your 400K at time of VISA renewal, and you will be denied and told to leave.
They don't care how long you had been married, the fact you took good care of Thai wife, and or family.
No respect for the marriage "promise, commitment", contract.
Only the Benjamins. [-X

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » April 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

The day a couple hundred baht to enter a park influences a life decision is the day I will declare myself a sad individual........

Full disclosure: married with 3 babies

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 18, 2019, 10:47 am

With you 100% on that 86Tiger.

I went to Pha Taem near Ubon recently. Before going, I read Trip Advisor reviews and noted the 7 "terrible" reviews ..... from falang complaining about dual pricing. I thought they were hilarious. Pha Taem is an incredible and historical site about a 90 minute drive from "civilisation" but the reviewers got to the gate with a car full of Thais, turned round and went home in indignation at the prices.

What must their Thai families truly think of them behind the smiles and supposed support of their attitude!?!

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » April 18, 2019, 10:58 am

Marriage and babies in Thailand? After getting hooked and reeled in without a fight you get stuck in the Keep Net, often full of predators, difficult to get out. You look back and realize you've been done up like a Kipper.
Nice to be out in the ocean with all those other fit and willing female fish.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 18, 2019, 11:21 am

My question is, why is it so difficult to get out? I always advise my friends to have a plan "B". That plan "B" makes sure that you can always walk away. Maybe the best thing is to never spend more than you can comfortably walk away from.

Even after fifteen years with my Thai wife, I still have a condo in my name that I bought BEFORE we married and my nest egg is in a US bank as well as my Thai bank account in my name only. I have spent a considerable amount of money on land and her house, all in her name. After all these years she deserves to have it all for putting up with me. Hope for the best but plan for the worst and you will never be trapped.

Men who put all their eggs in one basket and are trapped is their own fault because they never had a plan "B".

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 18, 2019, 11:33 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
April 18, 2019, 10:58 am
Marriage and babies in Thailand? After getting hooked and reeled in without a fight you get stuck in the Keep Net, often full of predators, difficult to get out. You look back and realize you've been done up like a Kipper.
Nice to be out in the ocean with all those other fit and willing female fish.
Sounds a bit more like a Bait Bag that you throw over the side of a boat, when trying to attract Sharks, than a Kipper \:D/

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on April 18, 2019, 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”