Re: 5 Year Renewal of Driver's License

Post by AlexO » March 8, 2019, 6:52 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 8, 2019, 6:29 pm
AlexO wrote:
March 8, 2019, 6:03 pm
colt1911 wrote:
March 8, 2019, 12:11 pm
No. Yellow house book, drivers license and Passport. Bring a copy of each.
Colt, you need a medical certificate, sure. I went to local hospital for mine. Depends if the Officer 's time of month or if Yik performed that night.
No medical certificate is needed from 5 year to 5 year.
Only from 2 year to 5 year.
OK mate you obviously know way more than me. Even the Thais must question a guy getting a 5 year at 70 year old and not having to prove he is still competent at 75 with a ticket to drive until he is 80? Get a medical check, saved my life.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 8, 2019, 10:02 pm

Nope. Must go:
1. Pick up form to hand carry to Immigration.
2. Days or a week later, pick up the form from immigration and hand carry it back to the Driver's License office. Make an appointment to take the test.
3. Go back a third time to take the test.

Three trips is the bare minimum. If you are missing documents, it will be more.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 8, 2019, 10:28 pm

AlexO wrote:
March 8, 2019, 6:52 pm
OK mate you obviously know way more than me. Even the Thais must question a guy getting a 5 year at 70 year old and not having to prove he is still competent at 75 with a ticket to drive until he is 80? Get a medical check, saved my life.
I have no idea if I know more or less than you & make no claims on that, I can read the English part of the DLT website.

Sure you should regularly get a medical check and more often than every 5/6 years, the form for the DLT is certainly not anything you should rely on for that.

The DLT required certificate for a 2 year licence and from a 2 year to a 5 year licence is a joke, it only needs to prove that you don't have 5 disease (elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, leprosy or drug addiction) it has nothing much to do with being competent.

The DLT doesn't require you to give a certificate that you don't have elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, leprosy or drug addiction 5 years to 5 years

So which one of those did you have that saved your life? :roll:
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 9, 2019, 7:30 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 8, 2019, 10:28 pm
AlexO wrote:
March 8, 2019, 6:52 pm
I have no idea if I know more or less than you & make no claims on that, I can read the English part of the DLT website.

Sure you should regularly get a medical check and more often than every 5/6 years, the form for the DLT is certainly not anything you should rely on for that.

The DLT required certificate for a 2 year licence and from a 2 year to a 5 year licence is a joke, it only needs to prove that you don't have 5 disease (elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, leprosy or drug addiction) it has nothing much to do with being competent.

The DLT doesn't require you to give a certificate that you don't have elephantiasis, tuberculosis, alcoholism, leprosy or drug addiction 5 years to 5 years

So which one of those did you have that saved your life? :roll:
Usual SA response, what checks did you get to make sure you were not an alchoholic, had TB or were a habitual drug user? My checks discovered I had way too high blood pressure, very high cholesterol levels and was borderline Type 2 Diabetic. I was pointing out that I was asked for a medical certificate last time I applied for my 5 year renewal.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 9, 2019, 8:01 am

the last time i needed doctor certificates ,we went to a small local clinic or doctor , i was asked if i was healthy and they made me the certificate without any examination, 50 baht ..., but some check your weight and blood pressure and that's all,and if there should be an age limit on driving i would put it on 75 year , any older the best in us is longtime gone then ,we are not a bottle of wine whom is getting better with aging ....
btw , i never needed any dc for extension 5 year dl as stww also mentioned ...
in my time they were giving the first 2 years a 1 year dl and after those you would get a 5 year license , for all those 3 i needed the doctor certificate , extending the 5 year again to 5 , never ,done now 3 times also ...as info .. ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 9, 2019, 9:14 am

AlexO wrote:
March 9, 2019, 7:30 am
Usual SA response, what checks did you get to make sure you were not an alchoholic, had TB or were a habitual drug user? My checks discovered I had way too high blood pressure, very high cholesterol levels and was borderline Type 2 Diabetic. I was pointing out that I was asked for a medical certificate last time I applied for my 5 year renewal.
If you wish to consider truth SA, then yours qualify as DA and exaggerated as those conditions are not life threatening.

You should be getting regular checkups. From what you say you may have done that and added on the DLT certificate

Those discoveries have nothing to do with the certificate you need for any DLT licence, apart from the high blood pressure.
doctors who issued the certificates to the applicants must certify that the applicants are not disabled to the extent that they cannot perform their duties; do not suffer from mental illness or being mentally disabled or showing symptoms of drug abuse or chronic alcoholism and do not have symptoms of leprosy which are communicable and symptoms of tuberculosis in dangerous stage.
None of that requires the doctor to do more than observe talk a bit and do a blood pressure check.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 9, 2019, 12:31 pm

And Doctors can do that with just a short verbal interview and a BP check? Must be magicians here in Thailand. Saying that never seen many cases of elephantiasis or leprosy on the roads but reserve judgement on the other 3.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 9, 2019, 12:37 pm

If you wish to consider truth SA, then yours qualify as DA and exaggerated as those conditions are not life threatening.
NO, forgot you were not just a joiner (British word for wood butcher) but now a medical expert as well. Must be brilliant to be so good at so many things. Quick answer, what is the biggest killer of Western men???

klusdesign
udonmap.com

Post by klusdesign » March 10, 2019, 2:42 pm

No need or a doctors paper. I made my 2 driver licenses 2 weeks back in Februari.
I had 2 residence confirmation from immigration (500 bht each) and my passport plus my 2 old licences
and everything was oke. The residence papers I get at once, not one problem at all.

klusdesign
udonmap.com

Post by klusdesign » March 10, 2019, 2:44 pm

No need or a doctors paper. I made my 2 driver licenses 2 weeks back in Februari.
I had 2 residence confirmation from immigration (500 bht each) and my passport plus my 2 old licences
and everything was oke. The residence papers I get at once, not one problem at all.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 10, 2019, 3:40 pm

klusdesign wrote:
March 10, 2019, 2:44 pm
Just for information, if you are getting both license's at AEK they will accept a single residence confirmation from immigration for the first and a copy for the second licence

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » October 5, 2019, 2:20 pm

Just in case you are about to renew your 5-year license at the Udon-Aek branch of the Land Transport operation I can confirm that the information given by recent posters on the subject remains correct. I merely add some amplification.
I have to admit I really doubted the concept that if you waited until after your birthday expiration date another year would be added on (making it a 6-year license) especially when my landlord was almost jumping up and down in agitation trying to explain that if you let the license expire you have to go through the entire procedure again. No worries, 6 years it was. Being curious I wonder how many days/months/years you could let it lapse before asking for a renewal.
I noticed on the proof of residency letter from immigration that the letter is valid for 30 days. Had wondered about that when you consider the validity of letter from a bank for immigration regarding your funds when requesting extension of permission to stay is at most one working day.
The final small point is that when I went on Friday, I was told they were not doing renewals that day and I would have to come back the next day at 8am. Even though the next day would be a Saturday I was reassured I would be able to get my new licenses. Reassured until slightly after 8am when I arrived and there was nobody to attend to customers, no customers waiting outside and the room was largely in darkness. I could open the door and inside a solitary cleaning lady re-reassured me that they would be open at 9am. So this lady was correct and her superior of the previous day was, shall we say… alternatively so.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 5, 2019, 3:23 pm

"if you let the license expire you have to go through the entire procedure again."

Several Thai websites that discuss renewal experiences, as recently as 6 months ago, say you can go up to 1 year after expiration without jumping through hoops to get a new one. 3months prior, up to 1 year after.
If I was in those particular shoes, I'd check more deeply.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 5, 2019, 4:36 pm

and if you forget to renew and are stopped by the Police what's the fine?
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 5, 2019, 4:46 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
October 5, 2019, 4:36 pm
and if you forget to renew and are stopped by the Police what's the fine?
I'm sure you'd be fined for an expired license. I don't think the 1 year grace period allows driving..... probably more designed for some who might be working overseas and 8s unable to renew it on time.
I'm guessing, of course

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 5, 2019, 5:01 pm

and if you forget to renew and are stopped by the Police what's the fine? ....400 baht and drive on... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 5, 2019, 5:06 pm

kopkei wrote:
October 5, 2019, 5:01 pm
and if you forget to renew and are stopped by the Police what's the fine? ....400 baht and drive on... ;)
I wouldn't be so sure!
https://www.matichon.co.th/economy/news_1097928

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 5, 2019, 5:15 pm

you all must know already that there is a big gap between existing laws and application of them , a friend of my wife was recently stopped without a dl ....400 baht and drive on , still does not have a dl ...,so all depending what area , what cop, did he sleep well?... enc.....TIT (forever).... ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 6, 2019, 7:27 am

frankieboy37 wrote:
October 5, 2019, 2:20 pm
Just in case you are about to renew your 5-year license at the Udon-Aek branch of the Land Transport operation I can confirm that the information given by recent posters on the subject remains correct. I merely add some amplification.
I have to admit I really doubted the concept that if you waited until after your birthday expiration date another year would be added on (making it a 6-year license) especially when my landlord was almost jumping up and down in agitation trying to explain that if you let the license expire you have to go through the entire procedure again. No worries, 6 years it was. Being curious I wonder how many days/months/years you could let it lapse before asking for a renewal.
I noticed on the proof of residency letter from immigration that the letter is valid for 30 days. Had wondered about that when you consider the validity of letter from a bank for immigration regarding your funds when requesting extension of permission to stay is at most one working day.
The English language guide on the DLT website is accurate and (unlike immigration rules) it is applied everywhere in every office. It is at dlt.go.th
This is only for renewal of the licence not for driving.
For driving you should have a current licence or you can/will/may be fined
If you have both license's AEK will accept copies of every document for the second licence renewal at the same time.

AEK did not require me to watch the video, other people have had to watch it.

Licence renewal
Up to 1 year out of date: no difference for renewal, reaction test, eyesight test, video.
Between 1 year and 3 years : take a theory test, reaction test, eyesight test, video.
Over 3 years : take a practical driving test, a theory test, reaction test, eyesight test, video.

IMG_8428-2.jpeg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 6, 2019, 8:00 am

parrot wrote:
October 5, 2019, 3:23 pm
"if you let the license expire you have to go through the entire procedure again."

Several Thai websites that discuss renewal experiences, as recently as 6 months ago, say you can go up to 1 year after expiration without jumping through hoops to get a new one. 3months prior, up to 1 year after.
If I was in those particular shoes, I'd check more deeply.
The websites are completely correct and so is the 3 months before and 1 year after.

But the licence is issued for five years finishing on your 5th birthday from the date of renewal (not the expiry date of the licence). So renew early get 5 years, renew just after get virtually 6 years

As you can see the first (provisional) licence may not run to your birthday
IMG_8443.PNG
The 5 year licence was, in my case, 5 years 4 ½ months because of the February renewal.

I did not drive to AEK as the licence had expired the day before SWMBO did the driving that day
IMG_8442.PNG

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”