Selling a car if not in Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
gprit
udonmap.com

Selling a car if not in Thailand

Post by gprit » February 18, 2019, 6:03 pm

When we left Thailand we left our car with family in Thailand. As our visits will be fewer than we thought we have decided we should sell our car. My question is......how can we do this as obviously we won't be in Thailand to sign any of the paperwork. Is there a way around this? Maybe a Power of Attorney or something? Any suggestions?
btw....it's a 2015 Nissan Almera, about 55,000km, excellent condition and serviced by main dealer.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Selling a car if not in Thailand

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 18, 2019, 6:23 pm

gprit wrote:
February 18, 2019, 6:03 pm
When we left Thailand we left our car with family in Thailand. As our visits will be fewer than we thought we have decided we should sell our car. My question is......how can we do this as obviously we won't be in Thailand to sign any of the paperwork. Is there a way around this? Maybe a Power of Attorney or something? Any suggestions?
btw....it's a 2015 Nissan Almera, about 55,000km, excellent condition and serviced by main dealer.
We just transferred ownership of the secondhand car we bought, if transferred within the registered province it is a bit easier, however ours was transferred from Bangkok to Udon so required 2 visits from us to the main office and a change of number plates. The owner had signed the relevant documents and provided signed copies of their house book and ID card and was not present at any time, in fact we never met her and a mutual friend got the paperwork and passed on the money.

So complete the relevant documents and leave them with someone you can trust.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » February 18, 2019, 6:42 pm

thanks for that.....but I guess somewhere along the line the sellers of your car had to sign SOMEWHERE in front of someone??? What document is required? beside the copy house book and copy ID card......are copies ok?? would not someone have had to see the original??

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 18, 2019, 8:55 pm

gprit wrote:
February 18, 2019, 6:42 pm
thanks for that.....but I guess somewhere along the line the sellers of your car had to sign SOMEWHERE in front of someone??? What document is required? beside the copy house book and copy ID card......are copies ok?? would not someone have had to see the original??
AFIK they just signed the transfer paper, copies of ID card and house book, no originals of ID & HB required. Of course they handed over the blue book, the insurance and service receipts. The insurance and service receipts were just for us.

This had to go to Bangkok to confirm the car registration and tax was correct and up to date.

I have no idea if the owner had any requirement to visit the LTO apart from getting the transfer paper.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » February 18, 2019, 11:45 pm

I have no idea if the owner had any requirement to visit the LTO apart from getting the transfer paper.
....yes...that's the thing I need to know!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » February 19, 2019, 6:35 am

Is the vehicle registered to you , or your wife ?

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » February 26, 2019, 1:33 am

car is registered in my wife's (Thai) name.....

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 26, 2019, 8:00 am

look here at my previous post....,
post526229.html#p526229
the seller does not have to be present when the buyer need to change the registration/plate , vehicle must be present ...
you do have to leave these documents with someone you trust to make the deal and collect money in case you are not able to .... ;)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » February 26, 2019, 8:14 am

gprit wrote:
February 26, 2019, 1:33 am
car is registered in my wife's (Thai) name.....
She can download the forms kopkei says from the Land transport website , sign them and fax or e mail to someone she can trust , together with a signed copy of her I D card .
They then need to accompany the vehicle to the purple palace on the Khon Kean road , if the vehicle is registered in Udon .
If the paperwork , vehicle , and blue book are in order , then it can be transferred to new owner , who also has to be present .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 26, 2019, 9:42 am

1/ have some one to trust to make the sale and collect the sales agreement in your place...
2/so after payment , sales paper ,1 for the seller ,one for the buyer ....
3/ copy of wife id card (barred with mentioning purpose)
4/ copy blue book (barred with mentioning purpose)
5/ power of attorney form to give power to the buyer to change the ownership at transportation office
6/ car blue book
again all copies signed and barred with purpose...
you do not need to be present at khonsong (TO),no matter what district, as you have given power of attorney to the buyer to do this in your name
give all these copies to the buyer after payment, and he can do the rest ....
only thing i always kept is the sales paper and a copy of the id card/passport of the buyer , so you always have proof the car was sold ,f.e if the buyer neglect to register the vehicle on his name and makes an accident later...
depending what khonsong maybe you need more than 1 set of copies? ...TIT..good luck... ;)

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » February 28, 2019, 8:29 pm

Thanks for all the advice....seems it can be done...next is to find a buyer as the car is in Phakao nr Loei!

Return to “Travel & Transport”