Brother in law passed away and there's no will

General Udon Thani topics only!
Witman1960

Brother in law passed away and there's no will

Post by Witman1960 » February 13, 2019, 6:32 pm

Apologies if this post is in the wrong part of the forum. My brother in law (Swiss) passed away a year ago and there was no last will & testament. So being intestate what is the legal framework in Thailand? Is their a government department that oversees probate?

The reason for my asking is that he had insurance and the company is based in London. It has drawn out payment as long as possible. Last December they told his wife that payment would be expedited and processed in their next payment run. She still hasn't seen any money. I won't be in Udon until April so it's really difficult to try and help her from Aust.

Spoke with the Ombudsman in London this evening and only the executor of an estate can lodge complaints. Which u was hoping to do in order to stir this company into meeting their obligations asap.

Rgds,
JohnW

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Brother in law passed away and there's no will

Post by maaka » February 15, 2019, 4:35 am

I believe Section 1659 of the Civil and Commerical Code deals with Wills and Inheritance. if thats a help..

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 15, 2019, 4:36 am

sorry Section 1629

Witman1960

Post by Witman1960 » February 15, 2019, 6:53 am

Thank you maaka. I'll do a bit of research this weekend

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 15, 2019, 9:37 am

A friend of mine, a Brit passed away Dec 22nd 2017. He too had no will. There is no insurance or property but there is a 2,2 million baht bank account. He was close to his sister in the UK. She has just made her second trip over here to try to get the money released. She has had to employ lawyers and this trip they went to court here. She was told that they may be able to make the decision to release the bank account sometime in March. She has jumped through many hoops both in the UK and here. He was never married so there is no wife or ex-wife complication.

I would advise every ex-pat to make a will to avoid this type of problems. It obviously is not a simple thing. TIT!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 15, 2019, 11:11 am

A Friend of mine passed away HERE A Few years ago & Also never left a Will He was Divorced from his Ex-Wife ( English ) But had remarried his THAI Girlfriend,I Was in The U.K at the time so was asked to inform his Son & Daughter ( Both of whom my friend had DISOWNED Many Years ago) But He wanted them told anyway,I Found a Neighbour of My Friend & Told her of his demise,Next thing I Was getting phone calls from his English EX Wife who wanted to know the Ins & Outs of a Ducks Bum ??as to Where & When He had Died as there was a BANK Account of Over 50,000 GBP ( You see where I'm Going here ?? ) Well to cut a Very long story short She ( The EX Wife ) Flew over HERE & Got Her " Greedy Hands " On ALL His Money,Leaving his now Thai Wife with Sweet F*ck All.......Then Pissed of back to her now NEW English Husband, How She did it will remain a mystery to me forever !!

Witman1960

Post by Witman1960 » February 15, 2019, 4:01 pm

Glalt: yip very sound advice. I'm getting mine updated soon before I arrive in Udon in April. I don't want my wife to go through any of the problems her sister has had to.

747man: That really sucks. I'm a great believer in karma. What you sow is what you reap and truly hope the universe or whatever squares the account. I've gotten my sister in law to cease all communication with his family and acting as her agent have instructed the insurance company to cease all contact with his family or any other party unless they get written approval from my sister in law or myself. She knows to tell them to contact me and she won't respond to their emails. She sends them to me to handle. Admittedly what happened to your friend was my biggest worry when she told me his family was asking for "big money" to keep helping her.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”