New rules for retirement visa

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: New rules for retirement visa

Post by parrot » February 10, 2019, 5:02 pm

Back in the daze before anyone in Udon had email........and I had questions about the visa situation here....I had to send a letter to a retired GI friend here and wait 2 months for him to reply. I'm pretty sure if I was considering moving here from the US today....given the thousands and thousands of posts about the current visa situation....I would opt to not move here. Way too confusing, even though I live here and can read through most of the bs.
I think the question shouldn't be 'how many expats are going to bail as a result of new rules', instead it should be how many potential expats are going to decide to not come.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2019, 9:12 pm

parrot wrote:
February 10, 2019, 5:02 pm
Back in the daze before anyone in Udon had email........and I had questions about the visa situation here....I had to send a letter to a retired GI friend here and wait 2 months for him to reply. I'm pretty sure if I was considering moving here from the US today....given the thousands and thousands of posts about the current visa situation....I would opt to not move here. Way too confusing, even though I live here and can read through most of the bs.
I think the question shouldn't be 'how many expats are going to bail as a result of new rules', instead it should be how many potential expats are going to decide to not come.
The other question parrot is how many are going to get married to meet requirements as that's the way immigration is pushing everyone towards.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 10, 2019, 9:58 pm

Pushing expats into marriage? No. Requiring expats to prove their ability to support themselves.

If expats choose to get "creative" and marry so that they can keep less on account, that's the bright idea of the expat.

I suspect that when expat marriages spike, Thai Immigration will exercise extra scrutiny on ALL marriage visas. Another scenario where the bad will cause more hassles and suffering for the good. Gaming the system is how we got to this point.
US private charity and the US government do more good for people everywhere in the world -- every year -- than any other country. God Bless America.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » February 10, 2019, 10:02 pm

Lone Star wrote:
February 10, 2019, 9:58 pm
Pushing expats into marriage? No. Requiring expats to prove their ability to support themselves.

If expats choose to get "creative" and marry so that they can keep less on account, that's the bright idea of the expat.

I suspect that when expat marriages spike, Thai Immigration will exercise extra scrutiny on ALL marriage visas. Another scenario where the bad will cause more hassles and suffering for the good. Gaming the system is how we got to this point.
Tomorrow I might be able to answer this better have a friend coming for lunch and will ask him about his day job and what's caused the changes from his point of view

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » February 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Holding the balance: Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/holding-t ... s7uRBb5.99

Clear as mud..;-)
Best regards
//DuiDui

“May we ever choose the harder right, instead of the easier wrong.” — Thomas Monson

"To grow and mature demands time and willingness to learn from your own misstakes"

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » February 17, 2019, 11:17 am

Why???????? 800000 3 month before renewal and 3 months after and 400000 for the next 6 months, simple???

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 17, 2019, 12:31 pm

minimiglia wrote:
February 17, 2019, 11:17 am
Why???????? 800000 3 month before renewal and 3 months after and 400000 for the next 6 months, simple???
Not quite the new rules are 800,000 2 month before renewal and 3 months after and 400000 for the next 7 months.

Though working on the 3+3+6 is certainly safe
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 17, 2019, 1:35 pm

I too think that if you can't meet these financial requirements that you cannot afford to live here. Living on a tight budget is not my idea of a pleasant retirement. You certainly don't need to be wealthy.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 17, 2019, 1:37 pm

glalt wrote:
February 17, 2019, 1:35 pm
I too think that if you can't meet these financial requirements that you cannot afford to live here. Living on a tight budget is not my idea of a pleasant retirement. You certainly don't need to be wealthy.
Agree. A tight budget here means near impossible anywhere in the Western World.

Best scenario is just put 800,000 in the bank, leave it there and sleep well.
US private charity and the US government do more good for people everywhere in the world -- every year -- than any other country. God Bless America.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 17, 2019, 1:45 pm

glalt wrote:
Do you really think you need 800,000 baht to live in Thailand ?.
I know MANY people here who have know where near that income , and live a perfectly happy life. Even guys who eat western food everyday and drink often.
Of course the requirements are just that, requirements for the extension , not requirements for a happy life.
IMO not much will change other than the price of the bribe at immigration to ignore the financial requirements.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » February 17, 2019, 1:56 pm

skinner wrote:
February 17, 2019, 1:45 pm
I know MANY people here who have know where near that income
And nearly all of them are fat, bald, sour-smelling loud, obnoxious, gobshites sporting threadbare EPL jerseys, in dire need of dental care, with an IQ smaller than their shoe size.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 17, 2019, 2:01 pm

skinner wrote:
glalt wrote:
I know MANY people here who have know where near that income , and live a perfectly happy life. Even guys who eat western food everyday and drink often.
Of course the requirements are just that, requirements for the extension , not requirements for a happy life.
IMO not much will change other than the price of the bribe at immigration to ignore the financial requirements.
If you ever have a major medical emergency or some other costly problem, how would you pay for it? Living without a nest egg would be a big worry to me. Unexpected problems do happen.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

Lone Star wrote:
February 17, 2019, 1:37 pm
glalt wrote:

800,000 baht a year . Near impossible anywhere in the western world ? 20,000 pounds for a retired man ?
You live on another planet.
Ask an old bloke in Europe if 400 quid a week is enough to live on

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 17, 2019, 2:12 pm

glalt wrote:
February 17, 2019, 2:01 pm
skinner wrote:
glalt wrote:
If you ever have a major medical emergency or some other costly problem, how would you pay for it? Living without a nest egg would be a big worry to me. Unexpected problems do happen.
If you worry you should have insurance. Having a nest egg is a good thing , but does it need to be tied up in a Thai bank account ?
Personally i think 800,000 for a single man is way over the top .A man with a family is required to have 400,000 . Where is the logic when the family man has more responsibilities?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

skinner wrote:
February 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
Lone Star wrote:
February 17, 2019, 1:37 pm
glalt wrote:

800,000 baht a year . Near impossible anywhere in the western world ? 20,000 pounds for a retired man ?
You live on another planet.
Ask an old bloke in Europe if 400 quid a week is enough to live on
I find it unusual that a man works all his life and has no savings? Hope for the best but plan for the worst. If you have no savings, you shouldn't be considering retiring and living in a foreign country. No way do I spend 800,000 baht a year but I do have the necessary nest egg.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”