Baht Strengthening Again

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Baht Strengthening Again

Post by LoneTraveler » January 16, 2019, 2:43 pm

I hope someone can give me a clear economic reason why the Baht is heading downward again. It takes a longer time to depreciate then appreciate, at least that is the way I see it. It is so frustrating because it mostly happens at the beginning and end of the month when funds are transferred into my account from outside the country. It appears the Thai Baht is very resilient in terms of recovering quickly in difficult time. I just do not understand why. Thank you in advance.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Baht Strengthening Again

Post by 747man » January 16, 2019, 5:00 pm

I've Heard that the BOT Are buying Millions of US$ Daily.....How True I Do Not Know...

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 16, 2019, 5:44 pm

The US Dollar is in the gutter
One reason is to make their products cheaper than their competitors therefore more US jobs

I am not an economist nor do I want to be, if they were right all the time they would be the Billionares and they are not, therefore I take their leads with a pinch of salt

I know this doesnt help its just an opinion

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 16, 2019, 6:38 pm

Hmm, I get a transfer on the 3rd unless a weekend. What I notice and happy about is that the dollar seems to be going up at that time. Not much help, but also forgot your question.

Just be happy it is above 30, for I expect by 2020 will be lucky to get 20, but that's just me.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 16, 2019, 8:22 pm

Over one baht down in a little over a week as to the USD

or 3.25%

A big number when services and goods are going up in price here

Hold on for the RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natas

Post by Natas » January 16, 2019, 8:54 pm

Gandalf: "It's the deep breath before the plunge."

Twixies
udonmap.com

Post by Twixies » January 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 16, 2019, 5:44 pm
The US Dollar is in the gutter
One reason is to make their products cheaper than their competitors therefore more US jobs

I am not an economist nor do I want to be, if they were right all the time they would be the Billionares and they are not, therefore I take their leads with a pinch of salt

I know this doesnt help its just an opinion
I dont believe that. The last week the Dollar index has been very stable, but yesterday the thai baht gets about 1% stronger. The Kbank was quoting:
The local currency rose to 31.74 against the greenback, an eight-month high, as of Wednesday's press time, according to Krungthai Bank. The baht's year-to-date appreciation is 2.64%, making it the best-performing in Asia

Today USD/THB 31.56 as the highest.

My currency Danish Kr. DKK has lost this year about 8.25% and had not been so low since august 2000.

Link https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ne ... baht-in-q1

Twixies
udonmap.com

Post by Twixies » January 17, 2019, 12:32 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:
January 16, 2019, 2:43 pm
I hope someone can give me a clear economic reason why the Baht is heading downward again. It takes a longer time to depreciate then appreciate, at least that is the way I see it. It is so frustrating because it mostly happens at the beginning and end of the month when funds are transferred into my account from outside the country. It appears the Thai Baht is very resilient in terms of recovering quickly in difficult time. I just do not understand why. Thank you in advance.
It does the same for me. Every time the transfer is going to happened, somehow the baht gets stronger :mad:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 17, 2019, 12:58 pm

Twixies wrote:
January 17, 2019, 12:32 pm
LoneTraveler wrote:
It does the same for me. Every time the transfer is going to happened, somehow the baht gets stronger :mad:
Same Same Here Mate.....

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 17, 2019, 5:07 pm

Here is a chart for the past year
Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 17.05.18.png

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 18, 2019, 2:17 am

Twixies wrote:
January 17, 2019, 12:32 pm
LoneTraveler wrote:

If possible, based on personal economic situation, maybe change the transfer date from beginning/end of month to maybe the 10th or 20th of the month.

maxeboy
udonmap.com

Post by maxeboy » January 18, 2019, 8:17 am

Since I came here to Udon I have had a FCD Foreign Currency Deposit with Krungsri Bank.

It is held in Danish Kroner and I was issued an ATM card to this account.

Transfer in Danish Kroner to account and withdraw from ATM in Thai Baht.

Rate of exchange is TT rate which is available on a daily basis from Krungsri homepage.

Simple and effective and U determine when U will cash in from ATM.

Kind regards from

maxeboy.
GreatDane born free taxed into slavery

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » January 22, 2019, 9:59 am

Anyone got any ideas if elections are delayed what will happen to baht ?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 22, 2019, 10:01 am

vidmaster wrote:
January 22, 2019, 9:59 am
Probably Go Up Again......This is Thailand..... :shock: :shock:

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 22, 2019, 10:04 am

vidmaster wrote:
Probably not much unless massive demonstrations were to happen because of the delay, which is very unlikely

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Stantheman wrote:
January 22, 2019, 10:04 am
vidmaster wrote:
Probably not much unless massive demonstrations were to happen because of the delay, which is very unlikely
Airport takeovers, coups, tsunamis, death of significant fellows, coups, major demonstrations.....I don't recall any having noticeable effect on exchange rates. Now, if the Thaitanic we're to make a second appearance, happy days would be here again for many expats. But as the song goes........in my dreams.

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » January 22, 2019, 1:34 pm

My point exactly, a very resilient Baht through the bad times and I do not understand why!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”