Marriage Visa

General Udon Thani topics only!
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Marriage Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2019, 11:09 am

glalt wrote:
January 11, 2019, 10:12 am
Concerning the visa based on marriage, I first applied in Loei immigration. The officer there tried his best to discourage me from going that route. He told me that would require a lot of paperwork and that I would have to supply pictures of us together, our clothes closet and a map to our house. An immigration officer would then come to question the village chief and neighbors and also inspect our house to make sure that we did live together there. I would also have to make a number of trips to the immigration office which is a two hundred kilometer round trip. Even after all that, it isn't a sure thing that it would be approved because Bangkok immigration would have to give the final approval. I then decided that the visa based on retirement with the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.was indeed the easiest way to go. It's entirely possible that the officer tried to over complicate the process to discourage me.
He certainly did over complicate the process to discourage you, I have never heard of the approval being refused, very occasionally additional documents yes, refusal of a genuine marriage no. For sure the retirement is faster and preferred by some offices as it's much less work for them.
The number of trips should be 2, 1 to apply the second to collect the extension, they could make it 3 by submitting it late making a 3rd trip needed.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Wide Awake
udonmap.com

Post by Wide Awake » January 11, 2019, 2:36 pm

Hi, I have been married here in Thailand over 8 yrs now. may be looking at a divorce soon and am wondering , can you just do the Thai marriage cerimony at the local Ompur and will this be accepted for the marriage Visa, instead of having to go though your home country and all the paper work, like I did in the beginning? Thanks for any help.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 11, 2019, 5:15 pm

Wide Awake wrote:
January 11, 2019, 2:36 pm
Hi, I have been married here in Thailand over 8 yrs now. may be looking at a divorce soon and am wondering , can you just do the Thai marriage cerimony at the local Ompur and will this be accepted for the marriage Visa, instead of having to go though your home country and all the paper work, like I did in the beginning? Thanks for any help.
Wide Awake, it has to be a legal marriage complete with a Freedom To Marry Affidavit and Affidavit of Acknowledgment of Final Divorce from your embassy, Marriage Registration at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok and a proper Marriage Certificate from the Amphur. Immigration will ask you for the Marriage Registration and Marriage Certificate when you go for your extension of stay.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2019, 8:27 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
January 11, 2019, 5:15 pm
Wide Awake wrote:
Wide Awake, it has to be a legal marriage complete with a Freedom To Marry Affidavit and Affidavit of Acknowledgment of Final Divorce from your embassy, Marriage Registration at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok and a proper Marriage Certificate from the Amphur. Immigration will ask you for the Marriage Registration and Marriage Certificate when you go for your extension of stay.
First step is a fully legal divorce, depending on where you can get divorced has an enormous effect on the documents needed to re-marry
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 11, 2019, 11:01 pm

Wide Awake wrote:
If you meet the requirements, this is another good reason to go with the visa based on retirement. A divorce opens up a new can of worms.

Wide Awake
udonmap.com

Post by Wide Awake » January 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Thanks Guys..It gets very burdensome having to do all this paperwork over and over again, every years, making it "Legal", and knowing if your money got funny in the bank, or your paperwork had an error, you could be "kicked out"? I married a Thai lady who I met in the US in a Thai resturant, years ago. Found out she had over-stayed her Visa..had to pay to get that fixed. But after she got her Green card, and we got "legally" married, she didn't have to jump through any hoops, like we have to. Something needs to change here. If I had the money, I'd just go back to the Retirement visa and stop doing all this paper shuffleing.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 12, 2019, 8:23 am

Wide Awake wrote:
January 11, 2019, 11:07 pm
Thanks Guys..It gets very burdensome having to do all this paperwork over and over again, every years, making it "Legal", and knowing if your money got funny in the bank, or your paperwork had an error, you could be "kicked out"? I married a Thai lady who I met in the US in a Thai resturant, years ago. Found out she had over-stayed her Visa..had to pay to get that fixed. But after she got her Green card, and we got "legally" married, she didn't have to jump through any hoops, like we have to. Something needs to change here. If I had the money, I'd just go back to the Retirement visa and stop doing all this paper shuffleing.
Wideawake, no hoops if you become a Citizen of Thailand since they don't have a Green Card option

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 12, 2019, 1:51 pm

The only time US green card holders must notify US Immigration, throughout the 10-year validity of their legal residence, is if they change address.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » January 16, 2019, 3:05 pm

As an Australian citizen my 'mr fixit''who has been very good has the advice, I suspect it will be similar for other nationalities.

1. Have an appropriate Visa upon entering Thailand, a visitors visa is not acceptable.
2. Have 400,000 THB in an account for 6 months (there are variations such as proof of income, but I do not have these details)
3. Get a certificate of being free to marry from your embassy and show divorce papers etc if this is your circumstances.
4. Have all documentation translated into Thai.
5. Lodge the documentation via the local Ampure to go to Dept of Interior.
6. Once all is approved, go to the Ampure with witnesses, proof of residency and the local Headman and have the marriage conducted.

In my case, I have been using a local guy who has been excellent so far in getting license, bank account etc. Hos fee is 5,000 for marriage. If you want his contact details, please send me a PM and I will provide number.
I am independently poor

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 17, 2019, 8:20 pm

Essex wrote:
January 16, 2019, 3:05 pm
As an Australian citizen my 'mr fixit''who has been very good has the advice, I suspect it will be similar for other nationalities.

1. Have an appropriate Visa upon entering Thailand, a visitors visa is not acceptable.
2. Have 400,000 THB in an account for 6 months (there are variations such as proof of income, but I do not have these details)
3. Get a certificate of being free to marry from your embassy and show divorce papers etc if this is your circumstances.
4. Have all documentation translated into Thai.
5. Lodge the documentation via the local Ampure to go to Dept of Interior.
6. Once all is approved, go to the Ampure with witnesses, proof of residency and the local Headman and have the marriage conducted.

In my case, I have been using a local guy who has been excellent so far in getting license, bank account etc. Hos fee is 5,000 for marriage. If you want his contact details, please send me a PM and I will provide number.
I think that list has a number of inaccuracies.

1. You can get married on any visa. Obviously you need to already be married to get a visa on grounds of marriage to a Thai, or an extension to that visa.
2. You only need 400,000 baht for an extension to a marriage visa. Money needs to be in bank for 2-3 months, not six months.
3. Correct. (Need to go to Embassy in person)
4. Correct.
5. Have to get documents validated in Bangkok by the Thai Department of Consular Affairs, MFA. Not usually done by Amphoe. When you get documents back, go to Amphoe.
6. Procedure may vary from Amphoe to Amphoe. Ijust needed wife, her documents, my passport and the validated documents from Bangkok.

Was your 5,000 baht fee including paying the Australian embassy, translation etc.? Once you have the docs rest is easy.

Once you have the marriage certificate, can then get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate. There may be different requirements at different places, but some do not need to see money in the bank or income.

When you have a marriage visa, you can either apply for a new one (out of country) when it expires, or extend within Thailand (the extension is when you need the 400,000, and a lot of other documents).

Obviously, as with most interactions with government officials in Thailand, your experience may differ!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”