Big C shrinking?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Big C shrinking?

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 7, 2018, 4:16 pm

Big C defo shrinking .... im seeing lots of MINI Big Cs around now .

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » October 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

tamada wrote:
October 7, 2018, 3:44 pm
dragonz wrote:
October 6, 2018, 5:48 pm

Why do you fell the need to slag me off over an innocent post ?
Dont give up my day job
I cannot afford to shop in big c
I need glasses
Whining farang
my post WAS about my observations and not wikileaks
It has fazed the locals as i was in there a few days ago about 10 people in the shop 2 checkouts open with no customers.
You are telling lies as in 11 yrs going to tesco i have never once seen a thai doing a weekly shop with a full trolley and never seen any thai with 2 trollies except businesses buying . My local market and shop prob have more customers than tesco . I was in big c today. Car park full shops downstairs and outside busy , food court very busy . Inside big c empty
'cos you're posting nonsense.

I haven't time to take pictures of Thai's doing the family shopping either but last Friday, I got stuck behind a 2-carter at Tops under Central and they wandered off and got some more stuff while it was being rung up... and then they used a gold card to pay.

Look, you've confessed that your blind and broke but then say you go to Tesco and Big C... which is it?

PS. Don't answer that. I don't care.
Hi mr snowflake . what you mean is i am posting something you disagree with so rather than debate you have to use the leftie system of slag off anyone who does not agree with you I was also stuck behind someone in tesco who had 2 trollies a few weeks ago and also paid with a gold card . 2 trollies full of carrots and none left in the shop to buy. I actually took some off her trolley to buy and she got upset .Also somebody with about 300 packets of red mountain coffee and somebody with about 200 bottles of coca cola . They are not families doing a weekly shop .
I have been shopping in supermarkets since about 21 so i estimate 2,000+ visits in uk and 11 yrs in thai about a 1000 , In a 1000 visits i have never seen a thai without a farang fill a trolly with a weekly shop.
Do not call peopl;e names you would not call them to their face as if you called me them names to my face a glasgow kiss would be very quickly forthcoming

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 7, 2018, 8:43 pm

dragonz wrote:
October 7, 2018, 5:23 pm

Hi mr snowflake . what you mean is i am posting something you disagree with so rather than debate you have to use the leftie system of slag off anyone who does not agree with you I was also stuck behind someone in tesco who had 2 trollies a few weeks ago and also paid with a gold card . 2 trollies full of carrots and none left in the shop to buy. I actually took some off her trolley to buy and she got upset .Also somebody with about 300 packets of red mountain coffee and somebody with about 200 bottles of coca cola . They are not families doing a weekly shop .
I have been shopping in supermarkets since about 21 so i estimate 2,000+ visits in uk and 11 yrs in thai about a 1000 , In a 1000 visits i have never seen a thai without a farang fill a trolly with a weekly shop.
Do not call peopl;e names you would not call them to their face as if you called me them names to my face a glasgow kiss would be very quickly forthcoming
Leftie what now?

What's to debate? Your'e the self-proclaimed expert on the total irrelevancy of shoppers in Tesco's in bits of Wales and England but you are simply clueless in Udon with the possible exception of a penchant to get pissed-off at Tesco-Lotus (again and again).

Here's a clue... try another bloody supermarket.

Otherwise, awa an' bile yer heid ye bletherin' skyte. Glesgie kiss ma ersh. If you even tried to touch my carrots at the check out, I'd get my Dad on you.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 7, 2018, 8:47 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 7, 2018, 4:16 pm
Big C defo shrinking .... im seeing lots of MINI Big Cs around now .
Them and Tesco-Lotus Express as well. Saves the trek into town but you cannot beat the weekends for the THAI FAMILY shoppers schlepp-schlepping around Big C and Tesco with their elbows on their carts and sucking up all that cool air.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 9, 2018, 7:43 pm

Years ago there was not a surfeit of western Food available, the only place was Tops upstairs in the Old Complex, then lo and behold, Tescos came and Big C expanded it offerings. We also had a couple of other Superstores open and then closed or were took over. Nowadays there is far more western Food type food available for even Thai shoppers, who I gather are slowly changing their food habits. So the requirement to have large Aisles with just Western /Imported food stuffs in is no longer viable. Most of which to my mind is speciality foods which I am sure about 90% of us never buy .

Big C is not shrinking just moving items around to suit their clientele.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 10, 2018, 6:37 am

strangely i do not really care about western food ,as in imported goods , my western food i can cook myself without any needs of special imported ingredients , i also do not miss them ,so i have no idea if the western food areas in shops are shrinking ,as i rarely visit them ,villa market , tops ? not interested..,even big c ,lotus ? 2 time a year? i am not willing throwing my money away on these exuberant priced products in these shops ,and i am also not here to support the thai government (abnormal taxes) :D ,the only exception on this are sometimes some foreign beers.... we mostly shop in makro and many local markets for fresh products ...this is all off course according to our own preferences what will be different for every person , not everyone is able to change or adapt to other things that he is not used too , my preferences and needs have changed a lot after staying here almost 18 years , even my way of thinking ...
and again about taste our preferences we can not argue and i surely not condemn someone because he is thinking different than me....but i accept it is his way not mine ....we are all different ....enjoy your food ... ;)
(and i eat every week ,paanin pow ,somtam with paadeik/palaa, without it is bo seib... :lol: )

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 10, 2018, 4:22 pm

Pop into BigC on the eastern ring road about once a week, but usually to just buy a few discount items or sugar and oil for the shop as usually cheaper there. At weekends, really busy after 11 am. Weekdays not so much but still probably a 100 customers in store. About 50% of customers have more than half a trolley full, we not so much because most shopping done at Makro (wife's business and family). Tesco went downhill as a shopping location about 2 years ago, only the special offers are worthwhile. About the only things i buy regularly there are one type of bread and tesco finest teabags....

Although some farang foods have declined in stock, others have increased - particularly cheese. The price of some imported foods are ridiculous, farang getting more savvy and you can find Thai alternatives. No alternative to cheese!

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » November 22, 2018, 3:29 pm

I really need to retract my initial statement about "shrinking" as each week goes by I believe their product range is increasing with a much better lay out maybe given a couple of more weeks of searching at times will be a better place to shop than before.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

It does sound like what started with the 'disappearance' of the imports aisle (eventually rediscovered at a new location), this branch does seem to be having a major makeover which includes the improved layout. Obviously they didn't retain the same clown circus that did the (north) Tesco-Lotus remake-remodel last year. Looking forward to checking it out when I get back from work.

Actually, I'm looking forward to a shag and a cold beer first. Big C can wait a wee bit.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 23, 2018, 3:16 pm

tamada wrote:
November 22, 2018, 4:08 pm

Actually, I'm looking forward to a shag and a cold beer first. Big C can wait a wee bit.
Nice , but i wouldnt let the Mrs find out if i was you . Luckily im not . :roll:

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 25, 2018, 5:39 pm

tamada wrote:
It does sound like what started with the 'disappearance' of the imports aisle (eventually rediscovered at a new location), this branch does seem to be having a major makeover which includes the improved layout. Obviously they didn't retain the same clown circus that did the (north) Tesco-Lotus remake-remodel last year. Looking forward to checking it out when I get back from work.

not really understand why i get so much stick . do not see the same as the rest of you /. Went to tesco , empty , went to gnee soon on the nog bua road , full went to big c on the bua road on the way back this week . only me in there . Where are these thai shoppers with full trollies except for businesses . I SEE NONE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Capturesws.JPG
Capture.JPG

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 25, 2018, 7:25 pm

dragonz wrote:
November 25, 2018, 5:39 pm
tamada wrote:

not really understand why i get so much stick . do not see the same as the rest of you /. Went to tesco , empty , went to gnee soon on the nog bua road , full went to big c on the bua road on the way back this week . only me in there . Where are these thai shoppers with full trollies except for businesses . I SEE NONE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh hi. You're back.

Well, if you want to continue this debate and really want to understand whats happening, you are the only one here calling other people liars because they have a different opinion or don't 'see the same' as you... whatever that is. But I digress.

As for posting pictures of an empty supermarket as evidence of some fanciful claim that they are like this 24/7, if you insist on stalking the aisles of Tesco and Big C over in that edge-of-the-known-universe backwater called Nadee, if only for the sake of accuracy and relevance, at least tell us what time of the morning or night that was as well as the day of the week. Ngee Soon is a totally different bulk retail style of business BTW, a bit like Makro across on the much busier, cosmopolitan side of town where the nearby Big C is nearly always rammed, sometimes with double-trolley locals. Mind you they're all pretty dead at 9 AM.

With your penchant to frequently travel the 'nog bua' road, you're not one of those odd-balls that lives out NWS or NBL way are you?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 25, 2018, 9:25 pm

Tam

not worth the effort Dragonz seems to have a problem with everything especially ads. I have never seen big c or tesco this empty but then again not going to wait hours to take the perfect picture! I have seen many thais fill their trolleys up full and been stuck behind them in them at the tills! but each to their own

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 25, 2018, 9:42 pm

A number of reasons for People to NOT SHOW UP

1) Its the end of the month and no cash available
2) La Katong just finished and no cash available
3) Recession (I believe) is started loads of factors

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » November 26, 2018, 12:27 am

also , perhaps a related factor , there has been an
absolute " explosion" of minibigC outlets lotus mini
shops and 7-11s in udon city. must be near (100)

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » November 27, 2018, 9:33 am

dunroaming wrote:
November 25, 2018, 9:25 pm
Tam

not worth the effort Dragonz seems to have a problem with everything especially ads. I have never seen big c or tesco this empty but then again not going to wait hours to take the perfect picture! I have seen many thais fill their trolleys up full and been stuck behind them in them at the tills! but each to their own
Having nearly been scammed on here by 2 ads , both registering first time to sell something i do have a problem with people who register just to sell something then post a vague suspicious ad with little info.
Why do you all like to gang up ? You really think i spend all day in supermarkets waiting for it to empty to take photos . You are a bit rude and nasty to anyone not in your clique
This was last tuesday (20th)at 11.30am . Middle of the day . What i have not seen from rest of you is a photo of a packed supermarket with thais with full trollies .
Mech is right about the small stores . That day on the way home i stopped at 7/11 just outside udon on the nong khai road . About 20 customers , more than tesco and big c and these change over every few minutes . I would say a busy 7/11 or tesco express will take more money on the items they sell than a supermarket .
I now go to makro but sometimes i will pop down to the tesco express a few kms away for a few extras i need . I only went to tesco nadee for flora margarine and tea bags . stocked up no ned any for 3 months

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 27, 2018, 9:32 pm

Rude and nasty now that's calling the kettle black! I am not part of any click but I do take offence when someone hurts other parties ads. So u nearly got scammed so what if u can't buy something properly don't buy it your eyes are your merchant it's really up to you but don't slag off every ad like they are out to scam u this is a condition you need to address nearest hospital will give u best advice on paranoid obsessive behaviour

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 5, 2018, 7:32 am

OK, back in Udon after 2 months out of the loop and after a family weekend away, I checked out the 'shrinkage' at Big C east.

New, brighter floor coverings, fresh lick of paint everywhere and upgraded lighting and that was all on the ground floor. Upstairs, the new open plan layout greatly enabled by new, low-rise shelving and new, low-rise coolers makes the place look bigger. The thoughtful planning and relocation of everything from imported food (still the same size and selection as before) to the bakery to the toy aisles plus the new lighting makes it look and feel like a new supermarket.

I was impressed with the 'no plastic' day and the cashier running to get me a cart for my red basket full. I also hit Tesco-Lotus UD Town looking for Mrs tam's favorite 3-in-1 coffee and they too had a 'no plastic' day but no alternatives offered. Tesco-Lotus north were a bit more in-tune and did have paper sacks available. However, Tesco-Lotus still has those abysmally small, green, back-lit LCD displays at the check out.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”