Learning thai language

General Udon Thani topics only!
Hamma
udonmap.com

Learning thai language

Post by Hamma » November 17, 2018, 10:21 pm

I am rather new in Udon and would like to learn the language. I cannot find a school where I can learn it in a classroom. Since I have a background in learning a new language as a second language I know about the importance of the communicative part of it compared to a one to one learning situation. Not to speak of a totally different price.
There are no classes in Udon where to learn thai language, but American Language School at Nong Prajak is eager to start a class if we are a group.
Are there others than me interested in learning thai in an informal but serious atmosphere? Kontakt here please.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Learning thai language

Post by parrot » November 18, 2018, 11:29 am

I tried an AUA course......had about 10 students, but each had a different idea about what they wanted to learn. I needed a teacher with a rattan cane.
I lucked out and found that the pharmacist in our village wanted to expand her English.......her mother was a Thai language teacher who taught her the mechanics of Thai. We did 2 hours x twice a week....one hour of English, one hour of Thai. I didn't give her a rattan stick, but when I sensed she was being easy on me, I let her know I disapproved.
I can't imagine learning tones in a classroom setting. Even one-on-one was extremely difficult.......but I battled through it. It's worth the effort.
There's a ton of materials available on-line....free.....pdf's/mp3's....that you can use to supplement your lessons with a teacher.
Good luck!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”