Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by stattointhailand » October 31, 2018, 2:42 pm

"The good news, at least thus far, is that the construction appears to be much more professional than that done on the bridge by Big C."

Yes I was thinking that the other day (not) as I watched 2 guys with a very long bending pole and a block of wood attached putting the finishing touches to the concrete road surface :lol:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 8, 2018, 9:55 am

It's a bit long into the project, but I finally found what I guess counts as the site office. It's a little bit up the road from directly opposite Do Home on the Nong Khai road. There's a construction place first, messy with big trucks in, then a bit further on an a small, gated entrance to a secluded area, where there are various houses and one being used as an office.
Anyway, spoke to the site manager?, pleasant guy with good English, plans scattered all over his desk. He appeared to take on board my comments about fairly regular use of a mechanical roadsweeper, to actually pick up the dirt/dust, might prove preferable to spraying water and turning the road into a sea of mud, which dries out the same as it was before! He offered that he had asked his company previously to buy one! I said I had seen one in Udon, presumably used by the Tessabaan - he might speak to a friend contact he has there.
I also said that I'd read something about a recent meeting mentioning making things better for drivers. I suggested there were several things which might be improved if they looked at it "from a driver's seat". I'm pleased, at least, that another reorganisation of the barrier placement, means that two lanes are now maintained near to the actual junction for cars from NK way wanting to go straight over. For several months, it seems, the lanes unnecessarily shrunk to about 1 1/2, because dividing barriers had been placed a few metres more forward than actually required.
He confirmed about another year to project completion.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 8, 2018, 10:34 am

Considering that this is the main route from one capital to another , and the sheer volume of commercial traffic that uses that road , i think its utterly shambollick. Feel sorry for you guys that have to use it on a daily basis , and the poor bastards that are trying to run businesses there . I was on it a few days ago , It was mud , dirt , and dust everywhere .
The truck trailers struggle to make the U turns . Theres no real signage of any sort , and the signs that are there are covered in filth , so you cant read them . On a good note , the new concrete is at least 200 mil thick with decent size rebar , but its anyones guess how much cement is in that concrete !!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 8, 2018, 4:55 pm

the outer ring road's been in the plans for a number of years.. If that was done the traffic issues on the inner ring road would be cut markedly since most of the large truck traffic heading up to Laos use it...
Dave

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » November 9, 2018, 11:23 am

saint wrote:
November 8, 2018, 10:34 am
Considering that this is the main route from one capital to another , and the sheer volume of commercial traffic that uses that road , i think its utterly shambollick. Feel sorry for you guys that have to use it on a daily basis , and the poor bastards that are trying to run businesses there . I was on it a few days ago , It was mud , dirt , and dust everywhere .
The truck trailers struggle to make the U turns . Theres no real signage of any sort , and the signs that are there are covered in filth , so you cant read them . On a good note , the new concrete is at least 200 mil thick with decent size rebar , but its anyones guess how much cement is in that concrete !!!
Last night, I had to drop a passenger off at No. 2 Bus Ststion, what a disgraceful shambles it is, absolutely disgusting, they are showing no regard for drivers. Signage, as said above, is little or non-existent, lighting is required at a number of spots, mud everywhere. I am lucky in as much as I know the road layout well, however, an out of towner would become completely lost. On the plus side, they were protecting their night workers well, with lots of safety personnel with lights.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 10, 2018, 4:39 pm

stereolab wrote:
November 9, 2018, 11:23 am

Last night, I had to drop a passenger off at No. 2 Bus Ststion, what a disgraceful shambles it is, absolutely disgusting, they are showing no regard for drivers. Signage, as said above, is little or non-existent, lighting is required at a number of spots, mud everywhere. I am lucky in as much as I know the road layout well, however, an out of towner would become completely lost. On the plus side, they were protecting their night workers well, with lots of safety personnel with lights.
Where's the #2 bus station BTW?

I thought #1 bus station was the one shoehorned into a back street opposite Fuzzy ken's and #2 bus station was out on the west ring road, a bit north of Chris's Place.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 10, 2018, 4:43 pm

No 2 us station is opposite the road licence office beside where they sell lots of fruit trees and beside the old Tesco. Only usually see mini vans using it

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 10, 2018, 5:31 pm

dunroaming wrote:
November 10, 2018, 4:43 pm
No 2 us station is opposite the road licence office beside where they sell lots of fruit trees and beside the old Tesco. Only usually see mini vans using it
I believe you'll find that one is termed No 3 - have a look at an actual Udon map - and No 2 is as Tamada indicated.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 10, 2018, 10:25 pm

ah okay sorry my mistake if I ever need to chance my life and take a bus will know where to go. Took the wives friend there a few months ago but was held up in traffic lucky for her as bus she should have taken was involved in fatalities

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 11, 2018, 4:47 am

Drifting off topic here, but I doubt the local transport drivers know the bus stations by their numbers. I suggested a friend make his own way up to Phen and he took car from his hotel, a lady driver, I think 'someone they knew'. He had a tour of Udon, airport, bus station (Fuzzy Kens), the ring road one, before finally reaching the Tesco's one. It would have been quicker to walk it.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 11, 2018, 6:12 am

tamada wrote:
November 10, 2018, 4:39 pm

I thought #1 bus station was the one shoehorned into a back street opposite Fuzzy ken's and #2 bus station was out on the west ring road, a bit north of Chris's Place.
[/quote]
There you go . Ive made it easy for you ...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 11, 2018, 8:01 pm

saint wrote:
November 11, 2018, 6:12 am
tamada wrote:
November 10, 2018, 4:39 pm

There you go . Ive made it easy for you ...
No, not really. But Brian Davis has already confirmed what I thought was the case.

But thanks anyway.

PS. Correction of post attribution provided free of charge.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

video update on the overpass/tunnel with some good aerial shots of the current construction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM7Pl1o ... XrP5KbsC3k
Dave

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 27, 2018, 4:53 pm

Good vid, thanks for that. :)
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 24, 2019, 5:15 pm

The good news on the overpass is that 2 years in, construction seems to be moving steadily along. Will they finish the project by 1 September 2019?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 24, 2019, 8:46 pm

parrot wrote:
April 24, 2019, 5:15 pm
The good news on the overpass is that 2 years in, construction seems to be moving steadily along. Will they finish the project by 1 September 2019?
Quite possibly , but it will then take until 2022 to put all the "unforeseen errors" right

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 25, 2019, 9:52 am

parrot wrote:
April 24, 2019, 5:15 pm
Witnessing the progress each time I return from my frequent top secret missions overseas, they seem to have some sort of bit between their teeth so they may manage it. The only thing that I think may bite their arses is an unseasonably early and wet rainy season, that may queer the pitch. I can't view the YouTube as I am currently on another top-secret mission and using tin cans and string for comms but if the tunnel bit is mostly done, then the workers will all have a place to hide when it does piss down.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Untill it floods . TIT.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 25, 2019, 11:00 am

saint wrote:
April 25, 2019, 10:16 am
Untill it floods . TIT.
Doh, I thought that was the whole idea .......... all the water goes down the hole and the traffic gets to use the newly replaced traffic lights at the junction :-k

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2019, 12:13 pm

Oh, ye of little faith. Be thankful the project hasn't (yet) turned into a St. Mary's/Big C overpass fiasco. The construction actually appears to be top notch......at least as far as Udon is concerned.

Return to “Udon Thani News”