Why I shall not wear a poppy

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
caducus
udonmap.com

Why I shall not wear a poppy

Post by caducus » November 8, 2018, 4:22 pm

My father fought in the First World War. He was silent on the horrors that he must have experienced. And when a colleague suggested that they go to a performance of, “Oh! What a Lovely War”, he declared that he had already been there, it was not lovely, and did not wish to be reminded.
In the first few months of the conflict it was commonly thought that the troops would, “All be home by Christmas”, but that was not to be, and within a few more months it had become, “The War to End all Wars.” So how come it did not live up to the latter name. I feel the blame lies with the politicians, the industrialists, and the generals. The ordinary fighting men have a limited choice. A few are able to attain fame as a boxer, a footballer, or a rock-star. The rest must choose between a life of crime or the military.
In 2013, Harry Leslie Smith, who was then a mere 91 years old felt compelled to speak out about the travesty of the Armistice Day Parade.
Still, this year I shall wear the poppy as I have done for many years. I wear it because I am from that last generation who remember a war that encompassed the entire world. I wear the poppy because I can recall when Britain was actually threatened with a real invasion and how its citizens stood at the ready to defend her shores. But most importantly, I wear the poppy to commemorate those of my childhood friends and comrades who did not survive the Second World War and those who came home physically and emotionally wounded from horrific battles that no poet or journalist could describe.
However, I am afraid it will be the last time that I will bear witness to those soldiers, airmen and sailors who are no more, at my local cenotaph. From now on, I will lament their passing in private because my despair is for those who live in this present world. I will no longer allow my obligation as a veteran to remember those who died in the great wars to be co-opted by current or former politicians to justify our folly in Iraq, our morally dubious war on terror and our elimination of one's right to privacy.
I am sure that my father would have agreed with Harry Leslie Smith.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil’s sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, butter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, -
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Re: Why I shall not wear a poppy

Post by Faraday » November 8, 2018, 7:19 pm

Interesting post, thank you.

Read this in The Guardian, quite a sad story.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... his-family

Giggle
udonmap.com

Cambridge students reject Remembrance Day as ‘imperialist propaganda’

Post by Giggle » November 8, 2018, 7:36 pm

12 Oct 2018

"Cambridge University was embroiled in controversy today after students rejected moves to support the honouring of Britain’s war veterans on Remembrance Day. A motion to encourage students to commemorate military veterans on the centenary of the end of the WW1 were rejected during a heated debate. The suggestion in a motion debated by the university students’ union council was described by some objectors as ‘imperialist propaganda’.

The row came after Cambridge University Conservative Association (CUCA) had proposed a motion to the students’ union council (CUSU). The motion proposed that the council should ‘encourage the commemoration of British war veterans on Remembrance Day across the University of Cambridge’.

It proposed that the council ‘encourage the commemoration of those whose lives have been affected by war across the University of Cambridge’. Timur Coskun, chairman of CUCA, said: ‘We think this is ridiculous. All we wanted to do was raise money for veterans. It’s such a shame that you don’t see many students wearing poppies around Remembrance Day.

Britain's best and brightest reject it. Prolly a different reaction at Sandhurst.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/12/cambridg ... a-8030829/
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Natas

Post by Natas » November 8, 2018, 11:47 pm

They should be conscripted into service and put into a hot zone immediatly..

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Re: Cambridge students reject Remembrance Day as ‘imperialist propaganda’

Post by jai yen yen » November 9, 2018, 12:00 am

Giggle wrote:
November 8, 2018, 7:36 pm
12 Oct 2018

"Cambridge University was embroiled in controversy today after students rejected moves to support the honouring of Britain’s war veterans on Remembrance Day. A motion to encourage students to commemorate military veterans on the centenary of the end of the WW1 were rejected during a heated debate. The suggestion in a motion debated by the university students’ union council was described by some objectors as ‘imperialist propaganda’.

The row came after Cambridge University Conservative Association (CUCA) had proposed a motion to the students’ union council (CUSU). The motion proposed that the council should ‘encourage the commemoration of British war veterans on Remembrance Day across the University of Cambridge’.

It proposed that the council ‘encourage the commemoration of those whose lives have been affected by war across the University of Cambridge’. Timur Coskun, chairman of CUCA, said: ‘We think this is ridiculous. All we wanted to do was raise money for veterans. It’s such a shame that you don’t see many students wearing poppies around Remembrance Day.

Britain's best and brightest reject it. Prolly a different reaction at Sandhurst.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/12/cambridg ... a-8030829/
This a sad thing.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 9, 2018, 1:03 am

Why is it sad. Some people get emotional about killing people, others take it in stride.
I spent a full career in the military, but always took it with a pinch of salt.
Get blubbery and emotional and lay wreaths if it makes you feel good.

The dead are still dead.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 9, 2018, 10:45 am

war is a very sad thing , shame we don't remember that the main casualties in war are innocent civilians, killed by soldiers and bombs . just forgotten, while we celebrate and revere those that killed them . very odd. sadly the 100 years have past and it will become a faded memory in the future
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Natas

Post by Natas » November 10, 2018, 11:09 am

Giggle wrote:
November 9, 2018, 1:03 am
Why is it sad. Some people get emotional about killing people, others take it in stride.

The dead are still dead.
Because it is out of respect for the ****** up families of the Vets who came home through various wars. Respect for the Soldiers who had to pick up pieces if their friends like my grandfather. Who also had to do cleanups... So Giggle I am guessing your career in the military was spent in an office.. Anyone I know who has been to Bosnia, Somlia, Iraq, Afganistan or actually has been shot at or had to deal with the loss of their friends there... Would never say what you said..
Reading your post and the Cambridge bull was enough..

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 10, 2018, 1:15 pm

Giggle wrote:

The dead are still dead.
Yes the dead are still dead , but their sacrifice will not , and should not be forgotten. Thats the point , its not about feeling good , its about respect . Something you appear to be not well versed in .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 10, 2018, 4:03 pm

Freedom is NOT free, we wear poppies for the purpose of remembering those many lives given to preserve our freedom. It is a sign of respect. If you don't respect the memory of those who died, that is up to you. Personally, I view you as being disrespectful.

Natas

Post by Natas » November 10, 2018, 8:08 pm

glalt wrote:
November 10, 2018, 4:03 pm
Freedom is NOT free, we wear poppies for the purpose of remembering those many lives given to preserve our freedom. It is a sign of respect. If you don't respect the memory of those who died, that is up to you. Personally, I view you as being disrespectful.
exactly.. Curious exaclty what Khun Giggles did in the military.. Seems to be alot of ex-military types in Udon who like to tell you about it.. Yet the real ones I have met do not speak of it until you ask..

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » November 11, 2018, 12:48 am

Giggle wrote:

The dead are still dead.
It is sad that the young people do not appreciate and respect the people who have given their lives fighting for their country. Right or wrong reasons for any particular war is not what I am talking about. As well it is sad because if we do not remember the past we may repeat the same events. Most wars mean many young men and women giving up their lives for questionable reasons.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » November 11, 2018, 7:29 am

In 1914 Britain went to war for the right to determine its own way, and not to be part of a greater Europe dominated by the Germans under Kaiser Willhelm.

In 1939 Britain went to war for the right to determine its own way, and not to be part of a greater Europe dominated by the Germans under Adolf Hitler.

In 2018 Britain is living in a Greater Europe, unable to determine its own way, and dominated by the Germans under Angela Merkel

It makes you wonder whether all those sacrifices were worth it ?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » November 11, 2018, 8:54 am

Couldn’t agree more Bonanza, I’m sure a lot of our old soldiers would be mortified.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 11, 2018, 9:33 am

Get real. The UK made its choices. Germany didn't get to where it is today from invading other countries. It did it because Germans are more productive than many others such as the British. They also appear to be politically and economically shrewder.

Today I personally mourn the multi-millions of civilians killed in war by soldiers. Children, women the elderly and other noncombatants. Today is a reminder that soldiers must have civilian bosses. I think the fewer soldiers in the world, the world is a better place.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 12, 2018, 4:49 am

If Trump does not respect the veterans, why should I. That's my reason for not wearing one.

Natas

Post by Natas » November 12, 2018, 7:23 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
November 12, 2018, 4:49 am
If Trump does not respect the veterans, why should I. That's my reason for not wearing one.
You are either trying to be funny or the opposite.. Some real winners here on Udon Map..

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » November 12, 2018, 7:39 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
The fact you're able to converse in English and have the opportunity to live and do as you please is due to the direct result of the ultimate sacrifice that many, mainly, young men and women made is why you should honour them by wearing a POPPY!!!

Natas

Post by Natas » November 12, 2018, 7:42 am

tataw wrote:
November 12, 2018, 7:39 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
The fact you're able to converse in English and have the opportunity to live and do as you please is due to the direct result of the ultimate sacrifice that many, mainly, young men and women made is why you should honour them by wearing a POPPY!!!
I would like to think he was just stirring the pot... I have hope in humanity here on this one. Or maybe he started to drink the well water in the village.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » November 12, 2018, 8:19 am

Then why is this thread entitled this way...is it sarcasm!!

Return to “Open Forum”