learning the thai language

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: learning the thai language

Post by parrot » November 7, 2018, 3:11 pm

My wife bought some large fish from the market and put them in one of our many large guppy tanks. A few days later, while feeding the guppies, I noticed one of the new fish floating at the surface, its mouth clearly out of the water. I told my wife one of her fish had died.......but she tapped it on the head and it went back under the water. I'd never seen a fish do such a thing.......and pronounced the fish the 'submarine fish'. My wife called it ปลาปู่.
ปลาปู่ make delicious tomyam.....but, for now, the ones my wife bought are getting a reprieve....and getting fatter....inside our guppy tank.

If you like reading Thai fairy tales.......ปลาปู่ทอง is an old-time favorite....in books and in movies.
https://www.dek-d.com/board/view/3839808/
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » November 7, 2018, 4:33 pm

We catch the ปลาปู่ (bpla bpu) in local waters fairly often. The English name is Marble Goby. Due to the Thai folk tale about the ปลาปู่ทอง (bpla pbu tong) or Golden Goby, some Thais won't eat this fish even though it is quite tasty. It is an interesting fish to catch as often you will feel or see a very slight bite and then nothing. You will think the fish is gone but when you start to reel in it will be on the hook. The coloring varies widely and once hooked it is brought in easily with hardly any resistance.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

If you want to skip your daily crossword and take a wack at finding the error in this sign (post near our home announcing work to install a traffic light), I'll give a hint:

There's something amiss with the dates.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to “Society and culture”