O-A VISA EXTEND FOR ANOTHER YEAR

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Mudguard
udonmap.com

O-A VISA EXTEND FOR ANOTHER YEAR

Post by Mudguard » October 18, 2018, 1:29 am

Can I go over LAO border at Nong Kai and back again in same day as I used to 6 years ago?

I have an Australian O-A visa I want to extend for another year and plan to go on the 1st November...

My O-A expires on 6th Nov....Any help most appreciated...Cheers.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: O-A VISA last Permission to stay stamp

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Mudguard wrote:
October 18, 2018, 1:29 am
Can I go over LAO border at Nong Kai and back again in same day as I used to 6 years ago?

I have an Australian O-A visa I want to extend for another year and plan to go on the 1st November...

My O-A expires on 6th Nov....Any help most appreciated...Cheers.
Visas can never be extended, only permissions to stay, and in your case you don't need an extension anyway.

However yes if you hop across the boarder, Nong Khai works for a day trip, before the O-A Visa expires (to be sure the 5th is the last really safe day) you will get a new 1 year permission to stay, during the new permission to stay period you will need a re-entry permit if you leave and want to keep the time on that permission to stay. Do check that you get the correct date on your new stamp before leaving Nong Khai as a correction may require you going back.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Re: O-A VISA EXTEND FOR ANOTHER YEAR

Post by Mudguard » October 18, 2018, 9:56 am

Sometimewoodworker...Thanking u very much...Cheers..Mudguard.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » October 18, 2018, 11:21 am

Mudguard, I'm pretty sure this hop across the border and reentry for a one year extension of permission to stay will only be granted at the end of the first year after entering on a new Non-Immigrant O-A Visa. Beyond the first year it won't work that way. You'll have to extend at the immigration office and show the usual proof of income and other documentations that is required.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 18, 2018, 11:44 am

semperfiguy wrote:
October 18, 2018, 11:21 am
Mudguard, I'm pretty sure this hop across the border and reentry for a one year extension of permission to stay will only be granted at the end of the first year after entering on a new Non-Immigrant O-A Visa. Beyond the first year it won't work that way. You'll have to extend at the immigration office and show the usual proof of income and other documentations that is required.
It actually works at any time before the visa expires during the Visa's 1 year valid period because it's a ME visa. Every time you enter you get a new1 year permission to stay. Naturally once the visa has expired you can no longer use it to enter.

Also you can never get an extension of permission to stay when you enter Thailand. Extensions are only give by main immigration offices inside Thailand, there are none at any border.

The point that is confusing to many people is the very important difference between a visa (it just lets you into the country [usually]) and the permission to stay that (naturally) let's you stay in Thailand.

Also the fact that the visa period and the permission to stay period are almost never the same.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Thanks members...It will be my first year with this visa..should not be any trouble...Cheers..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 18, 2018, 7:56 pm

Yep. Since the OP's currently here under the 1 year OA VISA and NOT an extension thereof, he can hop over and get a 1-year extension. Come Nov 2019, he can file for the maximum permitted 90-day extension at his local IO and be good until early Feb 2020-ish.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 18, 2018, 9:18 pm

tamada wrote:
October 18, 2018, 7:56 pm
Yep. Since the OP's currently here under the 1 year OA VISA and NOT an extension thereof, he can hop over and get a 1-year extension. Come Nov 2019, he can file for the maximum permitted 90-day extension at his local IO and be good until early Feb 2020-ish.
He will not get a 1 year extension by leaving and returning before his OA expires he will get a new 1 year permission to stay, (you can never get an extension of permission to stay when you enter Thailand)

He certainly can get a 30 day extension to the 1 year permission to stay at immigration (not 90 days, there are no 90 day extensions ) or 60 days if married to a Thai. However for exactly the same fee he can get a 1 year extension (though that will require money in the bank or proof of income or a combination of both)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
October 18, 2018, 9:18 pm
He will not get a 1 year extension by leaving and returning before his OA expires he will get a new 1 year permission to stay, (you can never get an extension of permission to stay when you enter Thailand)

He certainly can get a 30 day extension to the 1 year permission to stay at immigration (not 90 days, there are no 90 day extensions ) or 60 days if married to a Thai. However for exactly the same fee he can get a 1 year extension (though that will require money in the bank or proof of income or a combination of both)
I stand corrected on the precise semantics... and someone swapped the 3 and 9 keys on my rental keyboard! Honest!!

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » October 31, 2018, 4:19 pm

I went to Lao over bridge today n all was completed within 1.5 hours .back out in Thailand...Cheers..

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 19, 2018, 6:07 pm

went in today Wednesday 19 December to do our annual Retirement Extension (nr. 6). Arrived at the Imm. office at 0855 (it opens at 0830) and were queue number 2.. After five minutes waiting the lady called us to the desk, took our paperwork/passports and proceeded to process the extensions in a fast efficient manner.. This is the 30 something lady who seems to be in charge of the visa counter now vice the older guy who I guess retired. She was processing our extensions/multi re-entry permits as well as reviewing all other applications and initialing them.. She had her squad of college interns working at top speed.. All finished in less than 30 minutes and out the door.. No tips asked for....

BTW, after 0900 there was a flood of about a dozen folks doing things with the visa desk.. From the influx after 0900 I got the impression most folks assumed Immo opens at 0900 rather than 0830.
Dave

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

after 0900 there was a flood of about a dozen folks doing things with the visa desk....
if you do extension based on 800.000 on the bank they always have told me the bank letter should be same date as application , i was with my extension there at 9 am ,because it took 30min to get the bank letter.... ,it was very busy but was in and out in 1 hour.... ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 21, 2018, 6:03 pm

Still reckon I'll do the 3.30 PM slot.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » December 21, 2018, 6:13 pm

Did mine at about 2.30pm last time, in and out like an SAS attack.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » December 23, 2018, 6:18 am

Mudguard wrote:
October 31, 2018, 4:19 pm
I went to Lao over bridge today n all was completed within 1.5 hours .back out in Thailand...Cheers..
How about a blow by blow description of just what you actually did?
Might help others.

Mudguard
udonmap.com

Post by Mudguard » December 25, 2018, 1:27 pm

I went to Nong Khai n over the "Friendship Bridge" to Laos...I had my orig O-A Visa from Canberra...one week before it was due to end...
When u go to Laos border go to a window n get paper work...
When completed, go back to window n pay $30.00 dollars Am...Cheaper then paying in baht....
After 20 mins they call name at window around the corner from where u got paper work...
Then proceed, get stamped out of Laos n bus back to Thai border..
At Thai border Imm Off gave me an extension for another 12 months...
All done within 1.5 hours...

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » December 25, 2018, 9:06 pm

No proof of income, no medical certificate or no criminal record certificate required by Nongkai immigration???
And only cost $30!!!!
So with O-A you have to do 90 day run or was it because your existing O-A was about to expire?

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » December 25, 2018, 9:09 pm

Other than T8 Re entry before you left Thailand,and a Laos (visa?) what other documents did you need at the Laos/ Nongkai border please?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Non-OA visa second year permission to stay

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 25, 2018, 11:55 pm

vidmaster wrote:
December 25, 2018, 9:06 pm
No proof of income, no medical certificate or no criminal record certificate required by Nongkai immigration???
And only cost $30!!!!
So with O-A you have to do 90 day run or was it because your existing O-A was about to expire?
The Non-OA gives a 1 year permission to stay each time you enter Thailand and is only issued in your home county or county of residence, never Thailand.

As he said in his first post
My O-A expires on 6th Nov.
He did not visit Nongkai immigration office just exited Thailand on October 31. The $30 was for a Laos visa
vidmaster wrote:
December 25, 2018, 9:09 pm
Other than T8 Re entry before you left Thailand,and a Laos (visa?) what other documents did you need at the Laos/ Nongkai border please?

He did not have, need, or want a re-entry permit as he still had a valid visa.

At the border you need the Laos visa application form (supplied at the window or here https://www.laos-guide-999.com/support- ... l-form.pdf) 2 passport photos, your passport and either $30 to $42 or ฿1,500+ (The US$ must be clean unmarked, un damaged and current series notes)

Australia 30

Canada 42

China 20

India 40

Sweden 31

USA 35

UK 35

Others 30

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » December 26, 2018, 12:06 pm

What he is talking about is that if you exit on or before the last day of your visa and then turn right around and come back in, you are automatically stamped into Thailand with an additional year from that date, however if you exit Thailand during that year you must buy a re-entry permit or the visa "extension" is voided.
I did the same thing on my last O/A visa and "stretched" it for another year, then I bought a multiple re-entry permit. It was not as expensive as buying a new O/A visa back home and it cut off a lot of the paperwork such as the medical certification and police background check.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”