CCTV security

General Udon Thani topics only!
sgt
udonmap.com

CCTV security

Post by sgt » October 13, 2018, 11:07 am

I checked the forum for this subject and everything is about a year or more old plus mostly about do it yourself. That's not for me. Does anyone have experience, recommendation with a company that installs CCTV? I have heard the Home Pro will do but don't know about the quality.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Re: CCTV security

Post by pf-flyer » October 13, 2018, 2:32 pm

We had an 8 camera Watashi CCTV Recorder system that we purchased at Home pro to be installed by Home Pro. The installer came to our house and made several suggestions such as siamese RG-6 cable ( RG-6 Cable with two wires to power the camera ) a central power supply for the cameras. We agreed to the suggestions made by the installer. We paid him for the extra materials which he purchased at Landmark Plaza and he and two other workers did the installation the next day. We are happy with the installation and we are satisfied with the work that was done. We had to separately purchase an LCD monitor that attaches to the Watashi CCTV recorder.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 13, 2018, 4:04 pm

Questions To Ask:
1) Does the system automatically send email and/or sms upon motion detection?
2) Geckos love the heat generated by these cameras. Especially during the cold season. They WILL be
laying on top of them and dropping their tails down in front of the IR LEDS. Your cameras will become
almost useless at night. So ask the sellers how they will deal with this problem. It will cause false alarms
emailed to you, to the point where you will just ignore your emails... then what good is the system? I ended
up getting some of the black plastic cardboard project material sold at Big-C, Tesco, etc. and cut a circle
with a hole in the middle and pushing it onto the camera near the lens end. This is very effective at keeping
them from dropping their tails down over the lens. This might sound silly... but if you don't want a useless system
(at least at night), you'd better ask them about this.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 13, 2018, 5:23 pm

Interesting point no. 2. Not wanting to discredit your point but in 4 years with 12 cameras at 2 different locations I've never seen a geko on any of the cameras.

Admittedly i don't use the motion detection feature but in all the time of viewing live feed and looking at recorded footage never seen a Geko.
We do however get lots of spider webs on a few of the cameras and these need to be cleaned regularly.

My only complaint I have is about the installers wanting to use the minimum amount of cable possible. So they don't want to do a nice cable run in the ceiling. They will just pull it straight and tight using the shortest distance possible!

I will not give you the details of my installers as to be honest I'd use someone else if I did it again!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

Never had problems with lizards either but as you say, lots of spiders, I don't bother with motion detection but I do record 24 hours. My builder fitted mine for me, with my instructions so it's all fitted well and I've had no issues. My only bit of advice would be to go for the new starlight cameras, they are much better than standard ones.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 13, 2018, 5:46 pm

I have seen geko's on my camera's, along with birds, spiders, and you name it.
If you depend on motion detection and emails, you are going to be one busy chap, for just the breeze on a plant will trip.

Best thing I have to check house is not email, but an app on phone to view cameras.

Even that the posts are a year old + should not matter. I can still say that I still like my Ajhua unit. To me the unit and its software was the most important item.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 13, 2018, 6:01 pm

there was a company with a stand of cctv systems when you enter makro (atm area) today .... ;)

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 13, 2018, 7:24 pm

I saw the old posts from 2017. I don't want a motion detector, too damn many cats coming over the wall. I give them a rock gift when I see them. I checked the Home Pro website but didn't see anything about CCTV. I have a feeling that the problems will disappear once CCTV is installed. Pretty sure this is somebody very close by. I just need a reliable company that isn't going to charge an arm and leg.

Thanks

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 13, 2018, 7:58 pm

sgt wrote:
October 13, 2018, 7:24 pm
I saw the old posts from 2017. I don't want a motion detector, too damn many cats coming over the wall. I give them a rock gift when I see them. I checked the Home Pro website but didn't see anything about CCTV. I have a feeling that the problems will disappear once CCTV is installed. Pretty sure this is somebody very close by. I just need a reliable company that isn't going to charge an arm and leg.

Thanks
The motion detection is typically in the software, so it should be free with your unit. You should be able to set the motion detection to ignore small moving objects like a cat. The algorithms in my system were designed and coded more than ten years ago, things have advanced dramatically since then, so if you get a new system I'd "assume" that they would be much much better than my system. During the day my system's motion detection works pretty good, with only a couple false positives all day... but yeah, with all the critters at night my system's software/algos aren't up to the job. I have to rely on other detectors at night.

Good luck.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 14, 2018, 2:35 pm

Thanks rjjo4, I'll need the luck. I've had several attempted break in's and one actual burglary 2 Songkrans ago when I was in the house, snatch and grab, got my old laptop and old phone worth nothing except for the addresses/phone#'s but they grabbed an unassuming change basket that had 20,000 baht of gold, happy Songkran for somebody. I bagged the evidence but the cops wouldn't even come out. Just the other night somebody tried again, I never heard the gate or the screen door open but had put my new and expensive laptop up about 20 min. earlier. They knew I was in my bedroom on the desktop watching movies, news etc. I just got up I guess before they got all the way in as there was no sign of anybody, yes I did a house search and I used to do professionally, Screen door was opened wide so as to not close and the gate about a foot or so. Last time they came/went over the wall and had it been stateside one wouldn't have made it. Somebody is targeting me and/or my wife.

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » October 14, 2018, 4:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your burglary.
It's seems if you have cameras and can prove it with
Burglary then go to police but they do nothing...
Have you the room on your property for a very good
Guard dog ...the dog will hear them coming over
the wall or any part of the house and act on it and also give you warnings there's someone trying to get on to your
Property...
It's just a thought and people will know you have
A very good guard dog in no time ...
Goodluck

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » October 14, 2018, 5:24 pm

Thanks, there are far too many barking dogs in this neighborhood now, drives me nuts. I'd love to have my old German Shepherd, pure breed from a line of guard dogs. A friend of mine that had been with the K-9 corps in the army helped me train from a puppy. Absolutely fabulous around children, ah never raise a hand to one, chances are you will not get it back and loyal to the corps. No bark, same as a friend's Dobermans, they'd let you in the house, but you didn't get to leave. She went silent and for the throat. Well trained.

I'll get a setup and that will probably stop whoever it is because I believe it is a neighbor.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 15, 2018, 9:08 am

I had a system installed by a local guy more than a year ago. I think the entire system and installation cost about 15,000 baht. The brand is AST. It has been flawless. I had to furnish the monitor. The infrared cameras have very good night vision and the resolution is also good. I did make a mistake by only buying a four camera system. Four cameras are not enough and it is not expandable. The language is Thai and I cannot do much with it. My wife has to check the hard drive recorder when necessary.

I also have a one camera WiFi system. It is D-Link and it sucks big time. I bought the system from Lazada. It always gave me a warning that the D-Link website wasn't safe but it worked half assed. It drops out often and I need to reset everything. I bought D-Link because of their bullcrap advertising telling me what a simple setup it is, LIES. Now I get the message that the D-Link website has had the certificate revoked and I can't view the recorder. I thought that if I plugged the hard drive into my computer, I could view the videos, WRONG, wrong format. D-Link tells me that Thailand is not supported and to contact D-Link Thailand. After several emails to D-Link Thailand, I get no reply. No more D-Link products for me.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 15, 2018, 9:15 am

sgt wrote:
October 14, 2018, 5:24 pm
i'll get a setup and that will probably stop whoever it is because I believe it is a neighbor.
probably someone you had over for a beer or friendly meal being neighborly and they used that
opportunity to scope what you had worth taking

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 15, 2018, 9:31 am

Sgt, don't know who you are but if you need help I'll be happy to aid you if I can, I've installed a few CCTV and alarm systems over the years, I'm a bit wary about going up and down ladders so I use my builder now but I know a bit about the available cameras and dvr's etc and setting up iPads etc, let me know by pm if you need help.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 15, 2018, 10:40 am

sgt
You might want to look at an Ajhua CCTV Systems which support many languages including English. There shop is on the 3rd floor of LandMark (enter from BB bank side, take left escalator on 3rd floor 1st shop on left) and web site is

https://www.kptechcctv.com/

Not a fan of their install guy, so-called expert, in fact they tell me that he is also not a fan of me. Just used him once for a router > CDR problem. Someone else had done the install before I bought Ajhua CDR. If you need an install guy wife has the # for someone else which I can get for you. Not sure brand name of his CDR's but had him replace a few power bricks and install a couple more camera's. His power bricks have longer warranty, 3 yrs. Think I like his cameras better, So you could do a mix & match by buying CDR one place and cameras somewhere else.

The APP I use on Samsung phone to view 6 (max) cameras from anywhere you have a connection is "IP Cam Viewer Basic" which is a free download.

My system is a "bear" to setup, so I backup everything I can.
Think the Ajhua CDR (8 cameras) was about 5k baht, think the camera's from other source were 1800 each. Think I paid a local guy (also have his #) for install around 1k for labor maybe 10 years ago. Also wire and bricks will be extra.
good luck

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”