์No Bags

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
parrot
udonmap.com

์No Bags

Post by parrot » October 9, 2018, 2:36 pm

Heads up.....folks who came here to escape the rules won't like it, but it's coming, so be prepared:

The Royal Project Store in Central is phasing out free bags.....Mon and Tue in Oct you pay 5 baht per bag.......but by January, you'll pay 5 baht per bag every day of the week.

I sense that Tops is getting ready to do the same but haven't seen anything official, yet.
Attachments
42666825_1829878070444413_7931763319545790464_n.jpg

joepai
udonmap.com

Re: ์No Bags

Post by joepai » October 9, 2018, 3:00 pm

Excellent idea - bring it on - to ALL shops
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 9, 2018, 3:01 pm

About time,should of happend years ago,saying that the country will probably come to a stand still

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

The most bags I see on the ground and on the beach are those little ones that food comes in or stores like 7-11 put all small things in. They put a pack of cigarettes in a plastic bag. They should ban all plastic bags.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » October 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

glalt wrote:
October 9, 2018, 3:40 pm
The most bags I see on the ground and on the beach are those little ones that food comes in or stores like 7-11 put all small things in. They put a pack of cigarettes in a plastic bag. They should ban all plastic bags.
Buy a yoghurt and they put it in a bag with 2 straws and 3 spoons :D every morning mid bike ride i buy small bottle of water from 7/11 sit outside and drink it,every morning the girls puts it in plastic bag with 2 straws every morning i tell her i don,t need it,next day it starts again,i think its part of the training or maybe their on commission for how many straws,bags or spoons they can get rid of :?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 11, 2018, 5:23 pm

Dose now serving non-plastic straws

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 11, 2018, 6:01 pm

I mentioned this to the other half a while ago 7/11 as mentioned above will give you a bag no matter how small the item tesco give bags out like crazy and so on and said to GF one day the bags problem is going to be looked at and they will charge etc I got a big laugh oh they try 6 years ago wont work and if thats the way of thinking it wont people will use the shops that dont charge and then the big boys will follow suit enviromental responsability is not at the top of thai peoples concerns

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 11, 2018, 6:41 pm

It's easy enough to tell the person in Lotus/market/7-11 mai dawng gan sai tung krab ไม่ต้องการใส่ถุงครับ

Or, you can carry your own bag and do it the Makro way.

The US is 50ish years ahead of Thailand (developed versus developing) but shoppers still come home from most stores with a fistful of plastic bags unless you bring your own.

Tartempion
udonmap.com

Post by Tartempion » October 12, 2018, 11:57 am

Plastic bags have a smaller environmental impact than other types of bags.
No plastic bags is not the solution.
Better disposal than throwing them away will help and the 5 bags you get when you only need 1 is crazy.
If you use reusable bags please consider washing/cleaning them regularly, they are a source of bacteria when dirty. Studies have been made on how many thousand times you need to use a reusable bag before they benefit versus plastic bags.
I use the plastic bags as trash bags before they end in the trash and limit their number when shopping, I often use my reusable bags when hitting supermarkets.
Throwing bags away of any type on the streets is criminal.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 12, 2018, 4:28 pm

Hmm, noticed @ royal project store today the 5 baht charge, clerk said something to wife, then instead of 2 bags ¾ full, got 1 stuffed with stuff on top falling out. WTF I thought.

Have to re-think next time I go! Might just stop by Tops to steal a couple of bags, first. Hmm might work a few times. :lol:

Talk about stupid, this takes the prize!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 12, 2018, 5:30 pm

I do bring my own bags when I go to Makro and find it a pain, so only go every other month. I for one will change my shopping menus to the ones that supply bags, if they all go that route my shopping days are numbered.

But the expense to change their check out counters to the likes of Makro, just might make the places like Tesco and Big C and Tops, re-think the idea. But maybe not.

I guess for the Royal Project store, just grab a Tops wagon. :D Just picture all 10 shoppers in store with Tops wagons. :D

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 12, 2018, 7:14 pm

I take a cooler bag (with a couple of frozen cool blocks in it) when shopping for any chilled or frozen products.

It is particularly useful in extending the life of milk which I find is particularly sensitive to the heat cycle it would otherwise experience between the shop and my refrigerator.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 12, 2018, 10:37 pm

JimboPSM wrote:
October 12, 2018, 7:14 pm
I take a cooler bag (with a couple of frozen cool blocks in it) when shopping for any chilled or frozen products.

It is particularly useful in extending the life of milk which I find is particularly sensitive to the heat cycle it would otherwise experience between the shop and my refrigerator.

Great idea. What I do is pick up frozen items just before check out, and then go straight home, about 10 mins. Even ice cream is not melted when I get there, but store does put it into a ice cream bag.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » October 13, 2018, 8:41 am

They stopped giving free bags in supermarkets in England over a year ago.
If you want one then you pay for it . Yet somehow they survive . Amazing .
If you wanma change the world , it starts with education .
Something the Thais are not that good at unfortunately.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 13, 2018, 9:00 am

In San Francisco they've outlawed plastic coffee stirrers, but hand out hypodermic syringes like candy to heroin addicts who shoot up on the streets and discard the plastic needle cases along the poop-filled streets.

Thank god there's no more of those offensive coffee stirs!
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 13, 2018, 11:04 am

I refuse to put certain items already packaged properly into another plastic bag. Top's gave us a small discount for not using their plastic bags. Sometimes me and the missus have big arguments about plastic bags. She , Dont care a ----, me, Save the World (diver, have seen the problems its causing)

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”