Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by stattointhailand » September 21, 2018, 8:42 am

Agree that much of the delay is simply down to very bad planning [-X
Flattening of the mudbanks and laying a temp/cheap road surface outside the current lanes, could and should have been done BEFORE the main work was undertaken (on all 4 sides of the junction)

Having now provided a "U" turn for traffic from NK prior to the main junction, one has to ask where is the one for traffic in the opposite direction? Currently traffic from Tesco's that wants to go in the direction of Bobay/VIP/Global House/Big C has to go 2km the wrong way, U turn at Nong Samrong lights, 2 km back, left at NK road 2km up NK road to what was the 2nd U turn and is now the first,, U'turn and back 2km to turn left onto ringroad ....... a total of about 8km and 20 - 30 mins depending on traffic to travel what was about 500 metres :evil:

Wouldnt take a mastermind to be able to reinstate the Tesco U turn now they have got roads in both directions laid

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 21, 2018, 9:24 am

stereolab wrote:
September 21, 2018, 8:22 am
.... Travelling to airport tomorrow morning will see what happens then, an early start however. .....
IF coming from Nong Khai way, suggest you use Nong Samrong.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 21, 2018, 9:36 am

stattointhailand wrote:
September 21, 2018, 8:42 am
.... Currently traffic from Tesco's that wants to go in the direction of Bobay/VIP/Global House/Big C.....
Again, I'd suggest avoiding the intersection altogether and certainly for all that messing about. From Tesco's going Nongbua way, take the first left, which would take you through to Nong Prajak, if you continued. But first left again, opposite big, smart house, takes you through passing temple to the main Udon Dutsadi Rd, near to the Library/Planetarium. Then road opposite Udon Christian School will take you via Nong Sim lake to the intersection near Global.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 21, 2018, 1:51 pm

Made the mistake of getting caught up in these road / construction works this morning ..can only be described as a bomb site akin to the movie Battle of the Somme.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » September 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Have to deal with it a minimum of twice a day, every day. There's a back way we sometimes take through Ban Dong Wai that comes out near Bobay, but part of the road is a kidney buster that will knock your tooth fillings loose.
Reason# 12,347 to move out of Thailand.
The best gadget is the human brain.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 22, 2018, 12:31 am

runrunshaw wrote:
September 21, 2018, 6:17 pm
Have to deal with it a minimum of twice a day, every day. There's a back way we sometimes take through Ban Dong Wai that comes out near Bobay, but part of the road is a kidney buster that will knock your tooth fillings loose.
Reason# 12,347 to move out of Thailand.
i feel for you .. once in 3 months was enough for me and my van .. my venture into the losy zone reminded me of the scene from Saving Private Ryan as Tom Hanks n Co moved in ..only .. it wasnt raining !!
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 22, 2018, 9:28 am

We live just at the back of SB Furniture so have no alternative to taking this route at least twice a day.
I take the granddaughter to school in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon.
In the morning I aim to be out before 7.30am,so not too bad then,and pick her up from school around 3pm,again not too bad.
7.45am to 8.30am deffo a no-no.....same 5pm to 6pm....
Only another 3 years or so to go then it should be finished. :(
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 22, 2018, 4:38 pm

I travelled through the roadworks from NK at 0730 hrs this morning, sailed through all the way to the airport.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 22, 2018, 5:18 pm

stereolab wrote:
September 22, 2018, 4:38 pm
I travelled through the roadworks from NK at 0730 hrs this morning, sailed through all the way to the airport.
Maybe that had something to do with being a Saturday.
No School buses / plus parents taking children to school or government workers going to work.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 22, 2018, 7:15 pm

pal52 wrote:
September 22, 2018, 5:18 pm
stereolab wrote:
No School buses / plus parents taking children to school or government workers going to work.
That early yes but on Saturday/Sunday it still turns to ---- around 11 AM onwards, just like a week day but with the added bonus of Lao drivers who like to straddle lanes.

runrunshaw
udonmap.com

Post by runrunshaw » September 22, 2018, 7:47 pm

tamada wrote:
September 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
pal52 wrote:
September 22, 2018, 5:18 pm
stereolab wrote:
That early yes but on Saturday/Sunday it still turns to ---- around 11 AM onwards, just like a week day but with the added bonus of Lao drivers who like to straddle lanes.
Tamada nailed it. Weekend mornings aren't bad, but later in the day it's a nightmare going that last couple of kilometers to the Ring Road from the direction of Nong Kai. Coming back the other way is no picnic, either, now that it's down to essentially one lane. Having a 4WD drive SUV helps, but I have to give thanks to the Thai sense of what constitutes a detour--it's been worth a barrel of laughs.
The best gadget is the human brain.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » September 22, 2018, 7:50 pm

Yes, & Mr & Mrs Somchai who only go out on a weekend to see the bright lights of Udon & have no idea what to do or where to drive. At least the weekday commuters seems to have got a faint grasp of the situation having travelled it so many times
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 23, 2018, 12:17 am

Nigglyb wrote:
September 22, 2018, 7:50 pm
Yes, & Mr & Mrs Somchai who only go out on a weekend to see the bright lights of Udon & have no idea what to do or where to drive. At least the weekday commuters seems to have got a faint grasp of the situation having travelled it so many times
Good point. The daily navigators get to learn where the u-turns have been shifted to and where the barriers have been moved to make it narrower, etc. The weekenders have already forgotten how it was laid out the previous weekend.

I only go through it before 9 AM on a Sunday and the same route 3 hours later. I was a bit buggered 2 weekends ago when they 'suddenly' moved the north u-turn about 3 km up the NK road! I took a leaf out a sip-lohr driver's book though and now I u-turn over the railway tracks instead. Bite me.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » September 23, 2018, 12:19 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 21, 2018, 1:51 pm
Made the mistake of getting caught up in these road / construction works this morning ..can only be described as a bomb site akin to the movie Battle of the Somme.
Agree, as went past/through it last week and its typical Thai.

Someone suggested bad planning, which is part of the problem, as Thai's rarely thing ahead. The most likely reason is that the Contractor just doesn't want to spend a cent on any form temporary works, be it the roadway around this construction site or even the way builds the overpass, so he does the absolute minimum outside and inside of his Site. You can also see it in his general organization/approach inside his Site, as well.

It’s not just a Thai mentality, its typical in much of Asia and the Middle East. Thai and other Asian Contractors don't have that construction mindset of "Spending some money to organize their construction sites first, in order to get a better result and more productivity", because their labor is arguably very cheap

Not to mention the fact that as an Outsider (i.e. the General Public), you mean S F A to them and their profit margin, so why should they bother to spend on anything the outside, when they can just inconvenience you for free =D> =D>

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 23, 2018, 11:04 pm

I recall the KK tunnel featured in a few of my earlier Pattaya-Udon commutes and there was never any effort to provide a decent, durable temporary bypass on either side. Just the same ad-hoc shrinking of lanes as we see here. The Pattaya tunnel was a similar nightmare that I had to negotiate every morning on the school run with this time of year being worse with water-filled potholes and low-rider cars, pickups and tour buses tip-toeing around them and generally bolloxing it up even more.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » September 25, 2018, 11:57 am

Not a problem, actually a good thing, slow down some of the wild drivers, nice smooth slow ride for me often.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » September 25, 2018, 12:21 pm

Stop winging , this is thailand not europe, will be worth it once finished.

dazzadazza
udonmap.com

Post by dazzadazza » September 25, 2018, 1:33 pm

I must admin I had the some thoughts of this could be done better going though parts of the road works. Most of the hold up I found was caused by very poor road in a small parts of it causing the traffic to slow to near stop to get though it. This seemed to be one of the issues for the tail backs on some part and seemed like quite a simple thing to fix.

The one good thing is google maps traffic, You can see the traffic and it is normally correct, so you know when to avoid it and can take a detour.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 4, 2018, 7:19 pm

Contrary to sometimes popular belief, the city is trying to reduce the impact of the overpass/tunnel construction.
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/%E0%B8 ... n__=*NKH-R

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1390205

Don't expect miracles.....but maybe some changes to help improve the flow.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 31, 2018, 2:28 pm

A mere 344 days til completion!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3amTa_ ... bNzlDSjqVc

The good news, at least thus far, is that the construction appears to be much more professional than that done on the bridge by Big C.

Return to “Udon Thani News”