Eating farmed fish/prawns in Thailand.

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Sport
udonmap.com

Eating farmed fish/prawns in Thailand.

Post by Sport » August 13, 2018, 1:14 pm

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4752/f ... 54bb89.pdf

The Economic Benefit of Chicken Manure Utilization
in Fish Production in Thailand.

I came across the above article, its a few years old and gives an insight into fish and associated farming in Thailand.

I will never eat farmed fish in this country (have tried maybe 2 or 3 spoons of it) and they disguise the names to make it look appetising. A few I can recall are, Silver Dory and Pagnasius fillet, its all catfish farmed in filthy conditions same as prawns and other fresh water varieties. If you were to run a Geiger counter over the fish or farm, it would probably run off the scale.

Possibly over the past couple of years, chicken sh.t may have been phased out as a fish food but I doubt it. You do not know what is inside those fish food pellets and manufacturers will not tell the truth. Some of the smaller farms may use other types of fish food and I hope there are.

So next time you order a fish dish in a restaurant/bar/street stall (besides ocean fish) remember what you could be eating.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Eating farmed fish/prawns in Thailand.

Post by parrot » August 13, 2018, 3:51 pm

I think one popular self-sustaining thing to do (promoted by the previous person who sat in the big chair) was to raise tilapia in a small pond.......with a loose bamboo dock above it. The chickens would be housed on the dock.

Back in the days of GIs here, I remember a good many refusing to eat the local grilled chicken......having seen what may have been the same chicken roaming the side of the ditches along the road. But then, there were GIs who never ventured off-base or off the paved paths on base because of all the ills that could infect them. More than 40 years later, I still salivate when I think about the young Vietnamese girl who grilled up chicken in the market in Nakon Phanom.......not the girl, but the chicken. A 3 baht quarter of chicken, 2 baht of sticky rice, and a baht or two of greens from the market.........that was a good meal!

Tilapia, catfish, snakehead fish are probably 3 of the most commonly served fish in restaurants. I'm way in the junior league when it comes to fish, but I think I could do a blind test and choose among the three......assuming the fish were served at least in chunks and not as lahb.

I try not to think (too much) about where the veggies/fruits/beef/pork/chicken/fish come from while eating here......but then, I don't think much about it when in the US.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 13, 2018, 4:04 pm

I personly know of a situation near a village where the individual is raising pigs and he shovels the regular cleaning of manure from the pig stalls into a nearby pond for the fish. There are other individuals that use dry fish food from a bag but I am not sure of the ingredients. Many people like to eat Carp. Carp are bottom feeders. When I was a kid back in the U.S. we would stop by a place on the river bank where a drainage pipe discharged into the river. We could see the river Carp lurking around that drainage pipe.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » August 13, 2018, 8:21 pm

Didn't know that a Geiger Counter measured uncleanliness.

Learn sumfink every day.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

"So next time you order a fish dish in a restaurant/bar/street stall (besides ocean fish) remember what you could be eating."

Wouldn't be to sure what the "Ocean fish" have been eating either if they were caught within a few miles of the Thai river/sewage outlets :-&

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » August 13, 2018, 8:50 pm

Don't the ocean fish come ready wrapped in a plastic carrier bag?
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2018, 9:17 pm

I'm still trying to find a fish that Birds Eye and Findus haven't knicked the fingers from :evil:

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 14, 2018, 2:19 pm

Many fish eat algae. Farmers put manure in ponds to mainly encourage algae growth and not to feed the fish. I'm more concerned with ocean fish and heavy metals. If you want to see scary poison fish, look up salmon raising in Norway. Those huge pens are in salt water.

Check this out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYf8cLUV5E

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 14, 2018, 3:29 pm

glalt wrote:
August 14, 2018, 2:19 pm
Many fish eat algae. Farmers put manure in ponds to mainly encourage algae growth and not to feed the fish. I'm more concerned with ocean fish and heavy metals. If you want to see scary poison fish, look up salmon raising in Norway. Those huge pens are in salt water.

Check this out;

Jepp,saw how and whith what they feed those farmed Norwegian Salmon...Money talks,money many times are just plain greed and we as humans wonder why we are so overweight and sick.The world is sick,we seems to have sold our soul,the soul of humanity and dignity in many cases...Money=Greed..You/WE maid our bed,now shut the f*** up and except the consequences.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 15, 2018, 12:08 pm

And many of the undesirable constituents come from the fish used to feed those salmon ......

I know to many the idea of eating fish grown in water fertilised by chicken ---- seems gross, it is actually perfectly natural and safe (as long as you cook it). Half of the fish i eat comes from our ponds, grown naturally. These days, as chemical wastes eventually end up in the sea, ALL sea fish are contaminated to some degree.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » August 15, 2018, 4:16 pm

rick wrote:
August 15, 2018, 12:08 pm
And many of the undesirable constituents come from the fish used to feed those salmon ......

I know to many the idea of eating fish grown in water fertilised by chicken **** seems gross, it is actually perfectly natural and safe (as long as you cook it). Half of the fish i eat comes from our ponds, grown naturally. These days, as chemical wastes eventually end up in the sea, ALL sea fish are contaminated to some degree.
glalt wrote:
August 14, 2018, 2:19 pm

Check this out;

I doubt very much all sea fish are contaminated in any degree, sure you get Ciguatera in the larger fish, mackeral, big sharks, marlin, sailfish, red sea bass, maybe farmed fish and a few others and I do not eat those or farmed salmon. And I can put up with other species that are caught in pristine waters.

My thoughts of eating fish that has been fed chicken sh.t in any shape or form or other chemical food is not my idea of eating our finned cousins, but that is just me, I prefer salt water varieties, each to their own.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 15, 2018, 6:59 pm

Along the same lines, a friend of mine used to bring huge beautiful tomatoes to the factory and give them away. Everyone thought the tomatoes came from his garden. They actually came from the city sewage treatment plant. Tomato seeds do not digest and they end up in the slurry pile where they grow. I should add that the slurry is treated and 100 percent sanitary. Most of the people would no longer take them because of where they came from.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » August 15, 2018, 7:45 pm

''
Why worry ? The Us, EU and the rest of the world seem to have an endless appetite for Asian seafood and fish products.
If it s good enought for the US, EU and the rest of the world it can t be that bad. Most health professional will tell you that the benefits from eating fish out-weight the possible negatives.

I have added few insights from the USA FDA.

I know that this is about eating Thai fish-prawns in Thailand, i know that a huge Thai agro-business (C ? ) raises shrimps and prawns in the South for first the US market and second for the Thai market, same conditions for all shrimps, they seem to have little difficulties passing the US inspection,, YES some shipments are refused at the US border. Same for all countries all products. Of course China the biggest exporter has more rejections than anyone again relatively few. Mexico the largest veggies-fruits exporter has more rejections but again quite few. The country having the biggest rate of rejections is .... FRANCE. see below..

https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2016/07/us- ... t-refusals

''
LARGEST SOURCING COUNTRIES SEE MOST REFUSALS
While the three countries seeing most refusals are Mexico, India and China, the data is not a surprise because Mexico ships more vegetables into the US than any other country. Likewise, India ships more spices and China more seafood to the US, than any other country. So the primary refusal categories for these countries are in line with the amount of product shipped. The more important indicator is when a country has a high level of refusal compared to the amount of product shipped into the US. For example, shipments of cheese and cheese products from France account for 14.1% of the overall category, but they have 36.8% of the refusals.
refusal.jpg
""

'' https://www.fishwatch.gov/sustainable-s ... al-picture ""
unnamed.png
https://www.statista.com/statistics/197 ... by-volume/
unnamed(1).png
""

""
http://www.fao.org/in-action/globefish/ ... ilapia/en/
United States of America

During the first three quarters of 2017, demand for tilapia continued to weaken in the US market, and total imports of frozen tilapia fell by 13 percent, compared to the same period in 2016. US imports dropped for frozen fillet and whole frozen categories.

China continued as the main supplier of tilapia to the US market, notwithstanding the drop in imports from China due to the weakening demand in the United States of America. .

During the review period, there was an increase in US imports of whole frozen tilapia from other suppliers, namely Thailand, Viet Nam, India and Bangladesh. In the US market, there was also more frozen fillet from Latin American countries like Ecuador, Honduras and Panama, even though these quantities are marginal compared to those from Chinese and other Asian suppliers.

In 2017 73% from China

""
United States of America

During the first three quarters of 2017, demand for tilapia continued to weaken in the US market, and total imports of frozen tilapia fell by 13 percent, compared to the same period in 2016. US imports dropped for frozen fillet and whole frozen categories.

China continued as the main supplier of tilapia to the US market, notwithstanding the drop in imports from China due to the weakening demand in the United States of America. .

During the review period, there was an increase in US imports of whole frozen tilapia from other suppliers, namely Thailand, Viet Nam, India and Bangladesh. In the US market, there was also more frozen fillet from Latin American countries like Ecuador, Honduras and Panama, even though these quantities are marginal compared to those from Chinese and other Asian suppliers.

In 2017 73% from China

""
unnamed(2).png
https://www.gao.gov/assets/690/687183.pdf
""

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » August 15, 2018, 9:03 pm

In my pond are full size "Pla Nin" Nice and clean. Fed real Fish food.
They are available at the going rate .Even so, I like "Dory" (Yes from Vietnam) from Macro. Been eating them regulary for 20 years. I'm still here!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 21, 2018, 6:28 pm

Ok so which fish have the highest levels of mercury - mainly sea fish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_i ... sh_species

PCB's (polychlorinated biphenyls) in fish from around the Aleutian islands are high enough to trigger advisories on consumption

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2928280/

And around the UK .....

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... whale-lulu

Obviously some freshwater fish can contain high levels if grown in industrially polluted water. But many seafish contain moderate to high levels even if living far from sources of pollution.

One of the safest fish to eat is Tilapia.

Many fruit and vegetables are grown using animal manure. Not really any different if you grow fish instead.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 21, 2018, 7:50 pm

in Nigeria the fruit and veg was grown with human waste! We saw it every morning on the way to work. Finish your business and rake it in Omg

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”