Computer/TV Issue

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Computer/TV Issue

Post by Brian Davis » August 19, 2018, 4:37 am

Can anyone explain a bit more? The following message has appeared on the Toshiba tv, which I use as my desktop computer monitor. "USB over current status detected. Please remove all USB devices from the TV and restart the TV by removing the AC power". I haven't changed anything recently, moving cables or connections, so I'm confused (yes, I know it doesn't take much. :lol: ). I don't have any USB devices connected to the TV, just the mains power and the link cable to the computer itself. Seems I can continue using the computer.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Re: Computer/TV Issue

Post by pf-flyer » August 19, 2018, 5:35 am

[quote="Brian Davis" post_id=520840 time=1534628239 user_id=11309]
Can anyone explain a bit more? The following message has appeared on the Toshiba tv, which I use as my desktop computer monitor. "USB over current status detected. Please remove all USB devices from the TV and restart the TV by removing the AC power". I haven't changed anything recently, moving cables or connections, so I'm confused (yes, I know it doesn't take much. :lol: ). I don't have any USB devices connected to the TV, just the mains power and the link cable to the computer itself. Seems I can continue using the computer.
[/quote]

Just as the message says: One of the devices connected to USB draw more current than allowed (0.5 Amps).
Suggestion:
Look at the USB ports with the TV shut down and unplugged to see if a USB port has been messed up. It could be something shorting out the USB output circuit inside the TV also.
Good Luck.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 19, 2018, 8:14 am

Thanks. Funny how we can read/interpret things differently. Well, it has got a bit messy behind there with the heat, insects, limited access, static? so I had planned to get the tv off wall, pull computer out, thorough clean and then reconnect cables. As i say, I haven't changed anything to cause the problem, so I was thinking tv or computer has some kind of error. But fingers crossed for clean up/check first.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » August 19, 2018, 11:38 am

Are you sure that the TV that you are using as a monitor is issuing the message and not your computer? If your computer is issuing the error message you will need to take a look at your computer. It could be a bad USB cable or a USB port on the computer that has been messed up or a USB device that is plugged into the computer that is causing the problem.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

according to this youtube video (not in english) it appears to be a small hardware issue of the toshiba tv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr66rr7n_fg

my proposal:
take a picture of the toshiba tv screen error message and bring the picture to the toshiba repair center in udon for further Information.
wish you good luck.

Udonpaisan Center & Service Co.,Ltd
269/1-5 Phosri Rd. T.Makkang A.Muang Udonthani 41000
Telephone : 042-243-333 , 042-248-159
Fax : 042-249-687
Type AV,HA,SHA

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 19, 2018, 3:13 pm

Thanks both for your advice.
I presumed it was the tv issuing the message and Samuel's contribution seems to confirm that. I guess I'd have to link the computer with some other monitor to confirm that. We've just recovered from another power cut in Phen (thank you Thailand, just as I'm trying to sort a few things), so I've only been on here again about 10 mins. But, having cleaned things externally (would have been a pain to get the tv off its' wall brackets), reconnected cables, no message has returned yet. [-o< Otherwise, seems I might be off to Toshiba. I appreciate your help.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 19, 2018, 3:39 pm

Blast! Message is back. I've another tv I can use as a monitor, so I will try that to confirm it's the Toshiba tv and not the computer. If so, seems I'll be calling in to Toshiba, Udon soon. It's very strange, but breakdown problems always seem to come in threes. So computer/tv, car camera - oh dear, what next? Although, perhaps I should hope that my my car accident a month back (and reason now for buying the camera) was the first of the three. I have fallen off a scaffold too, which has done my back no good, but might have been a whole lot more serious. Perhaps I should stay indoors and lock the doors? :lol:

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 19, 2018, 4:13 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
August 19, 2018, 3:39 pm
... If so, seems I'll be calling in to Toshiba, Udon soon…
Maybe they can send somebody to your home to check it on place.
might avoid a lot of misunderstandings.
:-k

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 19, 2018, 4:21 pm

Sometimes we have to get a technician to come for something or other, if there's nobody very local. But being in Phen, it's a bit of a trek if they're based in Udon.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 20, 2018, 11:27 am

Really just for those who did contribute. I've linked the computer to a Samsung tv now - and no message appearing. Whilst I'm no Sherlock Holmes :lol: , fingers are pointing at the Toshiba tv. I'll be taking it into Udon with the message written down and a note of Samuel's youtube link.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 20, 2018, 12:12 pm

Unplug all external devices from your toshiba tv.
then start the toshiba tv.
if the usb-error-message appears then, it is most probably a hardware error of the tv.
Brian Davis wrote:
August 20, 2018, 11:27 am
I'll be taking it into Udon with the message written down and a note of Samuel's youtube link.
better take a picture of the error message with your smartphone as a proof.

and please keep us updated.
it's always nice to learn from other's personal experiences.
wish you good luck.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 20, 2018, 1:25 pm

Yes, as you suggested Samuel. With just the mains plug in, the message appeared fairly quickly.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 9, 2018, 10:15 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
August 20, 2018, 11:27 am
I'll be taking it into Udon with the message written down and a note of Samuel's youtube link.
@Brian Davis
any updates here?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 10, 2018, 3:26 am

Yes, Samuel. I took the tv into the shop suggested (under the big Toshiba sign, neat Immigration), but wasn't impressed. Ok, I only talked to guys in the selling area, showed them the problem, but they didn't at the video you supplied. One 'technician' initially suggested a program reboot, then to replace the board (mother board, I guess), which I believe would be 3,000 baht. But, from the video, the required repair seems fairly minor. No, I just came away.
I contacted Toshiba, Bangkok. Contacts there were very good, back to me within minutes of my sending an email! Anyway, they recommended best to send the tv (or just the board?) to Bangkok and, on my saying I didn't want to deal with the above place, suggested another repair outlet near Napalai Hotel, which would arrange that for me. Communication at that place was also difficult, as I tried to explain Bangkok had already been in contact with them direct. Anyway, left the tv with them, has been sent to BKK. They have my wife's telephone number now and I hope will contact again, if it proves anything but a minor repair and cost, before going ahead.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 10, 2018, 5:44 am

thanks for the update.
i do hope your tv will be repaired at a fair price.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 20, 2018, 10:09 am

I'm not sure the age of the tv, as I inherited it from a friend. Toshiba now tells me they no longer have a spare to replace the faulty part (capacitor,maybe). The board is ok, so tv will work, if they remove the USB bit. As I use it only as a monitor for the computer, I said ok. 1400 baht - probably a bit steep just to remove a part, but includes transport to/from BKK. New tv cost - 6,000. Next time, when this one explodes! :lol:

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 20, 2018, 3:14 pm

Maybe you can use a HDMI cable to connect it to your pc instead of a usb cable?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 20, 2018, 4:56 pm

Yup, I do - at least I think you call it an HDMI - the blue multi-pin adapter with a screw each side. I never used the USB connection, but this 'false' message came up on the middle of the screen and you couldn't get rid/move it.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 20, 2018, 6:34 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
September 20, 2018, 4:56 pm
Yup, I do - at least I think you call it an HDMI - the blue multi-pin adapter with a screw each side. I never used the USB connection, but this 'false' message came up on the middle of the screen and you couldn't get rid/move it.
That is a VGA connector.

This is HDMI
IMG_4920-2.jpeg
HDMI
IMG_4920-2.jpeg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 21, 2018, 9:47 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 20, 2018, 6:34 pm
That is a VGA connector.
Yes, YOU are correct. I get easily confused. :lol:
I do also use an HDMI cable to connect computer to my main, living room tv, so able to watch stuff downloaded onto computer in a bit more comfort. Son and I presently working through all the Harry Potter movies. =D>

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”