General Udon Thani topics only!
Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 15, 2018, 1:28 pm

I arrive next Saturday (July 21).

Will move to live in next few months with my Thai GF . So this is a reccy trip. (soon to be wife after a few years of us traveling back and forth).

Would be great to catch up with experienced locals for tips and tricks. Yes, there is such a thing as a free lunch or dinner on offer for some kind advice. Your partner is not only welcome, but encouraged to join us to chat with my lady.

Me, trying to retire, but keep on getting consulting jobs in Australian IT, so will do some contract work remotely. Brit that has grown up in Oz. Plan to build new home with my wonderful partner, and grown children, but really moving out of my comfort zone.

Alasdair

I am independently poor

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Newbie

Post by vincemunday » July 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Hi Alasdair, welcome to Udon, at first it will be a bit mind numbing, things are very different here but once you get into the swing of things it’s not so difficult. Building a house isn’t so tough either, it has its pitfalls but there’s plenty of people on here, including myself that have built properties and should be able to help if you ask for it. If you find yourself in bit of a pickle and need advice give me a call on 0910575550 or email me on [email protected] and I’ll do my best to help.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 17, 2018, 5:48 am

Good move to live here for maybe 6 months and preferrably in the area you intend to build.
Can be negatives there that you will not be able to do anything to rectify, not like back home in Aus.
Experience what it is like first hand getting to a decent doctor or hospital, living with power and water cuts, finding a place that sells a piece of steel or timber to your requirements.
No good complaining later, no one cares.
I've been coming and going for 10 years and just love the place. Learned quickly how to get around certain things and see how others have moved successfully. I can see though how some just simply would not fit in.
Good idea to keep at least some of your money details close to your chest . Loose tongue just makes you disliked among farangs and loved by locals until it is all gone.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 17, 2018, 12:43 pm

Thanks guys,

Be nice to catch up. Vince I will give you a call when I get in and maybe catch up for a quiet one. My beloved Rabbitohs are playing 8:30 Saturday, I assume there will be a broadcast somewhere, as long as it is suitable for myself and GF for a quiet after dinner drink (plus 7 Up for Lieu). I might meet some of you then if you share an interest in NRL.

Not sports mad but enjoy most games.

Cheers until next week. Alasdair
I am independently poor

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » July 17, 2018, 6:19 pm

NRL not shown as much as other sports as is a higher subscription The brick house on the main street has it and serves good food and an umatchable aray of drinks/also on same street the sports bar jim koes shows all the NRL but is hard to find if u havent been to it b4. hope that give u an idea where to catch the game

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » July 17, 2018, 10:51 pm

Essex, I noticed in your comment Re. your Redfern mob playing at 8.30pm Saturday 21 July. It will be shown live at 2.30pm, not 8.30pm in Udon and your up against the Balmain Tigers and the fibro men from the Western Suburbs, yeah good luck mate lol I just checked the NRL site and I am a Panthers man.

MusicalBars has pointed you in the right direction for bars and Jingjoes (Jim Koes, yeah good one Andy) Aussie Bar is closed for a short island holiday.

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » July 17, 2018, 11:26 pm

soz Rob that was just a typing error I did mean Jim Joes just with Essex not knowing area I thought may be hard to find on his first day

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 18, 2018, 8:01 am

Hi Alasdair, sorry although my dad was an Australian I was brought up in the East End/Essex and don't follow Aussie sports. Jing Joes is off of the Nittayo Road, it's not so tough to find and it'd be worthwhile you looking it up, full of Aussies and they obv show Aussie sports, but, I've a fair bit of experience on the land/building side so if you need help give me a bell.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 22, 2018, 3:22 pm

Glad I missed the match!
I am independently poor

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 22, 2018, 3:26 pm

Essex wrote:
July 22, 2018, 3:22 pm
Glad I missed the match!
It's just the standard Souths choke. I'm sure they will make the 8 easily and give it a shot, not like my mob the Bulldogs. Now on a 5 year rebuilding plan.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”