Road Repairs

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
gprit
udonmap.com

Road Repairs

Post by gprit » July 17, 2018, 10:13 am

Anyone know who to contact about the state of the road approaching the roadworks from the airport. It's full of (dangerous) potholes to the extent that traffic is avoiding it by turning inside, right by the shopfronts.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Road Repairs

Post by parrot » July 17, 2018, 10:43 am

I'd try 1132 which is the municipality hotline. I'd guess you'll need a Thai speaker to convey the problem.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 17, 2018, 10:48 am

A Thai friend of ours who works with the Chamber of Commerce says, if the problem is inside the ring road call
042 325176

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2018, 11:01 am

The whole ring-road needs extensive resurfacing. The near-side lanes have deep grooves from heavy trucks and when it rains, these fill with maybe a couple of inches of water. Bald tires will aquaplane but the biggest issue is vehicles at speed in these ruts will drench motorbikes on the hard shoulder when they pass. Pretty appalling when you consider that back in April, they KNEW that heavy trucks were buggering up the inner lanes and they KNEW that it rains a lot at this time of year.

File it under the same concern for public welfare as the PEA's ---- electricity supply.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 17, 2018, 12:21 pm

That's how one knows you have arrived in Udon
Down south in Thailand gorgeous double wide roads
I guess Udon isn't on the list

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 17, 2018, 1:22 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 17, 2018, 12:21 pm
That's how one knows you have arrived in Udon
Down south in Thailand gorgeous double wide roads
I guess Udon isn't on the list
Not only the South of Thailand ... i travel all over Isaan and must say the roads in Ubon , Sisaket , thru to Surin n Korat etc are all very well maintained at least dual lane and more , the net work linking KK , MSK , Roiet , Kalasin etc are also way better than Udon. All the above have ring roads in excellent condition ... UDON certainly is the poor relation with regard to the how the road network is (or rather ISNT) being upgraded n maintained... whats the reason ??? provincial heads allocating money elsewhere , corruption , and lets face it laying a road poorly means more future work re laying it again which means more money for all concerned again , n again n again , im guessing it also isnt a level playing field for those tendering for the road works with the same company getting the work as its already been decided on the split beforehand .

The stand out province for investment in both the road infrastructure and facilities , hotels businesses etc gotta be BURIRAM ... immaculate mostly 3 lane ring road , 2 lane on the West side..makes it pleasure to get in and ou the old town as well as the newly developed entertainment zones.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » July 17, 2018, 2:35 pm

gprit wrote:
July 17, 2018, 10:13 am
Anyone know who to contact about the state of the road approaching the roadworks from the airport. It's full of (dangerous) potholes to the extent that traffic is avoiding it by turning inside, right by the shopfronts.
Don't bother wasting your time.nothing will come of it.itll be joke of the day in the office about a farang complaining about the conditions of the roads.farang should be seen and not heard.as for sending the wife in they will spin some bs that it's her driving and not the roads.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » July 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

You’re certainly right about the corruption & backhanders in the highways departments.
We’re staying off HWY2 somewhere behind Nong Samrong. There’s a massive house near & I remarked to the owner of our villa if it was owned by a farang. Apparently not, it’s owned by someone high up (possibly mayor) of the tambon & it’s extravagantly vulgar. But the best part is the road is a perfectly sealed concrete highway from the front gate all the way to the turn off to his office in the next tambon. Everywhere else it’s so full of potholes you can’t even drive properly without picking your way through
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 17, 2018, 7:15 pm

the question I reckon would be who is responsible for which roads. The Rural Roads Department has large compounds on Rte 22 east of Udon and on Rte 2 south of Udon.. Big.. huge.. massive compounds with their headquarters, housing, motor pools et al. Now.. what do they actually have the responsibility to maintain? "Rural Roads" meaning the 4 digit routes that connect many villages and tambons throughout the province? How about the main roads into/out of Udon Rte 2, 22, and 210? Rural Roads Dept. or some other entity? Now at the Tambon/Tessaban level they evidently take care of smaller village roads by fund allocation then designating which roads get built and refurbished.. At least that's how it works in our area.. So, if the Pu Yai Ban has some clout or there's somebody important in the area, the roads get fixed/upgraded... If not, well... they tend to break and crack and get potholes.... Then of course there's the social media TV expose' type of things that tend to get the bureaucracy moving too... Seems like a bit of a mish mash in dealing with road maintenance...
Dave

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » July 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

i would suggest you ask mr. nice guy from "udon thani home News" to make a story.
publicity may push those guys in charge...…

https://www.facebook.com/191NewsUdon/

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » July 17, 2018, 9:16 pm

We had a new road built between our village and the next one 3 years ago.Was surprised as it was on a secondary route, previous;y just dirt track. The new road was lovely to drive on and hardly used. Then someone started to fill their land next to the road, ploughed 15 cm deep furrows in it. The rain came and the surface just disintegrated - it was made of stones with a 3 cm layer of tarmac on top. You cannot even get through in a pickup truck now!

Return to “Travel & Transport”