Central Air AC spilt AC units

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Central Air AC spilt AC units

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 2, 2017, 11:35 am

mickojak wrote:
July 2, 2017, 4:41 am
Barney wrote:John G
Barney, Unfortunately, this moron is back on the forum.
Probably been kicked off a couple of other forums lately.
It's been quite peaceful and orderly since he has been away, but, alas, looks like we will all have to suffer his bullshit again for a while. :^o
Mick
How to have a peaceful time
User Control Panel
Frends & Foes tab
Manage foes
Then add people you would rather ignore, optionaly if you want to let them know they have been added reply with "plonk"
Plonk is a Usenet jargon term for adding a particular poster to one's kill file so that that poster's future postings are completely ignored. It was first used in 1989, and by 1994[1] was a commonly used term on Usenet. To publicly repudiate a poster, it is added to one's reply or is simply used as the entire, one-word reply.
IMG_1142.jpeg
How to Stop idiots bothering you
Unfortunately if other people quote them you will see the part of the posting quoted.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » July 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

Thanks for that info STW,
But I really get a laugh whenever this clown posts :lol:
He's such a know all.

Makes me feel good knowing that there are bigger idiots out there than me \:D/
Mick

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » June 23, 2018, 3:48 pm

Thanks, Mick. No idea what you're getting so upset about, but evidently you know as much about a/c's as you do everything else you past about, and I haven't missed much while I've been away from the site.

The info about different sized pipes comes from the a/c installers at HomePro, and as a result of a mix up over a/cs. As a result we had the wrong diameter pipes installed for the a/cs we wanted so had to go for a different brand which, fortunately, turned out to be better and cheaper (Samsung). As I said, there is no 'standard' size and this is confirmed if you look at the detailed spec on the various brands' websites, which I did to confirm they were correct.

It's not "different size pipes for each different brand" - that's not what I said.

What I said was "different brands and different models use different gases and that means different sized pipes. There is no 'standard' size, and if you have pre-installed pipes that will strictly limit your choice of brand / model / inverter / non-inverter, etc." which is very different!

You may be able to use the pipes fitted for one brand for another, and you may be able to use them fitted for one gas for another - on the other hand, you may not. IIRC there are four different sizes and three different main types of gas.

It's simply not possible to pre-install a/c pipes that will fit all or even most different a/c units. A cowboy installer will probably be able to 'modify' them to fit, but any manufacturer's guarantee will be void.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » June 23, 2018, 6:41 pm

News to me and I've been doing rac systems for 40 years now.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 23, 2018, 7:02 pm

I had a piece of crap Panasonic inverter that never worked right. The serviceman came when I wasn't home and convinced my wife that it was fine. It wasn't and a couple months after the warranty finished, it died. They wanted 7,500 for a new board. They offered no warranty on the new board. I asked them why the original board failed. No answer.

I mention that because I replaced the crap Panasonic with an LG inverter. Both units were 12,000 BTU and the original Panasonic piping worked fine. The LG is working perfectly. I also have a 21,000 BTU LG and the copper piping is quite a bit larger. I think the same size units use the same size pipes. Bigger units, bigger pipes.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » June 26, 2018, 10:19 pm

Its got nothing to do with the size of the units but the make and the type of gas. I'd suggest asking a reputable major installer or looking at the detailed specs, although it's possible to see the differences by eye if you look at a range of compressors or you check the detailed spec sheets which give the type of gas and pipe size. It's not difficult to check, nor is it difficult for a cowboy / poor fitter to use the wrong size pipes but once a fitter comes from the manufacturers if it all goes wrong they'll void any guarantee. As usual, up to you and the 'experts' here.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 27, 2018, 9:43 am

I'm by no means an expert but I do know that I am quite happy that my LG Inverter unit is working fine with the original Panasonic inverter piping and cables.

I also know that I was very disappointed with the Home Pro Panasonic servicemen. The 12,000 btu Panasonic inverter unit is sitting in my garage right now if anyone is interested. It cools fine for 10 to 15 minutes then shuts down and gives a board fault light. I couldn't see paying 7,500 baht for a replacement board and having the same problem within a couple months.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » July 8, 2018, 3:47 pm

As I tried to explain, the pipes may be the same, they may not.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » July 9, 2018, 6:14 am

Fault lights on pc boards can appear for a mass of reasons.
High motor draw, low voltage, high condensor temp, low fan coil temp and of course pc board fault.
The most affect differing piping sizes would have would be to reduce efficiency and it would not be detectable "by eye or by expat knowall know everything".
Pressure temp readings on the low and high side in Galts system will give an indication of the fault location but 7500 baht for a replacement board would make most decide to "not bother".

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 9, 2018, 10:48 am

bluejets wrote:
July 9, 2018, 6:14 am
Fault lights on pc boards can appear for a mass of reasons.
High motor draw, low voltage, high condensor temp, low fan coil temp and of course pc board fault.
The most affect differing piping sizes would have would be to reduce efficiency and it would not be detectable "by eye or by expat knowall know everything".
Pressure temp readings on the low and high side in Galts system will give an indication of the fault location but 7500 baht for a replacement board would make most decide to "not bother".
The Panasonic unit came with the installation kit so I have to assume that the piping size is correct. Something causes the fault light and since I got no answers as to what it was, I declined to pay 7,500 baht to replace the board. Three different service companies checked it out and all three wanted almost the same money to replace the board. Not one of them would guarantee their repair. Perhaps the inverter systems are too complicated for the repairmen.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

the fault light on one of my units came on after a gecko decided to commit suicide and melted onto the board.... The tech who fixed it had to order a new board that cost a couple of thousand baht.. Fixed the issue, its been chugging along for over 10 years... off brand.. Saiko Denji.... not inverter.. Next ones will be name brand double inverter types..
Dave

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 9, 2018, 8:36 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
July 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
the fault light on one of my units came on after a gecko decided to commit suicide and melted onto the board.... The tech who fixed it had to order a new board that cost a couple of thousand baht.. Fixed the issue, its been chugging along for over 10 years... off brand.. Saiko Denji.... not inverter.. Next ones will be name brand double inverter types..
I did take the covers off the Panasonic inverter to see if a jing jok had gotten in. The board was clean and I could see no obvious problem, as in no burned spots.

Return to “House & Land”