Heads Up Concerning Snake

General Udon Thani topics only!
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Heads Up Concerning Snake

Post by LoneTraveler » June 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Hi I wanted to share the experience I had on Friday. I have a small office attached to house, I went in and turned the air conditioner on. I heard a loud squeal so I turned it off. (air conditioner above door). As it went off, a 2 foot black snake with green markings on it head came flying out of the vents and dropped to the floor. Needless to say I grabbed my small dog (more worried about him then me) and I went outside and closed the door. My father-in-law went inside about 10 minutes later found the snake and killed it.

I have killed numerous snakes in the 4 years I have lived here. My father-in-law said the snake was very venomous and he had not seen this species in the area before. I had workers come to clean and check the air conditioner. They told me a rat had gotten into the conduit and chewed the plastic to the entrance to the conduit and some coating on various wires. He showed me and again I cannot believe how destructive rats can be in a short period of time.

However, the snake detected the rat and went into the conduit and climbed to the top where it meets the conduit and went inside. A very frightening experience. Almost as bad when I was in Vietnam, they told us to be careful in the outhouse because the snakes could come up through the tanks and bite your testicles off.

My yard is walled in 4 foot high concrete. I never leave garbage outside or anything that can be attractive to rats. I have notice that the toads and frogs have not been on my property for about 1 year. I am very cautious when I am outside, and always check when the dogs bark.

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Heads Up Concerning Snake

Post by maaka » June 24, 2018, 10:04 am

I was a rat catcher for 3yrs, doing research on how to eradicate rats from off shore islands, and yes rats will eat anything.They love plastic wiring for some reason. get one living in the engine bay of your car, and all the wiring will be shot.

I have been working in the forest for the last ten weeks, and yes all sorts of snakes, and nasty little things scrawling about.. even black Furry little caterpillars that hang down on long threads from trees, some overhanging the road, which latch on to unsuspecting motorcyclists, and give a nasty bite/sting..and also large light brown centipeds that can kill you, according to the missus,

Her sister had a snake in the upstairs part of her house the other night, it had climbed a tree and come in thru the open bedroom window..so concrete walls with overhanging trees wont keep them out...anyway, close scare for you LT

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » June 25, 2018, 3:58 pm

Yes I had a snake come into my condo on the second floor through the balcony got rid of it by spraying bug spray behind couch. It jumped in the air and exited through the balcony of which it came obviously climbing a tree to get in. Thank u for the heads about about the brown furry caterpillar. I noticed one crawling around my property, I swept it into a dustpan and chucked it over the fence. I did not want dogs to attack it.

Anything I do not recognize, I swept into dustpan and chuck over fence. I have seen some very strange frogs, almost translucent that I chuck over the fence. I never handle any of these creators bare handed, especially since some of these toads and frogs can be dangerous. I worry about my dogs getting too close to these creatures and getting stung or bitten.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 25, 2018, 5:25 pm

Lucky for me, the ants began hauling off this beast before I had a chance encounter.

I wouldn't be too confident in a wall keeping out the snake population. Twice in the years we've lived here, we've found a poisonous green snake inside the light enclosure for a long fluorescent light....atop a tall electric pole.

The day I arrived at Nakon Phanom while in the Air Force, I was transported from the military airplane with the rest of the passengers to the base theater. For the next 2 or 3 hours, base security officials and doctors gave presentations on the hazards of living in Thailand. "Don't step off the sidewalks because you'll be bitten by a cobra, don't drink drinks in town with ice, be wary of eating any of the local cuisine, do not in any circumstance mess around with the local women because that thing between your legs will rot off, do not walk off the beaten path in town because you'll be attacked by a ladyboy", the list went on. I knew of a few who spent the entire year in Nakon Nowhere and never ventured in town.
Attachments
20180616_103304.jpg

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”