Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 689
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2018, 9:42 am

samster wrote:
May 18, 2018, 6:49 pm

Is anyone out there on an OA? If so, do you have to provide new police and medical checks every year? I should have asked the Consulate, but, didn't think at the time - I don't want to lose face by calling again :D :D
While I am not on an OA I can tell you for sure that the medical and police check will be needed each time you get the OA.
However it is not every year but about every 2 years that you need a new OA visa.

The OA visa is valid for 1 year and multiple entry and each time you enter you get a 1 year permission to stay stamp. So you make your last exit and entry just before the visa expires and get a 1 year permission to stay stamp, then if you want to leave and return during that year you also get a re-entry permit. So almost 2 years on that visa
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
arjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 8300
Joined: October 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Location: Gone to get a life, "troll free"

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by arjay » May 20, 2018, 8:53 pm

Hi Bob, I've just checked my passport. It was in fact Dec 2015 when I last got a Non Imm O visa from the London Embassy (to visit friends & family). This last winter I didn't need longer than 60 days so opted for a tourist visa.

Noted the OP may not be old enough to obtain a retirement visa. Though are you saying the age for a retirement visa has been increased from 50 to 60? It was previously 50 when I had one. Also, the pension income didn't need to be state pension, it could be personal occupational pension income, which indeed mine was.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 164
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by samster » May 21, 2018, 2:46 am

arjay wrote:
May 20, 2018, 8:53 pm
Hi Bob, I've just checked my passport. It was in fact Dec 2015 when I last got a Non Imm O visa from the London Embassy (to visit friends & family). This last winter I didn't need longer than 60 days so opted for a tourist visa.

Noted the OP may not be old enough to obtain a retirement visa. Though are you saying the age for a retirement visa has been increased from 50 to 60? It was previously 50 when I had one. Also, the pension income didn't need to be state pension, it could be personal occupational pension income, which indeed mine was.
What I understood from the Hull consulate was that the age is academic. Unless you are in receipt of a State Pension, you are ineligible for an O visa based on Retirement and, that the only way to go was an OA

User avatar
Nigglyb
udonmap.com
Posts: 694
Joined: February 13, 2014, 5:00 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by Nigglyb » May 21, 2018, 3:43 am

Straight from the Thai Embassy London website
Non-Immigrant Type O

For dependent child (age below 20 years): A copy of birth certificate, a copy each of employment letter, passport and visa of the parent who is going to work in Thailand, and a copy of registration of the company or organisation where the parent will work
For accompanying spouse : A copy of marriage certificate, a copy each of employment letter, passport and visa of the leading spouse, and a copy of registration of the company or organisation where the spouse will work
For accompanying a Thai spouse : A copy of marriage certificate, a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse, and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)
For accompanying a Thai child : A copy of Thai birth certificate, a copy of the Thai child's passport/Thai ID, a copy of marriage certificate to a Thai spouse or divorce paper/child custody paper (in case of divorce), and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 annually.)
For working at an NGO/volunteer work : An official recommendation letter or employment letter from NGO or organisation which undertakes volunteer work in Thailand, registration document of NGO or volunteer organisation
For pensioner : A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner or a copy of 1 month bank statement showing your income from pension.
It doesn’t say anything about State Pension other than what to submit if you’re drawing it. You say you’re in receipt of a Private Pension so you can provide a statement showing income. To be honest, they probably won’t care where your income comes from as long as you can show it on a statement
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by BobHelm » May 21, 2018, 7:12 am

You are, however missing previous notes about applying for a non imm 'o' based on retirement from the Thai London Embassy web site though Nigglyb.
pension 1.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... Visas.html
pension 2.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... visas.html

I have got one of these visas for the last 13 years. Originally no hassle from Hull for just over 8 years. Hull were then stopped from issuing anything but Tourist visas. I then had no choice but to go to the Embassy. Originally you had to prove pension income (from anywhere) of over £12,500 per annum, which I did. However they then (after a couple of monetary changes) went to the current rule about Government Pension. When they introduced this first they were absolutely insistent on it. The may have backed away from that now, but I have never heard anyone say that they have received 1 other than by showing a Government pension.
That is certainly what I have done without difficulty for the last 2 years & will do so again in July this year..

So, yes, RJ the age has effectively been moved to 65.
There are some Government employees who can get a Government pension at 60 - firemen, armed services etc...

User avatar
Nigglyb
udonmap.com
Posts: 694
Joined: February 13, 2014, 5:00 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by Nigglyb » May 21, 2018, 9:46 pm

Yup, my bad, skim reading my tablet
According to the Embassy, based on the info the OP has divulged earlier in the thread, he can qualify for a tourist multiple-entry or a non-immigrant O-A long stay visa
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

User avatar
Giggle
udonmap.com
Posts: 292
Joined: October 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by Giggle » May 21, 2018, 10:01 pm

Appears to be a demographic issue. What a horrible way to end up in your waning years. Rule Brittania.

User avatar
arjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 8300
Joined: October 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Location: Gone to get a life, "troll free"

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by arjay » June 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Bob Helm wrote:"He is not receiving a Government Pension."
On a general related point, it occurs to me that if "Government Pension" in effect means that the pension income can only be the state old age pension. Then in the UK, the amount of that pension (at the newer higher rates) is only about £164pw (£657 per 4 week month, or £8546 pa). That wouldn't then meet the Thai Immigration pension requirement of 65000 baht per month (or 800,000 baht per year), and unless something has changed, would surely leave a UK state pensioner with only the option of having to deposit 800K in his Thai bank account? :?

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by BobHelm » June 12, 2018, 8:17 pm

No RJ.
You are confusing the difference between getting an multiple entry, year long non 'o' immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK & applying for a yearly extension of stay in Thailand,
These are 2 completely different things & totally different rules apply to both.

What I have already (too many times :( ) said about the visa rules when applying from the Thai Embassy in London are absolutely correct - as at 12th. June 2018.
They may change tomorrow, but they are as I said today.

The OP has asked a specific question. I have answered that from 18 years of experience of being in his situation!!
If someone has experienced something different from the London Embassy since 12th. June 2017 then I would be extremely interested to know how & what is different.

I am returning to the UK on 7th. July & expect my Thai Embassy postal experience to be exactly as I have already posted.. & return on 29th. July with a multiple entry non 'o' visa issued from the London Thai Embassy based on 'retirement'..

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 689
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 12, 2018, 9:07 pm

arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 7:47 pm
Bob Helm wrote:"He is not receiving a Government Pension."
On a general related point, it occurs to me that if "Government Pension" in effect means that the pension income can only be the state old age pension. Then in the UK, the amount of that pension (at the newer higher rates) is only about £164pw (£657 per 4 week month, or £8546 pa). That wouldn't then meet the Thai Immigration pension requirement of 65000 baht per month (or 800,000 baht per year), and unless something has changed, would surely leave a UK state pensioner with only the option of having to deposit 800K in his Thai bank account? :?
Not if he wants a visa (no money on deposit in Thailand required, no minimum income needed, just the state pension), nor yet if he wants an extension, as the amount he would need to deposit for the extension is around 500,000 Baht because for the extension granted for the purpose of retirement you can combine income and bank deposit.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
papafarang
udonmap.com
Posts: 2041
Joined: August 2, 2013, 10:14 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by papafarang » June 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 12, 2018, 8:17 pm
No RJ.
You are confusing the difference between getting an multiple entry, year long non 'o' immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK & applying for a yearly extension of stay in Thailand,
These are 2 completely different things & totally different rules apply to both.

What I have already (too many times :( ) said about the visa rules when applying from the Thai Embassy in London are absolutely correct - as at 12th. June 2018.
They may change tomorrow, but they are as I said today.

The OP has asked a specific question. I have answered that from 18 years of experience of being in his situation!!
If someone has experienced something different from the London Embassy since 12th. June 2017 then I would be extremely interested to know how & what is different.

I am returning to the UK on 7th. July & expect my Thai Embassy postal experience to be exactly as I have already posted.. & return on 29th. July with a multiple entry non 'o' visa issued from the London Thai Embassy based on 'retirement'..
yes it is simple Bob, the stipulation of 800,000 baht is for people between the ages of 50-65 (although now 67 to get a old age pension in the uk). if your uk pension was 1p from the uk gov then you can still get a 12 month non "o" based on the fact that your actually retired from the workforce. don't get the 50-65 rule mixed up with retirement rule with the old age pension
the world is not my home, I'm just a passenger

User avatar
arjay
udonmap.com
Posts: 8300
Joined: October 2, 2005, 12:19 pm
Location: Gone to get a life, "troll free"

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by arjay » June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm

On a general related point,
I wasn't referring to the OP's original question or situation. Indeed I did say "on a general related point". I was in fact pondering if at some stage in the future, as a fully-fledged OAP (I.e. over 65), I might (again) want a retirement or long stay visa to stay in LOS.

So as I now understand it, from the preceding posts, as a fully-fledged pensioner of over 65 yrs, I should be able to obtain, from the Thai Embassy in London, a Non-Imm "O" visa for up to 1 year, upon production of evidence of my UK state pension, (no matter how much that pension might be)? That sounds even better then (for me).

Noted that IF I wanted to extend that visa at the end of 1 year, a different set requirements would apply, though as it would be most unlikely that I would want to do that (as in extend), I won't worry myself about that.

Thank you all for that clarity.

Hope you have a good flight on the 7th Bob. EVA? (My favourite).

User avatar
BobHelm
udonmap.com
Posts: 18423
Joined: September 7, 2005, 11:58 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by BobHelm » June 13, 2018, 6:41 am

arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm
So as I now understand it, from the preceding posts, as a fully-fledged pensioner of over 65 yrs, I should be able to obtain, from the Thai Embassy in London, a Non-Imm "O" visa for up to 1 year, upon production of evidence of my UK state pension, (no matter how much that pension might be)? That sounds even better then (for me).

Noted that IF I wanted to extend that visa at the end of 1 year, a different set requirements would apply, though as it would be most unlikely that I would want to do that (as in extend), I won't worry myself about that.
Spot on RJ.
Although you do have the inconvenience of having to physically leave Thailand every 90 days.
Also you can actually stay all but 15 months on this visa by exiting just before the visa expires & getting an additional 90 days.


arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm
Hope you have a good flight on the 7th Bob. EVA? (My favourite).
Not this time as I want to get to Heathrow early morning, rather than early evening.
First attempt flying Qatar.. we will see... :D

stereolab
udonmap.com
Posts: 185
Joined: June 12, 2014, 11:20 am

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by stereolab » June 13, 2018, 9:00 am

BobHelm wrote:
May 21, 2018, 7:12 am
You are, however missing previous notes about applying for a non imm 'o' based on retirement from the Thai London Embassy web site though Nigglyb.

pension 1.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... Visas.html

pension 2.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... visas.html

I have got one of these visas for the last 13 years. Originally no hassle from Hull for just over 8 years. Hull were then stopped from issuing anything but Tourist visas. I then had no choice but to go to the Embassy. Originally you had to prove pension income (from anywhere) of over £12,500 per annum, which I did. However they then (after a couple of monetary changes) went to the current rule about Government Pension. When they introduced this first they were absolutely insistent on it. The may have backed away from that now, but I have never heard anyone say that they have received 1 other than by showing a Government pension.
That is certainly what I have done without difficulty for the last 2 years & will do so again in July this year..

So, yes, RJ the age has effectively been moved to 65.
There are some Government employees who can get a Government pension at 60 - firemen, armed services etc...

I have been drawing my Military Pension since age 43, over 22 years now, and had I left at my 22 years of service point, I could have drawn it in 1994. It is however, not classed as a"State" pension. Officers are able to draw at age 37, after having completed 16 years service from age 21. New rules exist these days off course.

samster
udonmap.com
Posts: 164
Joined: June 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

An update on this. I applied for and, today received an OA visa in the Post.

Documents provided and cost were:-

Current Passport
2 x Application forms with 2 photos attached to each. The website is a little ambiguous as to whether just 2 photos or 4
Supplementary OA application form
Bank Statement (see below) and one copy
Medical Certificate signed by GP and copy
Police Check and copy (link provided on RTE website)

The visa fee for multiple entry was £125 plus £10 for return postage. The fee needs to be paid by postal order which cost a further £12.50 and the cost of registered post was about £7.50. In addition the police check cost £45 although the medical cert from my GP was free. Add all those up and total cost was £200.

Only problem was with my bank statement. I went into my bank and asked them to print off a statement. I sent it off with my application but they rang, within a day of receipt, and said they couldn't accept it as it wasn't an original. It was but, as it was a black and white print copy, they wrongly assumed it wasn't. I went into my bank again and had them print off another with their stamp on and sent that off again registered post (another £6.50). On receipt of that they processed my visa within 24 hours.

All in all prompt service although, I did try to ring a couple of times to query something and both times was unable to get through after being on hold for 30 minutes.

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest