Proud to be English

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Proud to be English

Post by Old Grumpy » June 4, 2018, 8:24 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-44142843
Interesting survey, apparently the older generation are more so than the younger ones .
I find the survey to be incorrect as it includes many who are definitely not English. They work on the false premise that all the immigrants from around the world who have British citizenship are English , well in my opinion they are not, having a British passport does not make you one , no more than a Scot or a Welshman is. They may claim to be British certainly, but an Englishman is a white caucasian of English heritage. Time we stopped saying they are english those that come from other parts of the world, even if they are second or third generation, they are British , definitely not English.

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Proud to be English

Post by Giggle » June 4, 2018, 9:12 pm

Nope, all the dross and scum and filth you've welcomed in for decades, and all the domestic garbage who are born into the horrific state are yours. Own it.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 4, 2018, 10:36 pm

A different survey may reveal that readers find 'Old Grumpy' is far less upset with the world and its inhabitants than the real deal - Khun Paul/Guns.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » June 5, 2018, 12:05 am

Welcome back Giggle, were you lonely in the sin bin? It’s nice to bring a bit of balance to an otherwise interesting but dull subject
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 5, 2018, 1:15 am

Oh cool. This thread has "Fun" written all over it. I think the great majority are English. 2nd or 3rd generation and they're not English? That's shocking.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 5, 2018, 2:39 am

Next thing you know the battle lines will be drawn between the Norman's and the Saxons. I think if they are 2nd generation on they are English(unless they state otherwise), no matter their families origins. I consider my mother(2nd generation), myself, and my siblings as "American", even though we do not have a drop of native American blood in us.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2018, 7:18 am

Bit hard on the Scots I thought .......... considering THE INGLIS (Old English for Englishmen) were a Scottish clan.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 5, 2018, 9:36 am

Stantheman wrote:
June 5, 2018, 2:39 am
Next thing you know the battle lines will be drawn between the Norman's and the Saxons. I think if they are 2nd generation on they are English(unless they state otherwise), no matter their families origins. I consider my mother(2nd generation), myself, and my siblings as "American", even though we do not have a drop of native American blood in us.
In that case, I would be Norman probably in Denmark or Norway prior to that. I gather my ancestors came to England in 1066 and all that. My great-great grandfather came to Canada around 1790.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » June 5, 2018, 9:47 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2018, 7:18 am
Bit hard on the Scots I thought .......... considering THE INGLIS (Old English for Englishmen) were a Scottish clan.
I have never met a Scot with the desire to be English , nor vise versa, not withstanding Hadrians contrbution, our two nations have for many years been in friendly rivalry both on the field and in reality, that is why I and many others , both side of the border, look with dismay at the actions of the little ginger pussy attempting to divide us .
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 5, 2018, 11:14 am

I agree to a point with old grumpy, there's an awful lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation mainly Asian immigrants who are quite happy to hold a British passport, use the benefits that affords but refuse to integrate and will quite happily denounce Britishness, it's no surprise that the most people who were least proud to be British came from areas that are densely populated by these people.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 11:19 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
June 5, 2018, 9:47 am
stattointhailand wrote:
I have never met a Scot with the desire to be English , nor vise versa, not withstanding Hadrians contrbution, our two nations have for many years been in friendly rivalry both on the field and in reality, that is why I and many others , both side of the border, look with dismay at the actions of the little ginger pussy attempting to divide us .
Inglis. "This interesting surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and derives from the Olde English pre 7th Century word "Englisc", which was used, to refer to the Angles as distinct from the Saxons. The form Inglis is a Scottish form of the word referring to a Scottish border dweller of English as distinct from Celtic stock." In other words lowland Sassenachs that were never, ever close to being Jockinese.

You started off with Englanders (especially the white ones) über alles and mentioned something called Hadrian's 'contribution' but are now holding a candle for William Wallace?

I hope you give a fig for the Welsh too. They do sing well.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 11:24 am

vincemunday wrote:
June 5, 2018, 11:14 am
I agree to a point with old grumpy, there's an awful lot of 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation mainly Asian immigrants who are quite happy to hold a British passport, use the benefits that affords but refuse to integrate and will quite happily denounce Britishness, it's no surprise that the most people who were least proud to be British came from areas that are densely populated by these people.
Steady on there Tonto. The BBC article referenced in the OP is all about asking people if they feel English. Bugger all about "1st, 2nd and 3rd generation mainly Asian immigrants who are quite happy to hold a British passport" that by laws and naturalization they are totally entitled to.

Conflating ethnicity with nationality and nationality with birthright... twas ever thus.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » June 5, 2018, 11:30 am

stattointhailand wrote:
For those who don’t know and might be interested (tam :) ), there’s a website wearetheenglish.com. On their t shirts statts they use the word Englisc for the old word for English.Ive bought from them before and found the quality of the clothing very good.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 5, 2018, 11:54 am

There are some people who fail to consider the facts. The facts are that we had no choice as to where we were born. Some immigrants are far more patriotic than the native born. Those immigrants are grateful for the opportunities that Western countries gave them. Whether or not immigrants are willing to assimilate into their new homes determines if they will be good or bad for the country.

Immigrants will always want to preserve some of the culture of the countries they were born in. I have seen some things first hand. My great grandfather was brought to the US from Germany by his family. His life was hard on him. He refused to speak English. His children and even his wife forbade him to speak German. The Second World War destroyed him and he died a sad old man.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 1:12 pm

glalt wrote:
June 5, 2018, 11:54 am
There are some people who fail to consider the facts. The facts are that we had no choice as to where we were born. Some immigrants are far more patriotic than the native born. Those immigrants are grateful for the opportunities that Western countries gave them. Whether or not immigrants are willing to assimilate into their new homes determines if they will be good or bad for the country.

Immigrants will always want to preserve some of the culture of the countries they were born in. I have seen some things first hand. My great grandfather was brought to the US from Germany by his family. His life was hard on him. He refused to speak English. His children and even his wife forbade him to speak German. The Second World War destroyed him and he died a sad old man.
Some born and bred Brits tend to take things for granted, whine for the good old days then pull an 'Elvis' to go live the dream in Thailand whereas the newly-assimilated Brit is happy he/she got where he/she wanted be and wants to fully realize their dream there (despite it only being Accrington).

Not to diminish the torment that your great-grandfather obviously experienced, the description could fit a fair few farangs here on finding Thailand is not quite Nirvana.

"He refused to speak Thai. His children and even his wife forbade him to speak his native language. The stench of plahrah and too many Archa's destroyed him and he died a sad old man."

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 5, 2018, 1:41 pm

Thought provoking. :-k
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » June 5, 2018, 3:10 pm

Asian migrants move to England and refuse to assimilate. English migrants move to Asia and refuse to assimilate. Thought provoking indeed GT.
Watch Me!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 5, 2018, 4:32 pm

Serious question, are there many farang that refuse to assimilate, I would say a good 99% of people i've met here do, i would say the vast majority at least try to speak some Thai and are respectful of Thai culture.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » June 5, 2018, 4:39 pm

vincemunday wrote:
June 5, 2018, 4:32 pm
Serious question, are there many farang that refuse to assimilate, I would say a good 99% of people i've met here do, i would say the vast majority at least try to speak some Thai and are respectful of Thai culture.
Well I do my best but it isn't easy when after ten years living here I am still referred to as "the farang' by both friends and family .
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 4:55 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
June 5, 2018, 4:39 pm
vincemunday wrote:
June 5, 2018, 4:32 pm
Well I do my best but it isn't easy when after ten years living here I am still referred to as "the farang' by both friends and family .
Yes vince, the ~1% hold-out is pretty much my personal experience. I guess it's all the really grumpy ones on the big forum that would give it the appearance of being otherwise?

I agree OG and I guess that if you do your best then that's all you can really do. You can't make others do their best and there's no point in construing their ignorance or apathy as any sort of reflection on your efforts to assimilate as exasperating as it can be.

Return to “Open Forum”