Don't forget Sir Winston Churchill tomorrow

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Lone Star
udonmap.com

Don't forget Sir Winston Churchill tomorrow

Post by Lone Star » June 5, 2018, 8:53 am

Do not forget Winston Churchill. Do not forget the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice to free Europe from tyranny.

Never forget. Never give up.

June 6, 1944 ... D-Day ... Normandy Invasion ... the beginning of the liberation of Europe.

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Sport
udonmap.com

Re: Don't forget Sir Winston Churchill tomorrow

Post by Sport » June 5, 2018, 9:36 am

Most people will take time out to reflect on this famous day. Thanks LS for posting.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » June 5, 2018, 9:38 am

Thank you for that reminder LS. Yes indeed Sir Winston Churchill, a geat man in the right job at the right time, making him in my opinion and many others , the greatest Engishman of our time .I had the pleasure of meeting him as a member of the constituency he represented as an MP and listening to his speeches both on the radio and in parliament many times . How could anyone fail to be inspired by them?But let us not forget the timing of DE day was a collabration between him and the American military leader Dwight D Eisenhower, and the men involved were a combination of not only those two countries but of many others that valued their freedom and were prepared to die for it .Let us remember them all .
For those not old enough to have experienced a total world war spend some time on this link, it will give you just an inkling what it was about and why us older ones value our freedom so much .http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/z9k99j6
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2018, 10:45 am

Whilst agreeing that one should remember the millions who put their lives on the line for freedom during the world wars, I would be only too pleased to be able to forget Churchill who, had it not been for the war, would most surely have gone down as one of the worst and most hated politicians in British History

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 5, 2018, 11:00 am

Oops. The 4th Division was at Utah. The Ist Division was at Omaha.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 5, 2018, 11:02 am

... Churchill who, had it not been for the war, would most surely have gone down as one of the worst and most hated politicians in British History
You really should hate Chamberlain for appeasing Germany rather than Churchill for having the audacity to ask America for help. I often get the impression Britons would have been happier losing the war.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 5, 2018, 11:31 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2018, 10:45 am
Whilst agreeing that one should remember the millions who put their lives on the line for freedom during the world wars, I would be only too pleased to be able to forget Churchill who, had it not been for the war, would most surely have gone down as one of the worst and most hated politicians in British History
I'm not a Brit but I do have my own impressions of Churchill. Those were desperate times and he had to make very difficult decisions. I would bet that some of those difficult decisions haunted him until the day he died. Bleeding hearts will always find ways to criticize brave men.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2018, 11:37 am

Most of Churchills "difficult decisions" (I would probably have used UNEXEPTABLE rather than difficult) were made either before or after the war and we can only hope that they DID haunt him till he died

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » June 5, 2018, 11:38 am

Lone Star wrote:
June 5, 2018, 8:53 am
Do not forget Winston Churchill. Do not forget the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice to free Europe from tyranny.

Never forget. Never give up.

June 6, 1944 ... D-Day ... Normandy Invasion ... the beginning of the liberation of Europe.

Good grief!
Give it a rest will ya!
Signed,
a proud Englishman.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

"Good grief!
Give it a rest will ya!
Signed,
a proud Englishman."

=D> =D> =D>

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » June 5, 2018, 12:25 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:01 pm
"Good grief!
Give it a rest will ya!
Signed,
a proud Englishman."

=D> =D> =D>
I wonder of the negative repliers how many were alive during the war and remember the horrors inflicted on the civilian population by the aggressors. Lest we forget is very appropiate, but how do you forget being buried alive by nazi bombs or the anxiety felt when the telegram boy was coming down the street wondering was he coming to your place to tell you a loved son or husband had made the total sacrifice. I know I never will , till the day I die .Be thankful if you never had to experience the horror of war but don't knock those that did for remembering.
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » June 5, 2018, 12:39 pm

The beginning of the liberation of Europe didn't start with D-day. Ask the Russians

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 12:51 pm

Seems that more and more Englanders are subscribing to the "I am ashamed to be English" school of personal disaffection and self-styled disenchantment these days.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 12:52 pm

skinner wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:39 pm
The beginning of the liberation of Europe didn't start with D-day. Ask the Russians
Oh look mum!.. a history teacher!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Unless I am very mistaken we have a day set aside each year to enable those of us lucky enough to have been born after the World Wars to learn about and remember family members who fell whilst serving their country. That day is REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY (The nearest Sunday to November 11th). If we are to remember every other day/event of both world wars individually we would need a new thread for virtually every day of the year.

As it is Winston Churchill that we are supposed to be remembering (according to the thread title) we should also be remembering that he was without doubt a racist bigot ....... and that was his good points

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » June 5, 2018, 1:02 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:51 pm
Seems that more and more Englanders are subscribing to the "I am ashamed to be English" school of personal disaffection and self-styled disenchantment these days.
Who said they are ashamed to be English ?

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » June 5, 2018, 1:12 pm

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:52 pm
skinner wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:39 pm
Oh look mum!.. a history teacher!!!
Ask your mum to pay for some lessons

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » June 5, 2018, 1:16 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:53 pm
Unless I am very mistaken we have a day set aside each year to enable those of us lucky enough to have been born after the World Wars to learn about and remember family members who fell whilst serving their country. That day is REMEMBRANCE SUNDAY (The nearest Sunday to November 11th). If we are to remember every other day/event of both world wars individually we would need a new thread for virtually every day of the year.

As it is Winston Churchill that we are supposed to be remembering (according to the thread title) we should also be remembering that he was without doubt a racist bigot ....... and that was his good points
As I thought your obviously too young to have served under his leadership so please do tell where did you get the information to have reached that conclusion, did your daddy tell you or have you been reading Wiki ?
Age is a matter of mind.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2018, 1:24 pm

skinner wrote:
June 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
tamada wrote:
June 5, 2018, 12:51 pm
Who said they are ashamed to be English ?
Not specifically in this thread (so far)... but they're out there waiting to confess their shame. It makes them feel better apparently.

Not only Englanders either in case you think I'm taking a wanton pop at Sassenachs. I'll have you know some of my best friends are Englanders, 'murcans and the like.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 5, 2018, 1:47 pm

What about Ike and Franklin? Quite a team effort.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Open Forum”