Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Udon Thani news, views and comments
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Overpass/tunnel Udon Ringroad Nongkai Hwy

Post by bumper » May 5, 2018, 5:56 pm

Just keep in mind how long it was to do the Big C overpass, I don't expect this to be any faster

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 5, 2018, 7:25 pm

I’ve driven from Udon to Nong Khai twice in the last couple of weeks, each time at approximately 10:00 am (to avoid the morning rush) and, as there is now no delay from the traffic lights, getting through the junction at that time of day appears to have actually been quicker than before the road works started.

While getting through the intersection on the return journeys, each time at approximately 4:00pm, has not been quite as quick the delay was no more than a few minutes – however that will probably get much worse when the schools are back in full swing.

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » May 29, 2018, 12:02 pm

bumper wrote:
May 5, 2018, 5:56 pm
Just keep in mind how long it was to do the Big C overpass, I don't expect this to be any faster
Hear tell it is a three(3) year Project, completion date late 2020.?????

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 29, 2018, 2:53 pm

bigsnake wrote:
May 29, 2018, 12:02 pm
Hear tell it is a three(3) year Project, completion date late 2020.?????
I'm hearing the same from Thai nationals in local government. I avoid that area at all costs. 555
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2018, 4:28 pm

I rather like the way it is now as to the days of Traffic Lights
I travel through the intersection 07:00 to 07:20 and anywhere from 16:00hr until 17:00hr each day 5 days a week

Would sooner they leave it the way it is and just clean it up. Right now it is something of a Modified Large Roundabout

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2018, 4:38 pm

One would hope that as different segments of the project are completed ie pillars for the flyover or end sections of the tunnel work or road widening near tesco then they will be able to release areas back to the traffic flow which may actually make improvements on what we were suffering before the project began ......... but there again TIT :roll:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2018, 4:46 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 29, 2018, 4:28 pm
I rather like the way it is now as to the days of Traffic Lights
I travel through the intersection 07:00 to 07:20 and anywhere from 16:00hr until 17:00hr each day 5 days a week

Would sooner they leave it the way it is and just clean it up. Right now it is something of a Modified Large Roundabout
I think that really depends on which directions you are coming from or trying to get to.

The current set up is a nightmare for traffic that would normally want to turn right ...from Big C to NK , from NK to tesco/hospital, from Tesco to Udon town or from Town direction going to Big C.

BTW has anyone else noticed how the road surface by the plant stalls has broken up since it has had to deal with all the extra traffic avoiding the old traffic light junction? It was so obvious that traffic was going to use this route that I'm surprised that they didnt resurface it BEFORE they started to take the other lanes out of service ..... Yes I know .... TIT :roll:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2018, 4:54 pm

The morning travel is blending in with the traffic heading to the city then doing an about turn for traffic going to NK. then shortly after coming back to the city say at 08:30 At night time it is again the same route at 15:15 then back into the city at 17:00

I personally see the time shorter without the Traffic Lights

The point is not where you are headed at anytime, I am saying that when the Lights were present it took long to get through

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2018, 4:55 pm

Leave it the way it is now , clean it up somewhat, wide the lanes once again, and presto one Large Roundabout no matter where and when you are going

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 29, 2018, 4:59 pm

I come in from Nong Khai direction on average three times a week it is far more congested at the beginning and early in the month when Thai's have money as the money dwindles so does the traffic, middle to the end ok.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2018, 6:05 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 29, 2018, 4:55 pm
Leave it the way it is now , clean it up somewhat, wide the lanes once again, and presto one Large Roundabout no matter where and when you are going

Big Big drawback to that system Doodoo .......... the basic use of a roundabout depends on the fact that users accept that someone else may have the right of way .... something that just doesnt happen in Thailand :lol:
The bigger the roundabout the bigger the clusterf**k of individuals demanding to be first (just look at the three little un's in Udon centre) :yikes: ](*,) ](*,)

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 29, 2018, 6:09 pm

You are 100% right about that they never look just keep driving in the own manner "UP TO ME" attitude

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2018, 7:55 pm

Fellas teh sytem they have right now is better than what we are in for and that is a system of Traffic lights
I enjoy what we have right now
I think it is Great

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2018, 8:44 pm

And where pray are these traffic lights going to be?? Perhaps halfway down the underpass or on the downslope from the flyover

Any "lights" will only be to regulate traffic turning right and even then they will be nowhere near as long as previously due to less traffic needing to use the junction

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 29, 2018, 9:52 pm

Station
That is why a roundabout is the answer

Forget the LIGHTS

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 29, 2018, 10:35 pm

#-o :roll: :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 30, 2018, 7:34 am

I’ve used the road a few times at various times of the day/week and so far I’ve found it quicker that it was before when the lights were in place and working, perhaps I’ve just been lucky. Is the intention to have filter lanes onto the main carriageways? I’ve yet to see a Thai driver (other than my missus) who can filter safely and it’ll most likely end up in tears. Traffic lights might work, they did something similar in Canning Town putting lights on the flyover to allow the filter lane to enter the carriageway but of course people take notice of red lights there. It’s going to be interesting.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » May 30, 2018, 8:24 am

I have found it much easier to come in to town from Nong Khai
since these works commenced. I have only once been delayed,
and that was caused by the constant lane changing of individuals
trying to get ahead of the pack. A small fortune could have been saved by
making the "racetrack system" in use at present, into a permanent structure.

However, they are missing appropriate signage and a lack of lane enforcement.

Land surrounding the works should have been compulsory appropriated, to ensure works vehicles have proper safe access and egress to/from the site.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 21, 2018, 5:30 am

It occurs to me that a roadsweeper(and I do mean the vehicle seen at work in Udon -really!, not a guy/lady with a broom :lol: ) might be employed nightly, in lieu of the truck pumping out water, which turns the whole area into a mudbath.
Coming towards Nong Khai, whilst appreciating some narrowing of the space available because of the barriers, there's so much muck on the pavement side lane(I use the term loosely) that it deters drivers from using it. In effect, what is initially 3 lanes becomes 2 1/2 and further out 2 becomes 1 1/2. Makes the bottleneck even tighter.
Similarly, again, understanding that building requires some 'bulges' in the barricades, just a little more thought on the positioning of these things, from a driver's point of view. Coming in, just where the traffic turns left to join the ring road, the two lanes for traffic going straight over are confronted with a barrier, which restricts the lanes to say 1 1/2. I THINK that barricade could be pushed back a couple of metres and traffic going across would flow a little more easily.
Has anyone noticed where the site office is?
Things are certainly taking shape. I wonder if the project is on schedule?

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 21, 2018, 8:22 am

The roads around the works are indeed becoming very difficult to manoeuvre, large pits are forming, and as said above, mud and water everywhere. Avoid the area like the plague during peak hours. Travelling to airport tomorrow morning will see what happens then, an early start however. Overall, the project does seem to be moving along quite well.

Return to “Udon Thani News”