Travel Tidbits

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Travel Tidbits

Post by parrot » April 21, 2018, 7:26 pm

Too many comments to post in separate threads.....but all related to our latest vacation to the US:
- Thongta Resort near Suvarnaphumi Airport sadly needs an update. Despite the pros of being within walking distance of several decent eating establishments and a 7-11, we'll be seeking a new place to stay on our future overnight stops through Bangkok. To make matters worse (for future visitors there), it appears another building is ready to go up immediately in front of the office. That probably won't bode well for people who want to sleep in the early morning.

- For a variety of reasons, we decided to book a full fare flight back from Suvarnaphumi on Thai Smile.....3400 Baht per. That gave us access to the Thai lounge near our gate and we were the only passengers in the foward 18-seat compartment. Despite the short flight, we were served a meal, with linen and silverware......not the standard bagged snack. We had to change the flight to a later date and were not charged for the change. Yes, expensive compared to the budget fare......but what (flight) do you get in the US for $107....with frills?

- After arriving at Thongta, I noticed that the immigration stamp in my passport says 'valid until 18 May' which appears to assume I'm a tourist.....and despite having a reentry stamp in my passport and a retirement extension until mid-Oct. I'm guessing it was oversight on the part of the immigration official.....but I'll need to stop by local immigration to get their read.

- I've been to a lot of airports/international airports in my life.......but have to say that Suvarnaphumi tops the list of my worst experiences. No class, no style, poor seating, warehouse-like, noisy (no carpet), and ill-maintained.

- A broken wrist.....emergency room, surgery with plate/screws, and a few sessions of therapy runs about $12,000. Fortunately medicare/tricare covered it 100%. You take the same risks traveling to the US without insurance as you do in Thailand.......as in, s**t happens when you least expect it.

- Onboard an ANA flight from Bangkok to Tokyo, the flight attendants walked the aisle at the beginning of the flight armed with a smorgasbord of international newspapers. I looked around me and didn't see anyone reading a paper. Later, I asked the attendant if anyone took a paper.....she said, 'no'. A sign of the times.

- Although we got our flu shots before traveling, I had read so many stories about people getting the flu despite the shots.......I went to Bangkok Hospital and got a set of Tamiflu pills.....just in case. Turns out we didn't need them, but it was comforting to know we had them....in case.

- Stop kidding yourselves that Thais are the world's worst drivers. I saw several folks run red lights.....at speed and several seconds after the light changed red. About the only thing different in the US.......you can almost be assured no one will be heading in your lane on a divided highway....except maybe at 2AM or so. Yes, American drivers are mostly courteous, but they have middle fingers, horns, and like to cross 4 lanes of traffic to make a quick exit.

- Just as you'd expect, some things are cheaper/expensive here than there. Mobile phone service here (including data) is dirt cheap compared to there. You will never ever find a bottle of drinking water in the US for the equivalent of 7 baht......and you'll have a hard time dragging your wife out of an Asian food store for less than $50. Stop complaining about the prices of Western food items in Thailand.

- If you're going to be traveling about and need a place to stay or a way to travel short distances....Airbnb and Uber are the way to go.

- Android Pay (or apple pay if you use apple) is a convenient way to pay when you're traveling.....or not.

- You have to wonder what's going to happen to flight attendants in the US when the current fleet of them retires. I doubt we saw one under 40 over several domestic flights.....where as, I'd guess 35 is (forced)
'retirement' age for most Thai flight attendants

more to follow......later

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Travel Tidbits

Post by Stantheman » April 21, 2018, 7:43 pm

Parrot, assuming you flew on the 787 aircraft to Tokyo, how did you like aircraft? Wife complains that aisles are more narrow on 787 then the follow on 777 aircraft she took to Houston

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 22, 2018, 6:50 am

After arriving at Thongta, I noticed that the immigration stamp in my passport says 'valid until 18 May' which appears to assume I'm a tourist.....and despite having a reentry stamp in my passport and a retirement extension until mid-Oct. I'm guessing it was oversight on the part of the immigration official.....but I'll need to stop by local immigration to get their read.

Parrot let us know what happens at Immigration.
That happened to me once but luckily I spotted it & went back to the desk immediately.
The official apologized & put it right.
I was told if I had not spotted it I would have been stamped as a Tourist & would have lost my visa extension which I did not believe.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 22, 2018, 8:45 am

parrot wrote:
April 21, 2018, 7:26 pm
. . .

- After arriving at Thongta, I noticed that the immigration stamp in my passport says 'valid until 18 May' which appears to assume I'm a tourist.....and despite having a reentry stamp in my passport and a retirement extension until mid-Oct. I'm guessing it was oversight on the part of the immigration official.....but I'll need to stop by local immigration to get their read.

. . .
With a re-entry stamp and valid visa through mid October, I would think it would be easy to rectify, but TIT. No telling what will occur, but if you'll be going to UTH Immigration, I would predict no problems.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 22, 2018, 2:15 pm

Stantheman wrote:
April 21, 2018, 7:43 pm
Parrot, assuming you flew on the 787 aircraft to Tokyo, how did you like aircraft? Wife complains that aisles are more narrow on 787 then the follow on 777 aircraft she took to Houston
We flew ANA from Houston to Narita in a 777, then Narita to Bangkok in a 787. We were up in the front of the plane on both flights.......I really didn't detect any difference.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 23, 2018, 11:56 am

Mr Parrot, I'm VERY Surprised YOU Recommend Uber !! (They are not known as The RAPE App " For Nothing !!!)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 23, 2018, 2:07 pm

747man wrote:
April 23, 2018, 11:56 am
Mr Parrot, I'm VERY Surprised YOU Recommend Uber !! (They are not known as The RAPE App " For Nothing !!!)
Ah, I'm a brave man. I've been to NYC since 9/11 and even traveled to California despite the Charles Manson terror attacks there. What with all the 'expat/tourist' ''murders'' in Thailand, I'm surprised you're brave enough to stay.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

I went to immigration today to have the "30 day" entry stamp looked over. The 90-day man told me it's a common error on the part of Suvarnaphumi officials who deal with 99% tourists. He passed me to the official with braces who corrected the error.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 23, 2018, 3:14 pm

747man wrote:

747 ........ always request a female Uber driver ........... unless you decide to turn gay ......... might as well enjoy the trip :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 23, 2018, 6:31 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
April 23, 2018, 3:14 pm
747man wrote:

747 ........ always request a female Uber driver ........... unless you decide to turn gay ......... might as well enjoy the trip :lol:
:fryingpan: :fryingpan: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 24, 2018, 8:46 am

parrot wrote:
April 23, 2018, 2:09 pm
I went to immigration today to have the "30 day" entry stamp looked over. The 90-day man told me it's a common error on the part of Suvarnaphumi officials who deal with 99% tourists. He passed me to the official with braces who corrected the error.
Figured. Udon Immigration has earned a reputation of being fairly consistent and reasonable.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “Travel & Transport”