European Cups 2017/18

General sports news and discussions.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: European Cups 2017/18

Post by stattointhailand » March 10, 2018, 5:32 pm

Perhaps you could arrange for "Mat's musings, the complete works" to be published on kindle at the end of the season so as zid doesn't get bored during the cricket season :lol:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 10, 2018, 7:28 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 10, 2018, 5:32 pm
Perhaps you could arrange for "Mat's musings, the complete works" to be published on kindle at the end of the season so as Zid doesn't get bored during the cricket season :lol:
Great idea Statto. Unfortunately I will have to disappoint Zid, as I shall be posting , (reporting), on the Tennis thread; with Serena Williams & Screamarova temporarily usurping The Mouth, as my hero(ines). :D :lol: \:D/

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 12, 2018, 11:42 am

fixtures.png
fixtures.png (20.99 KiB) Viewed 817 times
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 14, 2018, 6:40 am

score.png
score.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 787 times
After a battling display against Pool this was a very poor United outing, with the midfield totally outplayed. The visitors very much deserved the victory & progression & showed just how much farther United have to go in order to be competitive in Europe.

Roma squeezed through by the narrowest of margins as Shakhtar had a man sent off

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 14, 2018, 7:37 am

Awful performance by United.Why play Rashford on the right when he did so well against Liverpool on the left on Sunday ?
Also,Fellaini wasn't match fit.....even if United had won you couldn't see them getting any further no matter who they played.....Sevilla deserved their win.
Good luck to Chelsea tonight btw.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 14, 2018, 10:59 am

Good luck to Chelsea tonight btw........Can't See them getting ANYTHING At the Nou Camp...

But Then again I May be Wrong !!!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 15, 2018, 4:13 am

Seville (bitter) oranges on sale Tesco now. :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 15, 2018, 6:44 am

score.png
score.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Bayern cruised through having all but won it in the first leg.

Chelsea's plans probably disappeared out the window after only 3 minutes when Messi netted for Barcelona. They never really managed to make much of a contest of it after that...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2018, 10:06 am

In the words of the Bay City Rollers (who?)

If you hate me after what I say
Can't put it off any longer
Just gotta tell yer anyway

Bye bye Conte, Conte goodbye
(Bye Conte, Conte bye bye)
Bye bye Conte, don't make me cry
(Bye Conte, Conte bye bye)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 15, 2018, 10:26 am

Brian Davis wrote:
March 15, 2018, 4:13 am
Seville (bitter) oranges on sale Tesco now. :lol:
But I Was Correct Though,Brian..... :lol: :lol:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 15, 2018, 10:50 am

Like all football fans, the Sevilla coach would have been aware The Mouth's game tactic was certain to be defensively based, and probably follow his usual stereotyped format. This proved to be the case. Cleverly, Sevilla's solution was to copy Mourinho's plan match plan by having their players to sit back, not take any chances going forward, and wait for the Utd players to slip up defensively; which they did. Ironic that Mourinho was unable to come up with a successful counter to, and be ousted from the competition by, his own patented tactic. =; Also, not sure of the relevance of Mourinho's post match diatribe eulogizing his, ( not his teams' !), past successes in the Champions League :-s :roll: :-k [-( =;

Realistically, Chelsea were never in with a chance against Messi, (sorry I mean Barcelona). Nevertheless, a pleasant enough game to watch, thankfully devoid of any controversy. Refreshing that Conte's post match comments consisted solely of compliments directed at Barcelona and, most particularly Messi, and were devoid of any criticism of his players, or of any self serving comments about himself.
Although his past record suggests otherwise, perhaps Abramovich will wake up to Conte's value as a coach, before season's end, and negotiate with him better arrangements than those currently in force. Failing that, it is just possible a top six EPL club may well be seeking a Manager of Conte's quality, come the summer; and I am not referring to Arsenal! :-k

And so on to the next step in Arsenal's, (and Wenger's?), continuing battle to salvage something this season, with tonight's match against AC Milan; which, against all the odds, I am backing Arsenal to win! :-s :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2018, 11:54 am

"And so on to the next step in Arsenal's, (and Wenger's?), continuing battle to salvage something this season, with tonight's match against AC Milan; which, against all the odds, I am backing Arsenal to win! :-s :lol:"

Put it this way, if they cant beat AC Milan (who lets face it are SIXTH in Serie A ..... (that's below Juve AND FOUR OTHER Serie A standard teams) then they may as well just give up ......... who said Wiltshire, Ozil & co already have [-X

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 16, 2018, 8:53 am

score.png
Well the Gunners won through with few difficulties, despite the visitors actually managing to hold a lead on the night - for 4 minutes.. :D
England's forgotten (but now re-remembered for friendlies) forward, Danny Welbeck, managed a brace on the night.

Elsewhere, Atlético Madrid steamed through, scoring 5 goals away to add to the 3 scored at home. Surprise of the night was probably the exit of Borussia Dortmund, who couldn't overturn a home leg loss from the first leg..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 16, 2018, 11:36 am

Three days on and those Seville Oranges are still leaving a bitter taste in the mouth ! :D
I'd rather United had lost 4-2 after leading 2-0 and put on some sort of attacking performance rather than that putrid display we had to endure ! :badteeth:
mathusalah80 wrote:
March 15, 2018, 10:50 am
Although his past record suggests otherwise, perhaps Abramovich will wake up to Conte's value as a coach, before season's end, and negotiate with him better arrangements than those currently in force. Failing that, it is just possible a top six EPL club may well be seeking a Manager of Conte's quality, come the summer; and I am not referring to Arsenal! :-k
Now,an interesting post from the man of 5,000 words.....
Obviously you cant mean Guardiola or Klopp to be replaced so we are down to 2 candidates.
Pochettino has been talked about as taking over at Real Madrid in the summer.
Mourinho....I'm not his biggest fan but cant see it happening.
Whatever happens,if Chelsea do not qualify for the Champions League I think Conte will be gone with,possibly,Luis Enrique taking over ? :-k
Anyway,good luck to our 3 remaining sides in Europe,Manchester City Liverpool and Arsenal.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 16, 2018, 3:01 pm

Zidane wrote:
March 16, 2018, 11:36 am
I'd rather United had lost 4-2 after leading 2-0 and put on some sort of attacking performance rather than that putrid display we had to endure ! :bad teeth: It ain't ever going to happen under Mourinho's management, Zid. I cannot recall any occasion this season when Mourinho has allowed his world class striking force freedom to use those skills, rather than forcing them to play as secondary defenders. [-X Can you?? :-k
mathusalah80 wrote:
March 15, 2018, 10:50 am
, it is just possible a top six EPL club may well be seeking a Manager of Conte's quality, come the summer; and I am not referring to Arsenal! :-k
Zid wrote: An interesting post, as always :D from the man of 5,000 words...( :-s ..Fact Zid averages 1.32 posts per day; Me only .53 per day :-$ ).
Zid wrote: Whatever happens, if Chelsea do not qualify for the Champions League I think Conte will be gone, with, possibly, Luis Enrique taking over ? :-k
Even should Chelsea qualify for the Champions League AND win the FA Cup, I still think Conte is history, given his outspoken criticism of the treatment he has received from Abramovich and his lackeys.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

mathusalah80 wrote:
March 16, 2018, 3:01 pm
Zid wrote: An interesting post, as always :D from the man of 5,000 words...( :-s ..Fact Zid averages 1.32 posts per day; Me only .53 per day :-$ ).

Ah,yes,but Zid only averages 87 words per post whereas mat averages 4,996 ! :wave:

Incidentally,the rerun of Arsenal v AC Milan is now on Bein Sports 1......I didnt watch it live last night but congrats to Danny Welbeck for probably the best dive in the penalty area.....ever ! :-k
He should have been either booked or even sent off for that and a free kick awarded to AC Milan !
They should never have chosen former Labour Home Secretary,David Blunkett,to referee such an important game... ;)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 16, 2018, 7:09 pm

UCL Quarter Final Draw.....

Barcelona v Roma
Sevilla v Bayern
Juve v Madrid
Liverpool v Man City...1st Leg 3rd April @ Analfield....2nd Leg 10th April @ Etihad......

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 16, 2018, 7:22 pm

Don't know what the Liverpool fans will make of the draw.
They have avoided the likes of Barcelona,Real Madrid,Bayern Munich and Juventus but......
I think everyone would have wanted either Roma or Sevilla and its Barcelona and Bayern who got lucky.

In the Europa League the draw is....
RB Leipzig v Marseille
Arsenal v CSKA Moscow
Atletico Madrid v Sporting Lisbon
Lazio v Red Bull Salzburg

Hmmmm....not a good time to be contemplating a trip to Russia.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 17, 2018, 8:46 am

Zidane wrote:
March 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

Ah,yes,but Zid only averages 87 words per post whereas mat averages 4,996 ! :wave:
NOW who is deliberately twisting the truth, or is out of touch with reality! [-X :(
Zid wrote:
Don't know what the Liverpool, (AND City?), fans will make of the draw.
They have avoided the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Juventus but......
its Barcelona and Bayern who got lucky.

Anyone who remembers years ago, when two or more EPL teams invariably figured strongly in this stage of the Champions League, they always seemed to get drawn against each other with remarkable regularity. :-k =; [-( Not being wise after the event, but I am not in the least surprised at this match up; or that Barcelona & Bayern Munich, 'got lucky' :roll:

So far as Arsenal are concerned, perhaps they should consider they are marginally luckier having to face risking food poisoning in Russia, rather than having to face a possible thrashing at Atletico! :-s :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 3, 2018, 8:34 am

fixtures.png
fixtures.png (19.82 KiB) Viewed 898 times
fixtures 1.png
fixtures 1.png (16.95 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Return to “World Sports”