Road Safety

Thailand news, views and comments
Galee
udonmap.com

Road Safety

Post by Galee » February 23, 2018, 9:57 am

In an attempt to improve the carnage on the roads additional information is to be given to Farangs applying for a Thai driving license. :shock:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/depa ... -nationals

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Re: Road Safety

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » February 23, 2018, 10:05 am

its never their fault

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 23, 2018, 1:50 pm

Would like to see a Thai take a U.K. Driving test let alone the bike test.with the genetics of ignorance,selfishness,stupidity,arrogance,lack of awareness and no real policing thailand will keep the number one spot of road deaths per capita not for years but generations to come.i have a Thai friend whose wife is a teacher and has been parking in the same spot for 28 yrs and he has to go out and reverse park it for her every night.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 24, 2018, 6:38 pm

it is strange how degrading some falang think about the thai people in a country they are guest ... :shock:
let us see how many falang would pass the drivers license examination in thai language , as it is thailand here , why should this be in an other language ? , (is there in the uk an option to do the test in thai language?) :-k

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 24, 2018, 7:11 pm

My 1st time to Thailand was 1997..brought my 1st Thai wife back to Thailand using "The Amazing Thailand" travel package of only $999.00, included 10 days,hotels, tours...On the Aircon Tour bus, the director told us "Sometimes Thai people will cross the center line into your lane...you should pull over and let them pass".
My last 5 yr license renewal was a 1 hr video, most Thais slept threw it, paid their 200tb and went out to kill people.
I paid 1,000tb and am serious about road saftey

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 24, 2018, 7:22 pm

kopkei wrote:
February 24, 2018, 6:38 pm
it is strange how degrading some falang think about the thai people in a country they are guest ... :shock:
let us see how many falang would pass the drivers license examination in thai language , as it is thailand here , why should this be in an other language ? , (is there in the uk an option to do the test in thai language?) :-k
As a member of Asean they are obligated to use English so all member country's can communicate.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 24, 2018, 7:40 pm

kopkei wrote:
Its probably available in Urdu, Hindi and Polish. :shock:

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » February 24, 2018, 8:37 pm

I've only used Grab 3 times (all very recently). All 3 drivers (including 2 ladies) were capable of passing the ROADA test in the UK. Far higher standard than many Western drivers over here. Long may the attempts to improve all of our driving standards continue.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » February 25, 2018, 1:44 am

kopkei wrote:
There used to be the option (withdrawn in 2014) to take the driving theory test in 21 foreign languages but Thai was not included.
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/theory- ... uages.html

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » February 25, 2018, 2:35 am

There used to be option to bring a translator with you to the test, not open to corruption at all!

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 25, 2018, 3:47 am

While not UK, here where I live in U.S. theres a driving school that has driving booklet for study at the school in 5 languages, but not Thai, besides english. The test, state approved, is also in those languages. If you pass their test and the behind the wheel test you then can get the State drivers license

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 26, 2018, 2:02 pm

My first experience of driving without a driving instructor was in Libya (before i passed my test). So i fitted in with the Thai driving experience seamlessly .....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 27, 2018, 6:56 am

Marcosteffano wrote:
February 23, 2018, 1:50 pm
Would like to see a Thai take a U.K. Driving test let alone the bike test. ..
Why?

Is your driving superiority here being suddenly challenged by the locals?

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 27, 2018, 10:12 am

kopkei wrote:
Oh yeah the old guest thing again.next it'll be the culture and we should except their ways while living here and all drive like maniacs.you know the old when in Rome do as the romans done..reality and truth are not part of Thai culture either.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 27, 2018, 10:39 am

tamada wrote:
February 27, 2018, 6:56 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
Why?

No chance but we need this guy out here.https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f9_1519599836

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 27, 2018, 10:45 am

From every day experience approx 70 - 80% of Thais would fail the UK test as they are unable to read a road sign 2 yards (let alone 25 yards) in front of them. When you have a "No entry" sign AND 2 "Turn left only" signs and they still drive past them, what hope have you got apart from to say TIT shrug your shoulders, get as far left as you can and watch them drive past.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 27, 2018, 2:34 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
February 27, 2018, 10:12 am
kopkei wrote:
Oh yeah the old guest thing again.next it'll be the culture and we should except their ways while living here and all drive like maniacs.you know the old when in Rome do as the romans done..reality and truth are not part of Thai culture either.
Have you ever driven in Rome? If you don't drive like them, you will become a statistic.

Same applies here.

Mind how you go out there and don't use the horn too much, ok?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 27, 2018, 2:35 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 27, 2018, 10:45 am
From every day experience approx 70 - 80% of Thais would fail the UK test as they are unable to read a road sign 2 yards (let alone 25 yards) in front of them. When you have a "No entry" sign AND 2 "Turn left only" signs and they still drive past them, what hope have you got apart from to say TIT shrug your shoulders, get as far left as you can and watch them drive past.
What is the relevancy of any single Thai being able to pass a UK road competency test if they are driving in Thailand?

Anyone?
Last edited by tamada on February 27, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 27, 2018, 2:37 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
February 27, 2018, 10:39 am
tamada wrote:
February 27, 2018, 6:56 am
Marcosteffano wrote:
Why?

No chance but we need this guy out here.https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f9_1519599836
I like that. All those eastern European dick head drivers getting out all shirty like, "Whyfor you not see me?"

And NO tinted windows either!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

I was just discussing road safety with my wife last evening. Her daughter's roomy has a bad habit of pulling up to a red traffic light and immediately shifting the automatic transmission into neutral to wait for the light to change green. I told her the story of the two times in my life when I was nearly rear-ended while stopped at a traffic light. Each time a car was approaching at a high speed and either had brake failure or was unable to stop in time for some strange reason, but I saw them coming in the rear view mirror and was quick-minded enough to pull around the car in front of me and get out of the way just in time. Just that split second that it takes to shift from neutral back to drive would have resulted in a terrible accident for me had I been in the habit of sitting at the red light in neutral. With all the red light runners in Thailand one must have eyes going 360 degrees at all times at traffic lights and be prepared to get out of the way at any given moment. My wife replied that when she took her driver's training course at Smart Drive, the instructor taught her to put the car in park when stopped at a traffic light. Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!! The blind leading the blind!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Return to “Thailand News”